PDA

View Full Version : Space Heater for waxing in Garage?

RandyD
01-07-2017, 02:47 PM
I have seen some people mention this and would like to get any recommendations as to what specific type (ceramic, infrared etc) or brand they would recommend. I am looking to keep it under $100 if possible. The garage is about 20' by 25'. I assume I will be moving the space heater near the part of the vehicle I am waxing so I I don't need to heat the entire garage. Not concerned about me being warm, only the wax/sealant bonding correctly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Crispy
01-07-2017, 06:32 PM
I use 2 small electric space heaters.

I get them from Canadian Tire and they cost about 30.00 each.

Leave them on overnight and then work away.

My garage is same size and I'm in Canada, so it gets cold (-12C right now).

I can usually get 18C (68F) overnight.

They do use alot of hydro so I only use when I'm going to do a wash or detail.

Jowillie
01-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. (Although I got a little nervous reading about space heaters from someone with the handle "Crispy."):)
Anyone use a quartz heater that is supposed to heat objects near it but not the ambient air?

jdubs
01-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Depends how cold, and how well the garage is insulated I suppose.

My 2.5 car garage is old and definitely not insulated. I just picked up a 80,000btu Kerosene torpedo heater. The other day it was about 30degrees out and it took about 15 minutes for the garage to feel comfortable to work in, however, it was a solid hour before the car warmed up. Cost on the unit I purchased was $200 from a local home building supplier.

I have to imagine a small space heater may work in the way you are requesting, but I have to imagine it's gonna take forever to heat each panel.

swanicyouth
01-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Wax and sealant doesn't bond to paint. If you can apply the product and remove the residue to your satisfaction - it doesn't matter what temperature your garage is.

spazzz
01-07-2017, 07:49 PM
The dual 500 watt halogen with base would be a good purchase. Heat and light, win,win.

That and a 1500 watt Lasko ceramic heater is what I use. This works alright but I have to use 2 different circuits.

Trip
01-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Check out Harbour Freight for any small heaters. I would avoid the plug space heaters, too much power consumption.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Small Honeywell 360 ceramic heaters are nice. You don't need super warm, try to get the paints actual temp to at least 50 degrees. So you'll want to wash and let sit for awhile before applying LSP.

spazzz
01-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Check out Harbour Freight for any small heaters. I would avoid the plug space heaters, too much power consumption.

Are you saying non vented propane?
I used a torpedo one year, never again.

Whitewater25
01-07-2017, 10:05 PM
The dual 500 watt halogen with base would be a good purchase. Heat and light, win,win.

That and a 1500 watt Lasko ceramic heater is what I use. This works alright but I have to use 2 different circuits.

Yup, the high watt halogens will give heat & work light. Best of both worlds.