PDA

View Full Version : rupes mark 2 15???

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
12-31-2016, 08:05 AM
is the rupes mark 2 worth the extra 90 bucks over the original?

also if you know what is the benefit of a long throw and a forced rotation machine? meaning if i have both is there some things i want to use the forced rotation machine on that work better then a long throw? or does the long throw beat the forced rotation in any situation?

GSKR
12-31-2016, 08:19 AM
Forced rotation flex 3401 can't beat that machine.To much stalling with these new machines today.Get the flex and you will be happy and zero promblems and you can blast through anything.

fightnews
12-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Forced rotation flex 3401 can't beat that machine.To much stalling with these new machines today.Get the flex and you will be happy and zero promblems and you can blast through anything.

do you have a long throw?

dlc95
12-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Experiencing the 7424xp eat a 3401 convinced me I didn't need forced rotation. I don't have stalling issues with free spindle tools. However, I did spend a considerable amount of time getting my technique together. It was probably from using one of those cheap TW 6" orbitals from Walmart prior to getting really serious about this around 2008. It was either the rotary or the wax spreader...

Zubair
12-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Take advice from those that own both and not the opinions of those that just own one or the other and accept the garbage they read on the net.

Whitewater25
12-31-2016, 08:43 PM
I have The 3401 & a gen 1 Rupes 21. The flex is a beast as it has aptly been named,it will work you but it does a good job with no stalling. You work the Rupes & must learn the technique of it to reap the benefits. Of the 2,I think the Rupes is a smoother machine. Think Ferrari vs F350 super duty. However I can't comment on the Rupes MK 2 as I don't have one of those........Yet.

GSKR
12-31-2016, 09:33 PM
do you have a long throw?
I've used and worked with every machine on the market today,and the flex 3401 in my opinion is awesome.

DaveT435
12-31-2016, 09:48 PM
I owned both. I sold the 3401. It's a great machine, just takes a lot more physical effort to correct with it. I've got back problems and didn't need it. The Mark II is easy to operate, very little downward pressure. I can speak for the ES, but I've had no stalling issues with the Mark II. I also have a G21, some stall issues with that when using the 6.5" pads. Not bad though. With a 5-5.5" pads no problems.

DaveT435
12-31-2016, 09:52 PM
It's all personal preference. I do find it kind of humorous that most long throw users will tell you both are good machines, but the Flex owners always want to take #### at Rupes.

GSKR
12-31-2016, 10:05 PM
It's all personal preferences you are correct.Ive bought some machines and used them for 10 minutes and returned them that same day.I have a 3401 makita rotary and 2 gg6.most of my work I use gg6.for airplanes with extremely hard finishes 3401.

Fast Eddie
12-31-2016, 10:44 PM
It's all personal preference.
Very true and this is why people need to try machines to see if they like them. I have a 3401 and G21 and use both regularly, but the G21 for me is used more and a better user experience. Plus, I've practiced enough with it to get minimal if no stalling at all.

dlc95
12-31-2016, 11:20 PM
I owned both. I sold the 3401. It's a great machine, just takes a lot more physical effort to correct with it. I've got back problems and didn't need it. The Mark II is easy to operate, very little downward pressure. I can speak for the ES, but I've had no stalling issues with the Mark II. I also have a G21, some stall issues with that when using the 6.5" pads. Not bad though. With a 5-5.5" pads no problems.

That was my experience.

I really loved using that 3401, because I find it to be a very refined, smooth operating machine. It was a lot of money to keep being set aside for a significantly lesser investment in the PC.

It's so much to do with technique, and personal approach though. I treat my orbitals like little rotaries, using the pad, abrasive, and if needed - high edge speeds to burnish away swirls. That thing can get humming if you're not laying down on it. The 3401 isn't able to achieve that edge speed. However, if you like, or are used to using a lot of pressure, the 3401 is fantastic!

The last time I used it, it was on a 2010 black Ford Focus, and this thing was absolutely trashed.

I started with a blue b&s polishing pad, and Ultimate Polish. Nope, not enough. Switched to green pad and Ultimate Compound - success.

I also tried orange and yellow pads, which also failed to match the green. Then I tried them with the 3401. When I got to the green pad I had high hopes, but I had to go over the same section twice, where it was once with the PC. I used the 7424xp for the rest of the car, polished it, sealed it, got paid, went home. That was when I decided to sell it. It went to a good home here in MI. If he ever sells it, it will be coming back.

Lately I've just been using my Rupes system, and totally loving it. I used it a lot over the summer, but now I'm really falling for it. So much that I'm selling some of my PC tools, some of my Megs excess product, and pads to reinvest in my Rupes arsenal.

It took me quite a bit to get really comfortable with the system. Mostly playing with the amount of product to put on the pad. Every day that I use the system, the more comfortable I am with it.

Regardless of what anyone here says, it's been proven time and again that both the Bigfoot tools, and Flex tools are 100% capable of performing to a professional level, and delivering world class results.

You could end up with both a Bigfoot, and a 3401!

conman1395
01-01-2017, 12:02 AM
I've used long throw machines and the 3401. From my experience, the 3401 is great if you have garbage technique. My partner is the one who did the mommy cars and work trucks while I did all the polishing jobs. Ever since I left I he's bought a 3401 and has had way more success. Of course he's still running the thing in speed 6 for everything.....

I on the other hand am very conscious of keeping the pad flat. I rarely ever stall my free spindle DA's and I have the PC and GG6 personally plus Harbor Freight DA's at the shop. I also have the first generation Rupes 21 and just bought the G15. I correct and finish faster with the long throw DAs.

I'm not saying all people who use the 3401 have garbage technique. But I feel that long throw machines have a pretty large advantage in speed of correction when you're already keeping the pad completely flat without thinking about it. I honestly don't see much a difference in speed between a forced rotation 8mm amd free spindle 8mm DA. They're covering the same area and the pressure difference isn't that great. I'm sure there's a slight benefit to the pad not slowing down though, but not as much as a long stroke machine.

Sorry if the grammar is crap. I've had 3 margaritas and I'm on my phone.

Zubair
01-01-2017, 04:17 AM
The thing is when I got my 3401 I loved it, but months in and the novelty started wearing. Its nowhere near as smooth,quiet,comfortable or powerful as the Rupes. You gotta use slow arm speed and heavy pressure to get any correction out if it and most of my onsite customer complaints of noise have been on the 3401. By today's standards its outdated, lacks refinement and the goal posts set by the Rupes MKII has shifted too far.

Is the 3401 well built? Yes like a tank! Is it entertaining to use? Yes, and a big BUT, becomes tiring and heavy on the body soon. Are there superior modern day offerings? Most definitely.

The Rupes feels 2017, the 3401 feels 2007. If you more into caveman type paint grinding with no finesse with little to no technique, stick with the 3401. If detailing is art to you, Rupes all the way.

fightnews
01-01-2017, 04:30 AM
Very true and this is why people need to try machines to see if they like them. I have a 3401 and G21 and use both regularly, but the G21 for me is used more and a better user experience. Plus, I've practiced enough with it to get minimal if no stalling at all.

i agree but where can you try it? at four hundred bucks a machine i surely cant afford to buy them all to try