PDA

View Full Version : Here's the boat for the 2017 Boat Detailing Class - 25' Bluewater Center Console

Pages : 1 [2]

BigMikeMD
01-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Hey Mike,
Are you going to be posting pictures from last year's boat detailing class? It looks like the 2017 pictures thread is closed, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Phillips
01-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Hey Mike,
Are you going to be posting pictures from last year's boat detailing class? It looks like the 2017 pictures thread is closed, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place...

Thanks,
Mike

I've been meaning to post the pictures since the day after the class.

I'd guess most people don't know how much work and how much time goes into created a picture thread. It's incredibly time consuming. And it's never because I don't want to do it - it's because I can carve out the time.

At the time of the class last year we were filming out TV show Competition Ready, so I was incredibly busy. Then came my 3- day car class, the Detail Fest, then another class and another class and so on and so on... plus all the new product reviews I write, I have a never ending job.

So just to let you know - of course I want to post them but it takes a LOT of time to simply go through the pictures let along do thing to them before uploading, like,

Look at EACH picture taken and pick out the best, pick out what's in focus and tells a story
Renaming each file
Cropping out the fluff
Resizing to 800 pixels wide
Uploading
Inserting
Adding words

I'll try to get to them ASAP because we use the pictures from our classes to market future classes and the next boat class is about 5 week away.

Just to note the next boat class is also almost sold out.

:)

BigMikeMD
01-03-2018, 08:58 AM
I've been meaning to post the pictures since the day after the class.

I'd guess most people don't know how much work and how much time goes into created a picture thread. It's incredibly time consuming. And it's never because I don't want to do it - it's because I can carve out the time.

At the time of the class last year we were filming out TV show Competition Ready, so I was incredibly busy. Then came my 3- day car class, the Detail Fest, then another class and another class and so on and so on... plus all the new product reviews I write, I have a never ending job.

So just to let you know - of course I want to post them but it takes a LOT of time to simply go through the pictures let along do thing to them before uploading, like,

Look at EACH picture taken and pick out the best, pick out what's in focus and tells a story
Renaming each file
Cropping out the fluff
Uploading
Inserting
Adding words

I'll try to get to them ASAP because we use the pictures from our classes to market future classes and the next boat class is about 5 week away.

Just to note the next boat class is also almost sold out.

:)If I haven't said it, Thanks! for all the work you and your team put into these posts. It's the reason I'm here & buying from AG.

I'll start a new thread soon but I bought a new boat & I'm learning about the different options for compounding, polishing, waxing/sealing. I am very interested to learn about the Captain's Boat Coating you were planning to use on the 2017 boat vs the Wax & Seal from the year before.

Again, thanks. U da man!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FrankS
01-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Last week I stopped in to visit Mike, I wanted to see first hand how he creates and inserts pictures into a post.

I've created post and inserted pictures in the forum before but it was taking me a long time and I wanted to see if there was an easier, more efficient way.

So Mike graciously invited me into his office and showed how he does it. He was working on an article that will soon post. I can't say anything about it but it will be very good and informative with a lot of good pictures.

I was using Photobucket before since it was easier and a little quicker inserting pictures than using the forum's method, but Photobucket made some changes last year and all of the pictures I posted in some of my posts are now gone, so I went back to the forum's method so that the pictures will be there down the road.

The process is very time consuming as Mike mentioned in his post above:

Renaming each file
Cropping out the fluff
Uploading
Inserting
Adding words

Also, Mike is a busy man! While we were working on his post, he was answering phone calls, emails and private messages.

I really like Mike's posts, they are very informative, detailed and very well worded and created and I got to witness first hand the work and time that goes into creating these posts.

Mike Phillips
01-03-2018, 12:35 PM
If I haven't said it, Thanks! for all the work you and your team put into these posts. It's the reason I'm here & buying from AG.

Thank you.

I always feel bad when I can't get all the pictures up from a project. It's my heart's desire, it's just a time thing...

I'll start a new thread soon but I bought a new boat & I'm learning about the different options for compounding, polishing, waxing/sealing. I am very interested to learn about the Captain's Boat Coating you were planning to use on the 2017 boat vs the Wax & Seal from the year before.

Again, thanks. U da man!

We did use the Captain's UV50 Boat Coating in that class and like a lot of coatings it applied easy. But the wipe-off was a tick on the sticky side.

I'm working on which coating we will be showcasing at the February 2018 class.

As for the rest of the process I show - all I can say is we create show car finishes on boats and I show you step-by-step how to do it in our annual class. I also cover this in my boat detailing book.

Here's the results from my Boat Test Spot

Before

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3299/BlueWater_039.JPG

After - This is machine sanded, rotary buffer compounded, Flex 3401 polished, RUPES BigFoot 21 Polished and Ceramic Coated

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3299/BlueWater_040.JPG

The trick is to work smarter instead of harder. I know that's a worn-out cliché but it's also true and that's "one" of the reasons I show machine sanding for the severely neglected boats we use in the class.

Mike Phillips
01-03-2018, 12:40 PM
Last week I stopped in to visit Mike, I wanted to see first hand how he creates and inserts pictures into a post.

Thanks for stopping by Frank and it was my pleasure to show you first hand how I work with pictures to create mega-picture threads. It is time-consuming but when done correctly, the thread tells a story, solves problems, educates the masses and most important... endures over time.

Because I use the AutogeekOnline gallery and resize my pictures before uploading, my pictures never disappear. I've written plenty of articles on how to do this but what I find with most people is they don't read. No one wants to read or do any "work" any more. Everyone wants everything to be easy. That's nice. :dunno:

I really like Mike's posts, they are very informative, detailed and very well worded and created and I got to witness first hand the work and time that goes into creating these posts.

Thanks for the compliment Frank. I appreciate it. Here's a good example of how pictures can tell a story...

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=79576

And after 4 years - the pictures are still intact.

BigMikeMD
01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
As for the rest of the process I show - all I can say is we create show car finishes on boats and I show you step-by-step how to do it in our annual class. I also cover this in my boat detailing book.]

I bought the book, should be arriving tomorrow. Your class sounds like exactly what I need to learn all the tools & products...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
01-03-2018, 05:26 PM
I bought the book, should be arriving tomorrow.

The most difficult book I ever wrote. Take your time to read through it - try not to scan it.

Your class sounds like exactly what I need to learn all the tools & products...

It's a GREAT class and it always sells out.

I'm happy to say, it's close to being sold out. I asked Andre to get me a head-count today, should have it by tomorrow.

It's also 98.9% out of your chair HANDS-ON!

Maybe someone that's on this forum that has taken this class will be my witness?

FrankS
01-03-2018, 06:28 PM
The most difficult book I ever wrote. Take your time to read through it - try not to scan it.

It's a GREAT class and it always sells out.

I'm happy to say, it's close to being sold out. I asked Andre to get me a head-count today, should have it by tomorrow.

It's also 98.9% out of your chair HANDS-ON!

Maybe someone that's on this forum that has taken this class will be my witness?

I've taken Mike's boat class and it's a great class.

Like all his classes, it's mostly hands on training.

You'll get experience in wet sanding, compounding with a rotary, polishing, etc.