PDA

View Full Version : Difference between ONRW&S and ONRW&W

Pages : [1] 2

sportflyer
01-14-2017, 06:34 PM
What the difference between the two Optimum No Rinse products W&S and W&W ? Is one easier to use than the other? Tks

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-14-2017, 06:38 PM
Simply put, ONRW&W has a wax component in it whereas the normal blue ONR does not. I`v had a few Optimum "leaders" recommend ONRW&W for maintanence washes and the blue ONR for everything else. Personally, I stick to the normal blue ONR. If I want a wax component added, Ill use a spray wax or similar as I dry.

mwoolfso
01-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Simply put, ONRW&W has a wax component in it whereas the normal blue ONR does not. I`v had a few Optimum "leaders" recommend ONRW&W for maintanence washes and the blue ONR for everything else. Personally, I stick to the normal blue ONR. If I want a wax component added, Ill use a spray wax or similar as I dry.

+1

sportflyer
01-14-2017, 11:49 PM
OK. I understand. I will just use the blue ONR for washing.

Last week was the first time I used ONR . I used it in the garage when the temperature was 40 deg F.
I sprayed each panel with ONR at QD concentration before washing with regular concentration . It works very well but now I am wondering whether the pre spray is really necessary .

tpr1634
01-14-2017, 11:54 PM
I pre treat it can't hurt then I use the big red sponge.

spazzz
01-15-2017, 12:02 AM
QD strength isn't necessary for a pre-rinse.

Fill a bucket with 2 gallons of water and pour 1 oz of ONR in. Just fill your bottle from that and you will have 1:256 rinseless ratio.

I'll admit I use 1 ounce in a gallon pump sprayer, so 1:128 for me.

The Guz
01-15-2017, 02:16 AM
OK. I understand. I will just use the blue ONR for washing.

Last week was the first time I used ONR . I used it in the garage when the temperature was 40 deg F.
I sprayed each panel with ONR at QD concentration before washing with regular concentration . It works very well but now I am wondering whether the pre spray is really necessary .

It depends on how dirty the paint is. If it is not to dirty a pre-soak is not necessary. I wash weekly with the big red sponge and I don't pre-soak.

QD strength isn't necessary for a pre-rinse.

Fill a bucket with 2 gallons of water and pour 1 oz of ONR in. Just fill your bottle from that and you will have 1:256 rinseless ratio.

I'll admit I use 1 ounce in a gallon pump sprayer, so 1:128 for me.

I agree with this.

To the op I make 4 to 4.5 gallons of ONR. I only use one bucket when using ONR. No two bucket needed with ONR. I will dunk my pump sprayer or spray bottle into that bucket I make before I use it to have a bottle of ONR for a pre-soak if needed or just general usage for interiors or glass.

sportflyer
01-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Good point about using wash concentration for a spray pre rinse .

As for usage , I find that I use less the 1/2 the ONR wash solution for 2 cars over 2 days. I wash only one car per day . I also find that using 2 rinse buckets is most helpful , the first one with dirt guard , the second just plain water. 2 rinses keep the cleaning mitts much cleaner before dipping in the ONR. I find it faster to use 3 wash mitts .

One other interesting observation is that the car appears to be less messy from road splash when driving through snow and slush after being washed with ONR ...More slick so the splashes wont stick as much ? Maybe I should keep my unused ONR in the wash bucket for a quick wipe down of the lower panels of the car after a run in messy road conditions rather than throw it away.

WillSports3
01-15-2017, 11:04 AM
You can pretty much keep your wash media in the unused ONR in the wash bucket. No need to throw it away unless you need to throw it away. I think a lot of the guys who use ONR just keep the BRS in the ONR solution until next time they need it. And like the others have said above, no need for a rinse bucket with ONR. You would be surprised at what you could get away with when you use ONR.

davidc
01-15-2017, 12:43 PM

I use the ONRW&W for the added wax that supposedly has the patented UVA and UVB protection which is definately a plus in the South West.

Dave

sportflyer
01-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions . For my usage , I think the 32 Oz ONR will last a long time :)

The Guz
01-15-2017, 03:04 PM
Good point about using wash concentration for a spray pre rinse .

