PDA

View Full Version : Any Mechanics out there.........

YankeeFan
11-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Just trying to find out what size air compressor to get that will easily remove 5 wheel lugs without waiting for it to refill. Trying to get something that works well but not spend a month's mortgage on.

Howard

scottgt
11-14-2007, 12:54 PM
ive done it with a 5 gallon

budman3
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I have a 33 gallon compressor and at 90psi it refills once to do 4 wheels (on and off) I believe.

Jimmie
11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Don't even want to tell you what size compressor I've got but it's small. About once per month I've seen the Sears Craftsman 33 gal w/ 10 piece air tool kit on sale.

dontsleeponit
11-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Did someone say mechanic? lol

I havent shopped for a compressor in a long time. Its funny you ask for mechanics, because most will tell you that you need some crazy 5 horse 80 gallon compressor to use air tools, which is wrong.

The biggest thing to look at when shopping for one is the CFM @ 90psi and the tank size. All cheaper compressors are going to be single stage and be noisy, but they should last a LONG time under light duty like a home garage.

The 33 gallon craftsman at sears seems to be good for the money. Compare it to the 17 gallon they sell, and for just a little more money you get a much better compressor in the 33 gallon.

There may be better deals to be gotten on the internet, but then you gott pay shipping, and thats not gonna be cheap for one of these things. I would compare prices and specs of compressors at sears, home depot, lowes, and any other place you may have locally.

As far as I know, theres isnt much of a difference in pump quality in consumer grade compressors at the lower price ranges. I have used craftsman, husky, and camble hausfeld small compressors, all with no issues.

Again, the most important spec for running automotive air tools like an impact gun, air ratchet, etc.. is the CFM @ 90psi and the tank size. Get the largest CFM and tank size your budget will allow you, and you wont be disappointed.

If you have any other questions or particular models you were looking at,just let me know Howard.

Locc
11-17-2007, 06:57 AM
Again, the most important spec for running automotive air tools like an impact gun, air ratchet, etc.. is the CFM @ 90psi and the tank size. Get the largest CFM and tank size your budget will allow you, and you wont be disappointed.

cfm is one of the most important things you look for when buying a compressor. dontsleeponit your right on the money with this one :righton:

med
11-17-2007, 08:04 AM
These guys are correct. Just because it is a 33 gallon look @ the motor and it could be like 1.5 hp. Not going to be enough and you waiting for a long time. Get what you can afford and if it might take some more time to get the scratch I would wait. I have had my Sears for a long time(15+yrs.). Its a 20 gallon 4hp. I have beat the snot out of it and it just keeps rocking. I do have to wait for max pressure to do the heavy stuff like my d/a. That tool is rated to be used at 13cfm and 90 psi. That is a lot of draw.
Good luck on your purchase.:)