PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Compound as window cleaner.?

Don M
01-02-2017, 04:38 PM
To be continued when I get home. Worth the wait.

james751993
01-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Hmmm never tried using UC as a glass cleaner... I have used zaino glass polish before with great success :)

fightnews
01-02-2017, 05:42 PM
To be continued when I get home. Worth the wait.

why didnt you just wait until you got home to make the thread? im in suspense now

james751993
01-02-2017, 07:18 PM
why didnt you just wait until you got home to make the thread? im in suspense now

Ill second that thought :D

Don M
01-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Sorry about the tease, I wasn't home, when I tested a theory and couldn't write it up then. Well, after reading Mike Phillips' article:

Remove the Glare Where You Stare (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/106566-remove-glare-where-you-stare.html)

He uses Griot's Garage Glass Polish, which I don't have, so I asked if Ultimate Polish would work. He said he thought it would, but was semi-concerned about the polishing oils in the UP, but said the alcohol in glass cleaners should remove them. Well, I thought that Ultimate Compound should have fewer oils, so I used it.

You'll need at least 2 mf cloths and 1 terry cloth towel (mf is optional), Ultimate Compound, Glass Cleaner (I used Invisible Glass) and water.

I used an old, thinning mf cloth, soaked it in water an wrung it out really well so it was only damp and applied a small amount of UC on the cloth and applied it to the inside windshield of my wife's Explorer (it has NASTY windows), wax-on wax-off style, straight lines, back & forth, up & down, etc.just to make sure I got all of the glass .... I used a water-dampened cloth to help 'cut' or 'remove the oils from the equation.' It seemed to have worked.

Since it was cold and muggy today, I had the defroster on to help the glass dry. Then I took the terry towel and buffed off all the UC & water off the glass. Then a light misting of Invisible Glass, followed by a good buff and I was done.

The glass was perfectly clear, no smears, nothing.

Now, I can't be COMPLETELY sure it worked as good as it seems so far, being that I haven't had anything to glare back at me on the glass (headlights, streetlights, sun glare etc), but I do believe this might be yet another option for glass cleaning.

ronkh57
01-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Sorry about the tease, I wasn't home, when I tested a theory and couldn't write it up then. Well, after reading Mike Phillips' article:

Remove the Glare Where You Stare (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/106566-remove-glare-where-you-stare.html)

He uses Griot's Garage Glass Polish, which I don't have, so I asked if Ultimate Polish would work. He said he thought it would, but was semi-concerned about the polishing oils in the UP, but said the alcohol in glass cleaners should remove them. Well, I thought that Ultimate Compound should have fewer oils, so I used it.

You'll need at least 2 mf cloths and 1 terry cloth towel (mf is optional), Ultimate Compound, Glass Cleaner (I used Invisible Glass) and water.

I used an old, thinning mf cloth, soaked it in water an wrung it out really well so it was only damp and applied a small amount of UC on the cloth and applied it to the inside windshield of my wife's Explorer (it has NASTY windows), wax-on wax-off style, straight lines, back & forth, up & down, etc.just to make sure I got all of the glass .... I used a water-dampened cloth to help 'cut' or 'remove the oils from the equation.' It seemed to have worked.

Since it was cold and muggy today, I had the defroster on to help the glass dry. Then I took the terry towel and buffed off all the UC & water off the glass. Then a light misting of Invisible Glass, followed by a good buff and I was done.

The glass was perfectly clear, no smears, nothing.

Now, I can't be COMPLETELY sure it worked as good as it seems so far, being that I haven't had anything to glare back at me on the glass (headlights, streetlights, sun glare etc), but I do believe this might be yet another option for glass cleaning.

Well go drive it now. IT's dark out.....

Kamakaz1961
01-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Way cool! I usually use a Nanoskin Blue bar and clean the windows and then add Menzerna Powerlock sealant. So far works great. But curious to hear your results soon! Happy New Year!

Don M
01-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Well go drive it now. IT's dark out.....

I would, but it's close to my bed time :laughing:

Hopefully tomorrow will be decent, so after work I can do the windows on the Camaro, since I drive it to work early in the morning & get plenty of glare-producing opportunities.

03me
01-02-2017, 09:25 PM
I've used Ultimate Compound as a window cleaner for years and have seen no ill effects from it. The compound does a great job of removing stubborn water spots on the windows. Once I remove the compound with a microfiber towel, I finish off the process with a good window cleaner (I use Invisible Glass).

FUNX650
01-02-2017, 09:59 PM
the inside windshield of my wife's
Explorer (it has NASTY windows)

Meguiar's M04 will work wonders in
cleaning-up that type of auto-glass;
and will leave way less Trade Secret
oil(s) behind---than does UC---IMO.

Bob

Don M
01-03-2017, 12:15 AM
Meguiar's M04 will work wonders in
cleaning-up that type of auto-glass;
and will leave way less Trade Secret
oil(s) behind---than does UC---IMO.

Bob

That's what the water was for. I've found that when I polish paint with UC and mist water on the panel, the oils seem to go away and the UC gets lightly dusty. That's with a good amount of UC on the pad. So I thought that just a little UC on a damp cloth would just wipe clean, and it did.

james751993
01-03-2017, 12:57 AM
Thats great news! Ill have to try this on my uncles car.... its been sitting outside its whole life, rarely washed or taken care of with disgusting water spots all over the glass. Good on you for looking into this.

Jaretr1
01-03-2017, 08:41 AM
When polishing or compounding a car, Ive used whatever I was using on the paint on glass that had water spots and its usually always worked fine at polishing up the glass to. Glass is harder than paint so there shouldnt be any harm in it.

Don M
01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
When polishing or compounding a car, Ive used whatever I was using on the paint on glass that had water spots and its usually always worked fine at polishing up the glass to. Glass is harder than paint so there shouldnt be any harm in it.

I don't usually have issues with the exterior glass, it's the INTERIOR glass that gets all the oily film from the degassing plastics, dressings etc, and it's not like you can just take a wash mitt and a hose to them. All I know is that the abrasives (and possibly the polishing oils) cut through the gunk and left the glass perfectly clear.