PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle people who like to be sticklers but are also customers?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill1234
01-13-2017, 02:48 PM
I use the word stickler lightly but what I guess what I am try to ask here is there are people who kind of question alot of out work here and say things like "I can go to the car wash for cheaper" "That takes too long" or the like. I guess those are not the customers you want but when they need something further than the run of the mill, clientel goes to us as that is really the only option other than doing it yourself.

I would like the thread to create discussion but not an argument or hatred towards each other on what have you heard from people (those not into detailing) about detailing and work that you think they should be educated on and how do you personally deal with it?

OptimumAutoSpa
01-13-2017, 03:03 PM
I tell them to give me a call when they're ready. I tell them that I offer a high end service that takes time and skill to complete.

fightnews
01-13-2017, 03:45 PM
I use the word stickler lightly but what I guess what I am try to ask here is there are people who kind of question alot of out work here and say things like "I can go to the car wash for cheaper" "That takes too long" or the like. I guess those are not the customers you want but when they need something further than the run of the mill, clientel goes to us as that is really the only option other than doing it yourself.

I would like the thread to create discussion but not an argument or hatred towards each other on what have you heard from people (those not into detailing) about detailing and work that you think they should be educated on and how do you personally deal with it?

i dont do this for a living but i know a lot of people are cry babies and a lot of people are also very cheap. i dont know how i would deal with it other then take it or leave it. its a little different when you're depending on the money you can't just tell them to f off.

WillSports3
01-13-2017, 04:09 PM
I detail on the side basically, not professional and not quite weekend warrior. I just tell people well if you feel a car wash can do it, then absolutely see what they can do for you. If that works for you, that works for you. If you want the paint restored and for it to look better than or the same as at the showroom, then let's sit down and talk and I'll educate you on what it is that I am charging you for.

FUNX650
01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
(w)hat you think they should
be educated on and how do you
personally deal with it?
I always enjoy pointing them
in the right direction:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_20823.JPG

Bob

Btrahin
01-13-2017, 04:46 PM
At my shop we charge $99 for a complete interior detail. Some people say "oh my gosh that's expensive", others say "wow that's cheap". Just depends on the person I think..

KirkH
01-13-2017, 04:54 PM
I tell them "Pick 2: Fast, Detailed, Cheap."

Octopiston
01-14-2017, 12:17 AM
I'm sure we all do the same with different things to varying degrees in our lives too.
I give a price and time. If those don't work, then they can go elsewhere. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but it has to be worth my time and product too. You can't go to a custom car builder and expect maaco prices.

I recently had a lady that wanted in her words a "full detail." I brought up time and she balked at how long I said it would take. So I explained the work involved. Come to find out, all she wanted was a wash without wax and the interior vacuumed and dusted off. I explained that even my base package went well beyond what she wanted. She ended up going elsewhere, but I'm alright with that. I'm not competing with the local drive through washes that hand dry and vacuum the car out afterward.

k20trick
01-14-2017, 02:11 AM

Im not sure if you do this as a main source of income however IMO if you have customers say that to you, you definitely want to avoid them, especially if you do good work. I consider myself the weekend warrior, however 90% of the people around me call themselves professional and their jobs are worse than mine and imo I would never let them touch my paint. Just let them know what your doing and the consequences of going to that automatic wash or someone who works carelessly and rubs the paint with the same wash mitt they used for the last 10 dirty cars.

I usually show them the methods I use to ensure that their car is being taken care of well and what the normal wash guys would do to their cars and the long term damage it may cause. Once you do a good job, and they go somewhere else for awhile, they will come back.

Luckily I do this on the side as I enjoy doing it, but I kept it to close friends and family only now. Some people will never understand the differences, and I prefer not to adapt to low level quick work, because that's just not me. I've learned to get out of the bad habits not to get back into it.

Of course the only exception is the rust bucket that sits outside all day long, but I would never treat anyone's car, especially someone close to me like that.

dlc95
01-14-2017, 06:32 AM
These discussions are good. They immediately allow you to identify what you are dealing with, and if you even want to deal with them at all. At that point you could chose to inform them what the process entails, or to diplomatically walk away.

Whatever you decide to do, hinges on how much hovering/criticism etc you want to take.

backtees
01-14-2017, 07:32 AM
Not a new axiom in sales but your smaller customers sometimes takes up more time because for them the outlay is a larger percentage of their budget than the customer spending more.

Example, Wal Mart is less concerned with the $100,000 it spends on getting some fleet trucks pressure washed vs the dry cleaner who spends $1000 for same service. Extreme example but just making a point.

Agree with your choice. The extra time to make her truly satisfied could be spent on new prospects.

Not saying customer service not paramount but she is better served with a different service.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LEDetailing
01-14-2017, 09:43 AM
At my shop we charge $99 for a complete interior detail. Some people say "oh my gosh that's expensive", others say "wow that's cheap". Just depends on the person I think..

That sounds like a great deal:)

RippyD
01-14-2017, 09:54 AM
These discussions are good. They immediately allow you to identify what you are dealing with, and if you even want to deal with them at all. At that point you could chose to inform them what the process entails, or to diplomatically walk away.

Whatever you decide to do, hinges on how much hovering/criticism etc you want to take.
Not a pro detailer. Barely an amateur. But this is good, basic business practice. When I was starting out in my 20s I worked a small software/data integration shop. The owner of that place taught me that it's ok and sometimes necessary to say no to a paying customer, and sometimes ok to fire a customer. This was eye opening for me. The customer always comes first, but not when it doesn't make sense for your business.

Bill1234
01-14-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm sure we all do the same with different things to varying degrees in our lives too.
I give a price and time. If those don't work, then they can go elsewhere. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but it has to be worth my time and product too. You can't go to a custom car builder and expect maaco prices.

I recently had a lady that wanted in her words a "full detail." I brought up time and she balked at how long I said it would take. So I explained the work involved. Come to find out, all she wanted was a wash without wax and the interior vacuumed and dusted off. I explained that even my base package went well beyond what she wanted. She ended up going elsewhere, but I'm alright with that. I'm not competing with the local drive through washes that hand dry and vacuum the car out afterward.

Renny Doyle explains the full detail concept well in his book. Im referencing pg 23 of it and he notes its a dangerous way of marketing as everyone thinks about it differently. To me I would have charged it ala carte for the wash and then 100 dollars or above for the interior. Its either she takes it or leaves it. Some people are also crazy in my mind

Octopiston
01-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Renny Doyle explains the full detail concept well in his book. Im referencing pg 23 of it and he notes its a dangerous way of marketing as everyone thinks about it differently. To me I would have charged it ala carte for the wash and then 100 dollars or above for the interior. Its either she takes it or leaves it. Some people are also crazy in my mind

I don't market like that, she just used that term, but he is right. I started talking about paint correction packages while she just meant she wanted a wash. It was slow, I wanted something to do, and she was referred by a buddy that has a mechanic shop so I even cut her a good deal on my quote for my basic exterior and interior package for her suv, but that was still too much for her.