PDA

View Full Version : How would you polish and wax this INSANE GTR's FINISH???

seanzh12
01-13-2017, 02:59 AM
Hi all, saw this GTR a few months ago at a car show in Shanghai, China. Would it be possible to polish, seal, coating or film it? From a weekend retailer I won't think it's possible to seal this finish since any kind of product will be left into the engraved carving...

Out of curiosity is there anyway to protect this kind of finish?
Feed back please

DBAILEY
01-13-2017, 04:01 AM
That looks like bare metal. Was it? Blackfire metal sealant? Probably a metal polish if you want to polish and you might need to do it all by hand. I'm sure that the embossed surface will be a pain to get the dried product out of. So a metal sealant that removes easily. Opt Metal polish is an easy one. You could probably coat it, but not sure what the best way to prep that for a coating. A metal polish then something like DP Coating Prep polish to make sure the bare metal is clean?

seanzh12
01-13-2017, 04:20 AM
To be honest I'm not sure on the material of the body since there weren't any reps to talk to at the time. Opt Metal Polish does sound good, I imagine a mf towel or a foam pad won't be able transfer the product into some of the embossed area, right? Then how about using a brush? Even so, wouldn't Opt metal polish or any other product "fill" the embossed section and leaving the finish "level"? Just glad that I'm not the one who's prepping it

JKDesign
01-13-2017, 10:46 AM
This is a very trick textured 3D paint job that is on the entire body of the car. The bumpers, a-pillars, and rocker moldings on this car are not metal from the factory. The entire vehicle was sprayed in a hard high-build primer, then that primer was engraved,then the entire car was sprayed with base coat/clear coat. So luckily it just has to be cared for like any other paint job.

Gold Nissan GT-R with Metal Engraving Has Matching Gold Engine in Japan - autoevolution (http://www.autoevolution.com/news/gold-nissan-gt-r-with-metal-engraving-has-matching-gold-engine-in-japan-104358.html)

KUHL Racing Nissan GT-R Has Engraved Metal Paint » AutoGuide.com News (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/01/kuhl-racing-nissan-gt-r-has-engraved-metal-paint.html)

Eldorado2k
01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
All I'd need to polish that is some 00 Steel Wool and a leaf blower. Lol. I seriously would try a test spot with that method..

Sent from my iPhone

DBAILEY
01-14-2017, 04:22 AM
It reminds me of when a took a leather tooling elective class back in middle school back in the 70's. Using the different stamps to hammer the pattern into the leather. I think I still have the belt and knife sheath that I made.