PDA

View Full Version : Clean road grime without hand washing

Pages : [1] 2

beavis87
01-08-2017, 02:13 AM
As an Uber driver, I feel riders want a ride in a car that looks clean and strive to provide that. However, not all of us have access to a location, water spigot, and garden hose or pressure washer where we can wash our cars with the 2-bucket method. I live in an apartment building, and besides lack of such amenities like a water spigot and outlet, its frowned upon to start up a pressure washer and have over spray on their vehicles while you wash your own. I usually wash my car at a self service car wash, and have to rely on the foam brush to effectively clean the road grime around the fenders, doors, rear trunk lid and bumper. I always rinse it off before using, but its an added step and even then I don't feel comfortable using it do to risk of scatching paint. I want to know if there's a product which I can spray before I start spraying that will make the road grime come off without having to scrub the paint with the foam brush. Problem with the foam brush is that even with using it you cant really see how well you're getting the road grime off because its covered in foam, so then I have to go back to the wash and do it again. Having to keep my car clean at these places costs money so it adds up. I really would like something that can at least loosen it before I start so that the pressure washer can effectively remove it. Thanks

Eldorado2k
01-08-2017, 02:47 AM
I used this today for the 1st time on the lower portions of my brother car which hadn't been washed in at least a couple months if not more...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170108/eff16ae2962e4c7f653fa05185be7aba.jpg

It actually worked pretty darn good, the grime came off easily, however I was using a washmitt soaked in suds to remove it. Would it work with a pressure washer? I would tend to think it would... I've also heard good things about Poor Boys Bug Squash.

Sent from my iPhone

DogRescuer
01-08-2017, 06:58 AM
. I usually wash my car at a self service car wash, and have to rely on the foam brush to effectively clean the road grime around the fenders, doors, rear trunk lid and bumper. I always rinse it off before using, but its an added step and even then I don't feel comfortable using it do to risk of scatching paint. QUOTE]

Before some recommendations, you do understand that the brush you said your using causes scratches right?

DogRescuer
01-08-2017, 07:06 AM
Obviously you do. Well to start I would look into doing rinseless washes (after using coinop to remove heavy crap) water only. Consider keeping a good coat of wax on the car, it will help with keeping it maintained in the future.
Steve

WRAPT C5Z06
01-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Not sure I understand these specific bug removers. Use an APC and it will work just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
01-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Not sure I understand these specific bug removers. Use an APC and it will work just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

I used to say the same thing about tire cleaners... But if you've ever used a general tire cleaner i.e. D143 and compare it to Tuff Shine or Mckee's Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator you'll quikly see there's a difference in the results.

I've only tried it once so far, but it did seem like there was a moderate difference between just simply using diluted APC [which I have always used for that task]

Sent from my iPhone

Lt1xL82
01-08-2017, 11:22 AM
The use of APC and other strong chemicals is likely removing any protection that is on the vehicle.

rlmccarty2000
01-08-2017, 12:49 PM
I haven't heard of anything removing road film without manual agitation. I would start with using a good coating and layering it with 3 coats. For washing I would rinse with a pressure washer, then spray a diluted APC, rinse again and then decide if you want to instill some scratches/marring on the coating. The coating should protect the paint for awhile. As this is a Uber vehicle you are not going for show quality, just very clean. Don't try to keep it up to Geek standards. I would try to stay away from the car wash brushes. Too much dirt and abrasive material even if you rinse the brush. Just try to save your paint. You only get to polish out scratches so many times before you go through the clear coat.

Eldorado2k
01-08-2017, 01:17 PM
The coating should protect the paint for awhile. As this is a Uber vehicle you are not going for show quality, just very clean. Don't try to keep it up to Geek standards. I would try to stay away from the car wash brushes.

If the coating's going to protect the paint, and it's just an Uber vehicle that shouldn't be kept up to geek standards, why shouldn't he use the brush? Especially when you recommend he should just stick with diluted APC to try to combat the road grime, that pretty much leaves him no other option than to use the brush... At least if he tried a dedicated product he would have a much better chance of it coming off with just the pressure washer.

