PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable vs Ultimate Detailing Machine

Pages : [1] 2

White Thunder
11-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Is the Ultimate Detailing Machine as good as the Porter Cable

ScottB
11-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I have both and answer this question quite frequently, they are both extremely nice and either is a nice choice. I tend to lean to PC as pricing, 5yrs previous use, and comfortability dicate so. That said both, are much better than those large orbital buffers most get during the holiday season and very safe when directions are followed.

Tex Star Detail
11-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I'll give you my honest opinion on both.
I have used the PC for 2 years now, no problems at all. I was given the chance to use the UDM the other day at a local meet we had. To me, it vibrates too much for me to use it daily, as I detail for a living. I would think my arms would fall off after one vehicle. After doing a partial panel, my hands felt like they were still vibrating and sorta feeling numb. I will stick with my PC.

One thing that I did like about the UDM, was the power it had. I wish the vibration issue wasn't present, as I would have liked to purchase one. Now I am looking at a Metabo or a Flex to replace the PCC

Ruttrow
11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I had a UDM and like stated above, vibrated way too much for my liking. The pc I sold to buy the UDM did not vibrate even close to that of the udm.

Mike T
11-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm liking the UDM. More power in your hand. I think it has a less harsh vibration than the PC, and it wasn't quiet as loud as the PC except for when you have the speed cranked way up.

lcocanougher
11-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm not a pro but heres my 2cents, i used a pc once it vibrated awful, got my udm doesnt seem to vibrate half as bad, also is not as loud as pc. the udm only vibrates crazy if on speed 6, which i never use because speed 5 is perfect. If your interested mine is for sale as I am getting a Metabo to learn rotary!

budman3
11-14-2007, 09:38 PM
The UDM has more "tighter" and intense vibrations compared to the PC. I have gotten the same feeling that TexasTB is describing. My hands have gotten pretty tingly after using the UDM, on speed 6 btw.

As for not using speed 6 on the UDM ... what's the point? A PC on speed 6 and probably even 5 will be the same as the UDM. I have found the UDM and PC to be almost identical when it comes to speed until you get to speed 6 and that is where the UDM outperforms the PC. Meguiar's new polisher says that you shouldn't use speed 6, which is confusing to me because I don't see the point of buying a machine when you can't use it to its fullest potential (or it is liability thing?).

m4gician
11-15-2007, 01:27 AM
The UDM has more "tighter" and intense vibrations compared to the PC. I have gotten the same feeling that TexasTB is describing. My hands have gotten pretty tingly after using the UDM, on speed 6 btw.

That sums it up, but it' sa welcome change from the PC vibrations. The extra kick is a little better, but speed 6 and your hands will feel really weird...

THENIZZZEIL
11-15-2007, 03:26 AM
i have 2 pc's ...one of which was purchased in 2005 and have yet to have any problems...

as far as the UDM...have no clue

supercharged
11-15-2007, 03:55 AM
I tried UDM and liked it better. Vibrates less, removes defects faster.

Bert31
11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
If you guys are noticing more vibration with the UDM than the PC, you are probably using the wrong size pad. I don't recall which pads are not recommended but I use the 5 inch CCS pads by LC and vibration is minimal.

The UDM additional power is welcomed also so you can apply a little pressure and it won't bog down.

YoMike
11-15-2007, 11:24 AM
The UDM is the first time I've used a orbital machine. Long time ago I did work with a Rotary (yes I'm old). The UDM does what it is design to do. But I'm glad I only detail as a hobby. If I had to detail for a living there's no way I would use the UDM or PC other than maybe at slow speed for applying and removing sealants and waxes. For the weekend warrior the UDM and PC are fine and safe.

budman3
11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
If you guys are noticing more vibration with the UDM than the PC, you are probably using the wrong size pad. I don't recall which pads are not recommended but I use the 5 inch CCS pads by LC and vibration is minimal.

The UDM additional power is welcomed also so you can apply a little pressure and it won't bog down.

I've used 5.5" pads with a 5 inch backing plate (the one supplied), 6.5" and 7.5" pads with a 6" BP and still have the vibrations ... it isn't from the pads. I do agree that it is less likely to bog down, but I'm not sure if that impacts the performance of the machine ... looking solely at results from both machines ... it'd be nearly impossible to tell the difference between a PC and UDM.

klumzypinoy
11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Haven't tried the PC but have the UDM. Either is a great choice! The only problem is if you want to use Edge pads, go with the PC. I've had success using the UDM with 6 inch CCS pads but I am going to convert to 5.5 inch pads.

wytstang
11-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Using the UDM with 5.5'' CCS pads was worked very well for me, the vibs are slightly less then the PC. I like the fact that the UDM doesn't bog down so quick (I'm heavy handed).