PDA

View Full Version : Removing Ice/Frost from Windshields and Windows

67Customs
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
How do you remove/prevent ice or frost on your windows?

I park my Jeep in the garage, so that one isn't a problem. However, my wife parks outside. I have her pull up as close to the house as she can and this prevents the majority of frost/ice on the windshield. However, it still gets on the others. I am skeptical of ice scrapers because of the possibility of scratches, so I use a spray de-icer. I spray it on a microfiber and wipe the frost off. I don't have time for a car cover either.

So, what are your methods? What do you do or use?

supercharged
11-14-2007, 11:14 PM
How do you remove/prevent ice or frost on your windows?

I park my Jeep in the garage, so that one isn't a problem. However, my wife parks outside. I have her pull up as close to the house as she can and this prevents the majority of frost/ice on the windshield. However, it still gets on the others. I am skeptical of ice scrapers because of the possibility of scratches, so I use a spray de-icer. I spray it on a microfiber and wipe the frost off. I don't have time for a car cover either.

So, what are your methods? What do you do or use?
Never had a problem with OXO ice scraper. Use it on windshield only, don't use it on paint. Use a light pressure, just enough to remove ice.

DaGonz
11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
If you get sun in the driveway.. park the car so that the sunlight hits it.Even in winter, the sun has enough power to sofeten and melt ice and frost.

If you have a remote starter, preset the heat/defrost mode and start the car witht eh remote. Finsh your coffe, you'll go out to a warm car, a deiced windsheild and a warm feeling!

67Customs
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
don't use it on paint.:joking:???

I honestly don't know anyone that would use an ice scraper on the paint.

You have never noticed extra, fine scratches after using the scraper over the winter. I did on a couple of pervious cars I owned and I have never used one since. Granted, it was just an ice scraper from Advance Auto, but how different can ice scrapers be? Sure the handles can be different, but the part that does the scraping is pretty much flat plastic.

If you get sun in the driveway.. park the car so that the sunlight hits it.Even in winter, the sun has enough power to sofeten and melt ice and frost.

If you have a remote starter, preset the heat/defrost mode and start the car witht eh remote. Finsh your coffe, you'll go out to a warm car, a deiced windsheild and a warm feeling!I get sun in my driveway, but not at 6:00 in the morning. I can't let my wife's car sit in the driveway until the sun melts the frost. She would be slightly late for work.

It is a pain in the butt and extremely complicated to hook up a remote start to an Audi. The guage cluster reads the key and unless the cluster senses the key in the ignition, the Imobilizer is active and the car will not start. You have to do quite a bit of technical rewiring to hook a decent remote start up. I don't let the cars warm up that long anyway. It isn't good for the motor. Causes more wear than normal.

joe.p
11-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I park my Jeep in the garage, so that one isn't a problem. However, my wife parks outside.This is easy..Put your wifes car in the garage and park yours outside..lol..get her a remote start for the car ..this way she can get into a warm car and defrost the ice at the same time..my last two cars have had remote starts you need it if you live in a place with colder climates and snow..i couldn't imagine not having one

67Customs
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Then I would have to scrape ice off the windows off the Jeep that is newer.

Read my post above. It isn't easy to put a remote start on her Audi. Besides, it isn't good for a car to idle for long in the morning anyway, so I don't let them just sit there warming up. And if I did, I would just walk out the door, start the car and walk back in. No need to spend money on a remote start for me.

Anyone know of a cover for the windshield? One that doesn't wrap around and shut in the doors.