PDA

View Full Version : Trimming pads?

AZpolisher15
01-14-2017, 12:27 AM
I've got fifteen 4" LC flats and six 3" LC flats. All brand new and in a variety of colors. I don't see myself using them now that I've tried the thin pros and Boss pads. I'm liking the thins much better than the older thicker pads. Has anyone ever tried trimming the thickness of older pads down in order to create a "DIY thin pad"?

Well, I got to experimenting... with an electric knife (queue the peanut gallery). I've sliced one down and it looks pretty good. Nice and even. I'm not ballsy enough to put it on my paint yet!

VISITOR
01-14-2017, 01:42 AM
i wouldn't trim them down, they won't be precisely cut right which can or cannot have an impact on how they perform and not to mention look ugly. put them up in the samples thread and maybe someone can put them to good use...

The Guz
01-14-2017, 02:07 AM
Check out this thread. Maybe you can do something like this. I've trimmed down a couple old Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads to use with the Rupes nano. They worked performed very well.

Review - KXK Dynamics Punch Set (http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/186800-review-kxk-dynamics-punch-set.html)

i wouldn't trim them down, they won't be precisely cut right which can or cannot have an impact on how they perform and not to mention look ugly. put them up in the samples thread and maybe someone can put them to good use...

I don't know why it would matter how they look. Nobody is going to see them other than the user.

DBAILEY
01-14-2017, 03:17 AM
How would you trim the thickness of the pad down? What tools? A 4.5" razor cutting guillotine style with the pad on its side seems like what you would need. It would be hard to do without compressing the foam which will end up giving you a wavy cut surface.

I would hold onto the 4" and 3" pads as is. The more I use the Mini 75 the more I am becoming accustomed to fact that it is just not the right tool for many panels. Especially the concave and convex surfaces on the bumpers. Its too much pad movement due to the extra total area the pad covers the and it will be difficult to keep the rotation from stalling. Imagine if the Mini had 21mm of throw, it would stall like crazy on those surfaces. I know, I wanted to make that little $300 machine do it all too. I've gone back to using my 8mm polishers with a 4" backing plate because the pad movement fits those concave/convex surfaces better. I use the B&S 4" pads which are not as thick as the LC ones. I don't own an IBrid yet, so maybe that is truly the ultimate polisher for these types of surfaces and make my point moot. I'll find out one of these days.

That KXK Dynamics Punch set is a good idea. The cost savings is obvious to see after reading their product description. Now, I did not expect it to cost $250 for the set! It would probably take me too long to recoup that cost from the savings you get making your own pads, but some of guys probably would recoup the cost in 6 months. Those smaller pads just don't last very long so you making them for under a $1 a piece is much easier to swallow than buying each one at $4-8 a piece.

Mike@ShineStruck
01-14-2017, 04:10 PM
I would never bother to trim them down thinner....now cutting down to smaller diameter yes in deed.

Eldorado2k
01-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Instead of butchering them, why not just turn them into foam applicator pads to apply whatever you normally would use yellow foams for... Its not like you're ever going to use a butchered down pad over your brand new Thinpros.

Sent from my iPhone

Crispy
01-14-2017, 06:14 PM
$250.00 USD is insane for three tools and a piece of hard rubber (sorry you also get a plastic mallet).

That is the sale price (regular is a wopping $294.99 USD).

That is approx. $390.00 CND plus shipping and Customs.

Too rich for my blood.

I'll go down to the local pipe supplier and get 3 stainless steel end pieces in 1", 2" and 3".

Put a sharp edge on them with my grinder and use a hammer and piece of wood as a pad.

Will work for sanding papers as well (which is what I use mostly).

Too bad as I was all set to buy this 30 days ago for a project I was doing, but it was not available then.

I have the polisher rack as well and it is top quality but also expensive (imported into Canada).

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Once you put the pieces into your hands and see the quality, you'll understand the price Crispy.

OP, maybe put them up for sale or trade so you can get more thin pads.

AZpolisher15
01-14-2017, 07:37 PM
How would you trim the thickness of the pad down?

An electric kitchen knife. Slices through foam like butter. It makes beautiful cuts. I've made applicator/buffing pads in all shapes and sizes with bulk purchased foam for a variety of polishing tasks. It just so happens they work great for detailing, too- Like getting into small or recessed areas of plastic. I even use it to cut yellow foam pads for polishing odd shaped guage/dash lenses.

ducksfan
01-14-2017, 09:16 PM
I wonder how it would work to rough cut a pad to smaller sizes and then put it in a strapped down rotary and clean it up while spinning with a razor blade.