This past week I went out to do a maintenance wash on a vehicle but forgot my wheel & tire cleaner... Luckily I had my bottle of APC to substitute, but the difference was pretty obvious, it took quite a bit more agitation than it normally does to clean the wheels & tires.

Sometimes products are hype, sometimes they're not.

Sent from my iPhone

Eldorado2k
01-08-2017, 01:18 PM
-

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-08-2017, 01:21 PM
I looked at your location, which is El Paso, TX correct? If so....

Look up rinseless washing. It is a simple technique that you can literally do in your parking lot. If you live upstairs, yes it is tedious carrying a bucket down, but you'll be fine. Here would be a great shopping list to get you started:

- Optimum No Rinse 32oz bottle
- Grit guard
- Optimum Big Red sponge or a nice microfiber mitt (I am a Big Red Sponge user)
- Waffle Weave towels (Get a few big ones.)
- Optimum Opti Seal

Stuff to get at Home Depot:

- Plain white bucket
- Gamma lid
- Pack of crap 16x16 microfiber towels (Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc.)
- Empty spray bottle

Once you`ve acquired all of this, you'll be fully equipped to wash & seal your whole car in your parking lot. Will there be runoff? Very very little and the chemicals you're using are not harmful.

You will basically wash with the rinseless solution, and use Opti Seal as you dry. Opti Seal is great because you can seal your glass, trim, and paint all together and protect your paint.

As for wheels, take one and soak it in the rinseless solution then wring out. Fold in 4. Use a clean side to wipe each wheel then use a dry one to dry the wheel. You have 8 clean sides per towel, so use a clean side per wheel and then you have clean sides to do jambs.

Tire shine...there are a ton.

The spray bottle is to put some rinseless solution in to pre spray nasty lower areas on your car before washing.

If you're upstairs, only mix say 3 gallons at a time to make carrying easier.

You can literally put everything else you need in a duffel bag or a dedicated bag of some type.

With this bag and closed bucket, you'll be able to save money from going to the pay and spray and be able to keep your car looking amazing.

Bonus....the rinseless solution is great for wiping down your interior to keep it clean.

I can fill in the gaps for you if need. Buy if you search rinseless washing, you'll find a ton of videos and such here and on the internet.

Lt1xL82
01-08-2017, 03:22 PM
In post 7, I should of said "sealant and wax" instead of "protection". Coatings would hold up to APC and strong cleaners longer than sealant and wax.

Regardless, I do not see "touchless" as a great solution for the OP.

Real Riders
01-08-2017, 03:34 PM
Very simple. Run the car thru a touchless car wash. Drive it home and rinseless wash it in the heated garage with ONR in hot water using microfibers , wash mitt, or a sponge. Dry the vehicle with a waffle weave

Eldorado2k
01-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Forget the stinkin buckets. Waterless wash every other day. It can be done in less than 10min.

Sent from my iPhone

vanev
01-08-2017, 06:21 PM
There is going to be a steady amount of work involved, no matter what approach or process you take.
As an Uber driver, you are on the road more, so your vehicle will get dirtier, more often.

Advice:
- Start out with a professional detail.
Either hire a professional or do it yourself.
Wash, decontaminate, paint correct, coat, seal, and wax.
If you don't start out on the right foot, you will always be fighting yourself.

- Twice a week power wash and rinse at a coin operated car wash.
1. Do not use the brush, that will scratch up the surfaces it touches.
2. Don't use any of the wax or sealant options, just stick to soap and rinse.

- Carry a detail bag with basic supplies.
1. Auto Glass Cleaner.
2. Detail Spray.
3. Spray Wax.
4. Tire and Wheel Cleaner.
5. Tire Dressing.
6. Interior Cleaner.
7. Interior Dressing.
8. Pack of microfiber towels.

Your car care needs will go much smoother.
Your customers will be much happier.