PDA

View Full Version : New Car 1st Detail

Pages : [1] 2

stealthjetta
01-11-2017, 10:50 AM
I'm trying to get ideas of what type of detail should be done on a new car. This is what I had in mind but please let me know what you would add or change.

Wash and Dry
Clay
Sealant

I have been hearing about removing iron deposits, but I'm not that familiar with this step, and whether or not it should be done on a new car.

Setec Astronomy
01-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Well, the clay will remove iron deposits. Removing them chemically is another way to do it, and may remove below-surface deposits that the clay leaves behind. The "iron-eating" products have only been around for about 5 years, before that people used to just use clay (or use decon acid).

If you want to use an iron-eater, it's pretty simple, spray it on after the wash step and let it dwell for a bit, then rinse or rewash. They smell pretty bad, however.

pheerix
01-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Well, the clay will remove iron deposits. Removing them chemically is another way to do it, and may remove below-surface deposits that the clay leaves behind. The "iron-eating" products have only been around for about 5 years, before that people used to just use clay (or use decon acid).

If you want to use an iron-eater, it's pretty simple, spray it on after the wash step and let it dwell for a bit, then rinse or rewash. They smell pretty bad, however.

Are there any that don't smell horrible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KirkH
01-11-2017, 11:26 AM
No they all smell like sulfur.

My process for a new car is:

wash with Clean Slate or strong Citrus wash
IronX shampoo
synthetic clay block
polish with coating prep such as Car Pro Essence Plus and a white pad
coat with Opti Gloss Coat

lane5515
01-11-2017, 01:04 PM

IronX shampoo
synthetic clay block

CarPro Essence Plus should not be used BEFORE a coating. Regular Essence works as a primer for some coatings and Essence Plus can be used on coated vehicles.

KirkH
01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Yes my bad. Typo.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-11-2017, 04:40 PM

IronX shampoo
synthetic clay block

I personally wouldn't recommend applying Gloss Coat over CarPro Essence. CarPro CQuartz Classic or Relaod would be be better options honestly. Synergy.

james751993
01-11-2017, 05:01 PM
That three step process is good. Maybe add a polishing step too to remove any light swirls (if you can see any). Itd be a good idea to check for any marring after the clay step, polish will remove this. I recommend meguiars m205 :dblthumb2:

james751993
01-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Collinite 845 for a wax/sealant

KirkH
01-11-2017, 05:05 PM
yeah I was going to say just polish with a prep but I tried to come up with a brand real quickly and blew it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

stealthjetta
01-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Ok, when you recommend a light polish, do you mean the entire car, or just spots where you see swirls or marring. Also, is what is marring exactly? Is it the same as light scratches?

I just picked up some M205 recently and a Griot's random orbital machine, so am good to go there.

KirkH
01-12-2017, 09:27 AM
Yes polish the entire car, then wipe away the polishing oils with a solution of 25% isopropyl alcohol/75% water before applying coating.

CParrott
01-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Yes polish the entire car, then wipe away the polishing oils with a solution of 25% isopropyl alcohol/75% water before applying coating.

CarPro eraser is also a very good surface prep. Smells great as well.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-12-2017, 09:52 AM
What kind of car and color?

stealthjetta
01-12-2017, 03:17 PM
What kind of car and color?

It's a Ruby Red Mustang. This isn't the bright red color, more like a burgundy.