As for usage , I find that I use less the 1/2 the ONR wash solution for 2 cars over 2 days. I wash only one car per day . I also find that using 2 rinse buckets is most helpful , the first one with dirt guard , the second just plain water. 2 rinses keep the cleaning mitts much cleaner before dipping in the ONR. I find it faster to use 3 wash mitts .

One other interesting observation is that the car appears to be less messy from road splash when driving through snow and slush after being washed with ONR ...More slick so the splashes wont stick as much ? Maybe I should keep my unused ONR in the wash bucket for a quick wipe down of the lower panels of the car after a run in messy road conditions rather than throw it away.

Check out the rag company you tube channel. Yvan Lacroix goes into good detail on ONR. He recommends one bucket. He also states that if using 2 buckets then both buckets should have ONR. It makes sense as he has stated before that the plain water from one bucket is introduced into the bucket of ONR which could dilute it even more.

Here is an example of the dirt that settles down at the bottom of the bucket after I had taken out the grit guard. The ONR itself is clear and the dirt clumps up at the bottom. I used this wash solution about 4-5 times. I could have used it for one more wash if there was more ONR solution that I could use with the big red sponge.

One additional thing I did was cut 1 inch off the legs of the grit guard. This allows me to have more access to the ONR solution. Thanks to Yvan for that tip.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3307/IMG_7344a.jpg

You can pretty much keep your wash media in the unused ONR in the wash bucket. No need to throw it away unless you need to throw it away. I think a lot of the guys who use ONR just keep the BRS in the ONR solution until next time they need it. And like the others have said above, no need for a rinse bucket with ONR. You would be surprised at what you could get away with when you use ONR.

This is true. I leave the BRS in the solution each time. I do clean out the BRS with APC every few washes. The gamma seal lid is a must for any rinseless wash.

k20trick
01-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Check out the rag company you tube channel. Yvan Lacroix goes into good detail on ONR. He recommends one bucket. He also states that if using 2 buckets then both buckets should have ONR. It makes sense as he has stated before that the plain water from one bucket is introduced into the bucket of ONR which could dilute it even more.

Here is an example of the dirt that settles down at the bottom of the bucket after I had taken out the grit guard. The ONR itself is clear and the dirt clumps up at the bottom. I used this wash solution about 4-5 times. I could have used it for one more wash if there was more ONR solution that I could use with the big red sponge.

One additional thing I did was cut 1 inch off the legs of the grit guard. This allows me to have more access to the ONR solution. Thanks to Yvan for that tip.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3307/IMG_7344a.jpg

This is true. I leave the BRS in the solution each time. I do clean out the BRS with APC every few washes. The gamma seal lid is a must for any rinseless wash.

Why cut one leg off of the grit guard. I'm not understanding that. I never tried the sponge method I use 10-12 microfibers per car, and my solution never gets dirty.

The Guz
01-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Why cut one leg off of the grit guard. I'm not understanding that. I never tried the sponge method I use 10-12 microfibers per car, and my solution never gets dirty.

All the legs were cut not just one. It allows the grit guard to sit lower and allow access to more ONR solution than the typical height of the grit guard. I have moved strictly to the big red sponge when using ONR. The sponge is designed to pick up the dirt and it is released as it is agitated against the grit guard. With the BRS I am only using a handful of towels. Saves me from washing more towels than I need to and the sponge is always there when I need it.

k20trick
01-15-2017, 03:56 PM
All the legs were cut not just one. It allows the grit guard to sit lower and allow access to more ONR solution than the typical height of the grit guard. I have moved strictly to the big red sponge when using ONR. The sponge is designed to pick up the dirt and it is released as it is agitated against the grit guard. With the BRS I am only using a handful of towels. Saves me from washing more towels than I need to and the sponge is always there when I need it.

I see good point, I never realized that. How does that sponge work out for you. One of the reasons I never used it was because I was worried the dirt might not be fully released when rinsing and when going for another pass there might be more chances of micro scratching.

I normally use fresh microfibers that always show a clean side. Washing them makes them like new again occassionally I'll have little leaf particles stuck in a few which get downgraded to wheels, but for the majority of the time they come out fresh ready to be used again.