PDA

View Full Version : Looks like "fish scales" on my passenger side door, used new Griot's clay towel a couple weeks ago...connection???

Klasse Act
01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I've been on here for almost 5 years but check this out. So I bought both of the new Griot's clay towels over the Christmas sale, the fine and medium grade ones, but tried out the fine grade right out of the box. Now I did the entire car, used pre-soak RW for lube and didn't notice any issues...till this weekend, a couple weeks later when I was drying off my car from exiting a touch-free wash. I saw what appeared to be "fish scales" in the paint but only on the passenger door. I'm thinking I didn't use enough lube on the p/s door but what is the "technical" term for this? I thought it was weird that it didn't happen to the rest of the car but I'm happy about that, LOL!

I plan on polishing this out using Black Light to start as I had very good luck using it to remove some mystery marks that appears on my rear bumper (not the same as the door) and BL knocked it out without a sweat (GG6 set to #4 and orange GG pad)

Thanks in advance :props:

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Are they Swedish fish scales? I'll reserve judgment until you post a picture.

The Guz
01-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Did you break it in on the glass prior to using it on paint?

WillSports3
01-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Those fish scales are basically an exact copy of the texture of your clay towels. It could be from the fact that you used a rw mixture to do it since technically claylube has to be more concentrated. It's not a big deal, I've gotten it on my cars if I don't use a slick enough mixture as lube. Those can be hand rubbed off very easily with a finishing polish.

kevincwelch
01-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Probably the towel, Roger. This happened to me last year when I slapped a nanoskin pad on my Rupes, lubed up my hood and went to town before breaking in the pad on my windows.

Gads...

Anyway, it got corrected when I hit the hood with SF3500...Or SF4000...Whatever it was back then.

Sent via my mobile device...

Klasse Act
01-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, I guess I didn't spray enough on that door. I think Echo is going to be what I use when I decide to RW and clay my paint together because that stuff is concentrated!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

FUNX650
01-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Did you break it in on the glass
prior to using it on paint?
Yes...This is a key step!

{Starting @ 1:12}:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9sct6gYLzxY

Bob

Mantilgh
01-04-2017, 11:52 AM
It sounds like light marring on orange peel.

Maybe it was a lube issue if the door was done in the middle of the process.

Mantilgh
01-04-2017, 12:03 PM
And then there's the theory/rule that you should plan on a light polishing step if you are claying.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Marring from the clay towel. Should polish out easily. Always break in the clay towels on glass first.

RaskyR1
01-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Marring from the clay towel. Should polish out easily. Always break in the clay towels on glass first.

^^^This

Marring on the high points of the paint from the towel. I've been using the Griot's towels for a while now as well as the original Nanoskin ones. I've found the Nanoskin Glide to be one of the best lubes for them and I never have any marring issues. The same cannot be said for other clay lubes I've tried with the prep towels.

Klasse Act
01-04-2017, 06:57 PM
From now on I'm going to first, break them in on glass but even before that I think I need to take one in the shower and rub on the tiles a couple times before first (is there such a thing, LOL!) Next I need to have a designated clay lube, i.e. WW made with a stronger dilution rate. I know this is "closing the barndoor after the horse runs out" but its going to happen. I mean, I never had this issue with my speedy prep towel or my Nanoskin and I honestly can't remember how I broke those in but I bet I did it properly on those.

I"m thankful for everyone's help in the matter and I'm sure some noob saw this and benefited, so atleast something good came out of it.

Klasse Act
01-07-2017, 08:27 PM
After I washed my car last night I used some DG #501 on the doors to remove the scales, by hand and it took care o it, no problem. It was pretty cool down there to apply a product to the car so after I applied and removed it I sprayed with pre-soak and dried it to even out the look.