PDA

View Full Version : The Mini Plate for the Flex

HateSwirls
01-03-2017, 06:53 AM
I just ordered the Mini Plate and installed it on my Flex to be able to use the 5 inch pads.
Gave it a go yesterday , will take a little time to adjust to it being its smaller.
My main reason is to have mostly 5-5.5 inch pads on hand being my go to machines are the Rupes and at times my Flex 3401.

Any of you guys have it?, if so how do you like the smaller plate?

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

lawrenceSA
01-03-2017, 07:02 AM
If its the same smaller plate that came in the Lake country interchangeable BP system, then its pretty much all I use on my 3401.

Its very seldom that a car has a flat enough panel to make use of the bigger 6" hybrids so most of the time I'm running the 5" pads on the smaller plate.

I much prefer the way the machine feels with it too.

Are you able to purchase the smaller plate on its own now, or do you still need to get it as part of the kit? Would like to grab a 'spare' if they are available as a standalone product.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2017, 07:04 AM
If its the same smaller plate that came in the Lake country interchangeable BP system, then its pretty much all I use on my 3401.

I think he's talking about this one made by Flex: FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate, FLEX (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.html)

Zubair
01-03-2017, 07:08 AM

Its very seldom that a car has a flat enough panel to make use of the bigger 6" hybrids so most of the time I'm running the 5" pads on the smaller plate.

Are you able to purchase the smaller plate on its own now, or do you still need to get it as part of the kit? Would like to grab a 'spare' if they are available as a standalone product.

They discontinued the kit which included the larger pointless 6" bp which had the cracking issue. Its been available as the 4" only from LC for a while now. I would suggest the 4 3/8 Flex bp to run regular 5.5" pads to compliment your LC 4" and oem 5.5".

DogRescuer
01-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Do they sell a plate for the Flex for my 3 inch pads?

lawrenceSA
01-03-2017, 07:11 AM
I think he's talking about this one made by Flex: FLEX XC3401 Mini 4 3/8 Backing Plate, FLEX (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-mini-backing-plate.html)

Ah got it - thanks.

Paul A.
01-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Do they sell a plate for the Flex for my 3 inch pads?

Not that I'm aware of Steve. Would love to see one myself but from a design viewpoint I would guess the direct drive gearing may limit that possibility.

Setec Astronomy
01-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Not that I'm aware of Steve. Would love to see one myself but from a design viewpoint I would guess the direct drive gearing may limit that possibility.

Some of us have been hoping that Flex will see fit to produce a mini-version of the 3401, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

To digress, the iBrid Nano is a fascinating machine, but it's not quite filling the niche that some of us see, which various machines like the GG 3", Rupes LHR 75E, ZenTool Mini, Flex PE-8, have also failed to fill.

HateSwirls
01-03-2017, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=lawrenceSA;1454026]If its the same smaller plate that came in the Lake country interchangeable BP system, then its pretty much all I use on my 3401.

Are you able to purchase the smaller plate on its own now, or do you still need to get it as part of the kit? Would like to grab a 'spare' if they are available as a standalone product.[

I was able to order just the one plate.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Velocitybts
01-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Some of us have been hoping that Flex will see fit to produce a mini-version of the 3401, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

To digress, the iBrid Nano is a fascinating machine, but it's not quite filling the niche that some of us see, which various machines like the GG 3", Rupes LHR 75E, ZenTool Mini, Flex PE-8, have also failed to fill.

I think a mini Flex might be too heavy and with the ability of using 5" pads and being able to TILT a Flex 3401, not too sure if one would be needed. I found that I didn't even use my NEW Rupes LHR 3" and ONLY broke it out just because it was new and I should use it. A piller to B Pillar areas on Aston Martin DB9. I could have easily just used the 3401.

Rupes iBrid----- Unfortunately I didn't know really like it. I just purchased a AM DB9 and planned for months to do a perfection polish on it. So I bought a 3" Rupes, ibrid, Scangrip light, and an extra few pad variations to add to those polishers and my 3401 and gg3". Knowing the car panels like different compound and pad combos I figured my Menz FG400 and SF4500 might not cut it. It sure didn't. Every panel was different. Back on topic----iBrid. I broke it out for detail polishing on the rocker panels, rear bumper, and front bumper and door sills. WOW--- I was immediately unimpressed. I can use a Rupes no issue to it wasn't technique. BUT...... I found immediately with the 12mm and full power it took almost zero pressure to get it to spin right. Forget a curve. I brought it down to the 3mm and although better still wasn't worth the effort of not tilting a 3" GG or Rupes. I did find using the 1" w/ rotary attatchment the iBrid worked out great. The kit is nice, and the product is nice, but for me (ONLY this one car was being done, and then the detailing products would sit for the next year) it wasn't worth keeping. I ebayed the iBrid hoping they come out with a more powerful version next year.

Ah got it - thanks.

I believe he was talking about the Lake Country 4" Flex 3401 backing plate; NOT the Flex 4/38 one. ONLY the LC 4" will handle the LC Hybrid 5" pads (which hands down are the best for the 3401; other than MF Megs cutting pads). The 4 3/8s plates will not work on a 5".

I know the LC kit was discontinued, but I think a member mentioned you could still get just the 4" plate. ONLY other choice is to get the 4 3/8s and Sand it down to 4". A forum member put a DIY on here for how to do that process. Worked nice for him

kkritsilas
01-23-2017, 09:38 PM
The newer LC Hybrid Force pads come in a 5.5" pad size (also has a center hole). They should fit fine on the Flex 4 3/8" pafs

Sent from my XT1563 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

spazzz
01-23-2017, 10:05 PM
They really need to do a run of 5 inch backing plates.
A lot of people would cross over pads from their other machines with 5 inch backing plates.
Pads add up to a chunk of change if you have to keep buying new pads to accommodate funky sized plates.

BudgetPlan1
01-24-2017, 01:56 AM
The newer LC Hybrid Force pads come in a 5.5" pad size (also has a center hole). They should fit fine on the Flex 4 3/8" pafs

Sent from my XT1563 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
They do. 5.5" pad has 5" velcro.

Apparently PBMG waiting until new 3401 version comes out to start offering the Force Hybrids so ya got to get 'em elsewhere.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

kkritsilas
01-24-2017, 02:41 PM
They really need to do a run of 5 inch backing plates.
A lot of people would cross over pads from their other machines with 5 inch backing plates.
Pads add up to a chunk of change if you have to keep buying new pads to accommodate funky sized plates.
It's the non-Force Hybrid pads that are the issue. Pretty much the entire industry has settled on a 5.5" pad size as one of the standards. Even LC's standard DA plate is bigger than 4.0". LC did the oddball thing, not Flex. Then LC comes out with a 4" plate for the 3401, and then later discontinues it. The replacement Hybrid Force pads come in 5.5" size. Pretty much an admission that the 5.0" pad size was a mistake.

spazzz
01-24-2017, 07:02 PM
It's the non-Force Hybrid pads that are the issue. Pretty much the entire industry has settled on a 5.5" pad size as one of the standards. Even LC's standard DA plate is bigger than 4.0". LC did the oddball thing, not Flex. Then LC comes out with a 4" plate for the 3401, and then later discontinues it. The replacement Hybrid Force pads come in 5.5" size. Pretty much an admission that the 5.0" pad size was a mistake.

Well no cares as I ripped my stock 5.5 plate to 5 for the Force pads.
Just thought a more evenly placed 5" backing plate would make sense for the 5.5 pad owners such as myself.

That 4 3/8 backing plate idea on 5.5" pad leaves my brain hurting for 5/8 pad contact(5/16" all the way round). That's a lot