PDA

View Full Version : Argument with family for detailing cars?

Pages : [1] 2

choijw2
01-01-2017, 10:13 AM
So do you guys also get in arguments with family members for doing auto detail?

My family sure loves to scream at me all the time for working with chemicals,
while they are chopping wood floors and trims in tight bathroom without mask.

I mean, I use mask for correction and coating,
but is it that serious, they need to bringing this up on new years? lol

Anyone else get into arguements like this?

LEDetailing
01-01-2017, 10:51 AM
They are just jealous of your clean car and perfect paint:)

No, I have never been confronted with an intervention from family members regarding the hazard of detailing. I think if you are wearing a mask and gloves the exposure to the chemicals will be very minimal.

I would counter-argue that the family members working with saws, drills, and countless other power tools are 100's of times more likely to get physically injured vs. your risk of harmful (acute or long term) chemical exposure.

Edited: do you use a ladder to detail any SUV or large vehicles? If so, detailing just got as dangerous as other ladder related jobs, hobbies, labor etc.
I remember reading that falls from ladders cause the most injuries of any work related injuries. I had an uncle die from a fall from a ladder. I hate extension ladders and don't like step ladders over 4 ft.

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Not exactly an argument but...

I kinda hate it when I show up to do a vehicle @6am. and the customer comes out for no reason at all just to ask me "aren't you cold"? "aren't you cold"? "aren't you cold"?

....I'm just thinking in my head... "listen lady, 1st of all, no I'm not cold, I'm wearing this beanie on my head. 2nd of all, I like the cold! 3rd of all, this time of day happens to be the best time to do this! Now go back inside if you think it's so freakin cold, so I can get to work" Lol.[emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone

LSNAutoDetailing
01-01-2017, 11:51 AM

I kinda hate it when I show up to do a vehicle @6am. and the customer comes out for no reason at all just to ask me "aren't you cold"? "aren't you cold"? "aren't you cold"?

....I'm just thinking in my head... "listen lady, 1st of all, no I'm not cold, I'm wearing this beanie on my head. 2nd of all, I like the cold! 3rd of all, this time of day happens to be the best time to do this! Now go back inside if you think it's so freakin cold, so I can get to work" Lol.[emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone

Cold in LA??? ;-)

Jae, I think if you approach you're family with the fact you are a professional, you take all the safety precautions and follow the manufactures instructions, adhere to OSHA and safety standards, they should be fine. If you're not (especially working with chemicals), then they have due course to worry.

One of the things I loved about going through the IDA Certification process was the emphasis and dedication to safety, OSHA, Safety Standards, Obtaining and maintaining MSDS Sheets on every chemical I store, and developing and maintaining a safety/accident remediation plan. They enforce thorough instructions of what a Detailer must do to adhere to industry, local and federal regulations. I think once you show that to your family they'll be satisfied.

This is another reason why the IDA is a great organization to belong to, and the certifications validate that one understand and (should) follow the safety standards. I learned a lot through the process, moreover learned about what I; 1.) wasn't aware of and 2.) Wasn't following. That has now changed.

Hope this helps :)

ducksfan
01-01-2017, 11:53 AM
Instead of focusing on their hypocrisy, I would take the truth from what they are saying. Chems are bad; protection is always good. Burn into your brain, 'If it's on you, it's in you.'

I have found the orange nitrile gloves sold here to be a far step above other nitrile gloves. I use hand lotion (It stays on my cart) before putting gloves on. It allows me to reuse them. Which causes me to use them more often (No more 'I don't want to waste a pair of gloves for just this tiny job').

UTdetailing
01-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Can't say they are necessarily arguments but I get "You're going to wash the paint off that car" or "Cars are meant to be used and dirty". I just chuckle and move on.

FUNX650
01-01-2017, 12:22 PM
•Most every family experiences a certain
amount of disharmony and discord...
-especially when discussing various and
highly debatable subject matters.

•What really matters, IMHO, is overcoming
any and all hurdles, in the most judicious
and expedient manner:
-a manner that assures the family unit
remains viable.

-I've found out that this time-worn saying:
"a family that prays together,
stays together"...
is one of the more helpful "manners"
in accomplishing that feat.

•Furthermore:
-I resolve to follow this practice,
with added urgency, not only
during this new year...yet even
until I reach the great beyond.

Bob

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Cold in LA??? ;-)

Hey 50 degrees qualifies as pretty cold to us out here. Lol. Even though I just came back from doing a waterless wash on a vehicle, so I'm warmed up and usually prefer this weather vs. unbearable heat.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170101/128a0741254c30988a9c9269ba30746a.png

The absolute coldest it's ever been, according to the outside temp. display inside my car is 37 degrees, and that's only happened twice, and 1 of those times was 20yrs. ago. [wow I can't believe starting today it's officially been 20yrs. since I was 18]

Sent from my iPhone

UTdetailing
01-01-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm petitioning AGO to disallow all of you "Warm Staters" to talk about the weather. :nomore: Nothing personal, its just jealousy! :laughing:

It's a balmy 28 degrees here today and that will likely be the norm for another month.

58LesPaul
01-01-2017, 01:55 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe she's hitting on you, trying to get you in the house? ;)

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Happy Birthday Eldorado!!!!

Wait hold up! My birthday's not until 16 more days... I was just going by the # of years! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Maybe she's hitting on you, trying to get you in the house? ;)

Omg hell no! She's like freakin 65![emoji13]lol. She looks like she was hot in her day, but I dunno if I'd do a gilf. Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone

UTdetailing
01-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Wait hold up! My birthday's not until 16 more days... I was just going by the # of years! Lol.

LOL Oops! I'll take it off.

Eldorado2k
01-01-2017, 02:06 PM
LOL Oops! I'll take it off.

It's cool, thanks for the thought![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone

TTQ B4U
01-01-2017, 02:11 PM
The only "discussions" had are ones where my mother in law likes to try and stir the pot about what I do with my time. I usually end it by stating that I'm the only one in the room averaging $50-60/hr in cash for a hobby/interest during my free time. Her, my wife, and sister in laws make $0 doing their "thing."