PDA

View Full Version : I've got some products on the shelf and trying to decide which to use

Pages : [1] 2

boosteddub69
01-03-2017, 04:35 PM
So gang, like many of you I've accumulated some various LSPs with the idea that I'm going to try them on my car as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Like some of you I don't really get the chance to work on my car as often as I'd like to.

I've had home improvement and other hobbies (home theater and home improvement...new bathroom) that put the brakes on detailing for a while. I've got the up-coming weekend to work on my car all other obligations to be ignored. I'm trying to decide on the LSP to apply for my car, I have:

Duragloss Enviroshield Ceramic Coating System
Duragloss 105/601 Combo
Klasse High Gloss Sealant
Optimum Opti-Seal

I've used the Duragloss Enviroshield before and honestly was not blown away by it. It went on easy enough and lasted for a while, but didn't seem to hold up very well in my application. I've used 105 by itself but not with the 601 bonding agent.

It's been a long time since I've used Klasse but remember feeling pretty good about the look and results (I've learned so much on this forum since then, it would be practically a new product for me at this point)

I've not used Opti-Seal, from what I read it's easy on and easy off, but durability seems to be a mixed bag. I did try the very popular Opti-Coat 2.0 and it didn't wow me, but in retrospect there I might have been over my head at that time as well.

I'm happily asking for your opinions on the above mentioned products.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Ebg18t
01-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Klasse High Gloss Sealant is an oldie but goodie.

boosteddub69
01-03-2017, 04:48 PM
Klasse High Gloss Sealant is an oldie but goodie.

Thanks for the suggestion, how did it hold up for you? I see you're in FL, I'm in San Antonio TX and we sure do get baked by the sun here. My car is garaged at night but lives out in the sun during work hours.

AZpolisher15
01-03-2017, 04:54 PM
105/601 is a great product combo. In my experience, it has a look/longevity similar to Menz PL, but beading is less uniform (still not bad at all). It's not as glossy/glassy as DG 111, but apparently has better longevity. Easy on-easy off (it doesn't get much easier). Self-cleaning is pretty good too. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Oh, and the chemical cleaning ability is great. I applied it to a silver 4Runner about a month ago. What was seemingly a very clean panel turned my applicator black after one quarter panel.

boosteddub69
01-03-2017, 04:58 PM
105/601 is a great product combo. In my experience, it has a look/longevity similar to Menz PL, but beading is less uniform (still not bad at all). It's not as glossy/glassy as DG 111, but apparently has better longevity. Easy on-easy off (it doesn't get much easier). Self-cleaning is pretty good too. I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Oh, and the chemical cleaning ability is great. I applied it to a silver 4Runner about a month ago. What was seemingly a very clean panel turned my applicator black after one quarter panel.

Awesome, thanks for the input. 1 vote for the Klasse and one for Duragloss 105/601.

Ebg18t
01-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, how did it hold up for you? I see you're in FL, I'm in San Antonio TX and we sure do get baked by the sun here. My car is garaged at night but lives out in the sun during work hours.

I used it on our CO car, it holds up well after a couple coats. But I still prefer the newer coatings.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2017, 06:38 PM
You've compared Opti-Seal to Opti-Coat 2.0, but those are two completely different animals, one is a sealant and one is a coating (even if the application is similar). Opti-Seal is the easiest product out of those you have, because it's a WOWA (Wipe On, Walk Away). It really depends on what you are looking for, the Duragloss coating is going to give you the best longevity, it's also going to be the hardest to work with.

The Opti-Seal will be the easiest, the durability might be a bit less than the 105/601 but probably on par with a single application of KSG. Of course the Opti-Seal is real easy to reapply again later, plus you can use it on everything, every surface.

FUNX650
01-03-2017, 06:49 PM
If you were to decide to go with
Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze...
it would behoove you to first use
Klasse AIO as the base, IMO.

There's a reason these two products
are succinctly referred to as:
"The Klasse Twins"!

Bob

Jowillie
01-03-2017, 07:04 PM
So why not do a section with each product & combo and let us know what works best. (The DG 105/601 topped with 111/601 has lasted almost a year on one of my black SUVs.)

The Guz
01-03-2017, 07:16 PM
I just put opti-seal on my daily driver today. My first time using it as a stand alone sealant. Yvan Lacroix of optimum has mentioned that opti-seal can last up to 9 months if regularly washed/maintained with ONR. I'm paraphrasing but the polymers in ONR sort of rejuvenate opti-seal. Opti-seal can also be used as a drying aid so that is another possibility to keep adding protection. It is super easy to use.

I haven't used klasse in a very long time but I was maintaining it with sonus acrylic glanz which was great. It was a bit finicky to apply but that was minor. It did hold up very well.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I just put opti-seal on my daily driver today. My first time using it as a stand alone sealant. Yvan Lacroix of optimum has mentioned that opti-seal can last up to 9 months if regularly washed/maintained with ONR. I'm paraphrasing but the polymers in ONR sort of rejuvenate opti-seal.

You know, I think that is a bit of a red herring. People sometimes talk about the longevity of their sealant being fantastic, and then we find out they use D156 as a drying aid...so are they really seeing that longevity of their LSP, or are they just seeing a week's worth of beading out of D156 between washes?

What I'm saying is I'm not sure I buy the "Optimum Synergy" between Opti-Seal and ONR, how about it's just the ONR and it's going to "maintain" any LSP? I mean I've been using some Four Star conventional wash, and after I use it, my beading is great...if I used it every week, I might think my LSP is lasting indefinitely, when what I'm seeing is the beading from the wash.

AZpolisher15
01-03-2017, 08:00 PM
If I were choosing out of only the products you mention, and didn't plan to decontaminate or machine polish first... I'd go for the 105/601 and then refresh it with Opti-seal periodically over the next months. Reasoning- the 105 is a good cleaner. I wouldn't be applying the Enviroshield without appropriate prep work. Same goes for the Klasse.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2017, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't be applying the Enviroshield without appropriate prep work. Same goes for the Klasse.

Can you even buy the Enviroshield without the Squeaky Clean "primer"? You can't here, anyway. You can buy them separately direct from DG.

AZpolisher15
01-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Can you even buy the Enviroshield without the Squeaky Clean "primer"? You can't here, anyway. You can buy them separately direct from DG.

I was thinking more generally about the importance of claying and machine polishing to remove defects before applying any coating at all, DG or otherwise. Im sure the squeaky clean would clean it up enough for the sake of adhesion, but I wouldn't want to semi-permanently "seal" all the swirls on an un-prepped vehicle. Again, that's just me.

ntwillie1
01-03-2017, 09:22 PM
I vote for Opti-seal due to its ease of use. I recently coated one of my cars with Optigloss, and then used opti-seal on top of it while the coating cured. People will say it doesn't last long on top of a coating, and it's probably true, but every time i wash the car i use the opti-seal as a drying aid so it's like I keep reapplying it so I can't speak for its longevity. I also like that I can use it on all other surfaces as well such as glass, wood trim, plastic trim, metal trim, etc... Its very easy to apply and leaves a nice shine. Also, a little goes a long way. One spray per panel. I've hardly put a dent in my bottle yet.