PDA

View Full Version : Should I give up?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Ford Fest
12-31-2016, 12:19 AM
Not sure where to go with this as frustration has hit. I was fortunate to be able to purchase a 2016 Yukon Denali back in May. I broke one of my own rules by picking black as a DD. I convinced myself that I could deal with it, but it is making me crazy.

As most on this forum, I have spent hundreds on premium wash mits, pads, MF, washes, WW, detail sprays, drying aids, coatings etc that are only used for this car. I have used the 2 bucket method for every wash, using one mit for the body above the door trim and another for below the trim. I followup with blow drying and using detail spray as a drying aid. I only use the front to back wash pattern to wash or to remove light dust. I truly thought I have taken every precaution, but as I was walking back to the car in the parking lot I saw swirls; a lot of swirls. If it's this bad with the washing methods, coating etc that I have used, how bad would it be if I used an automatic car wash?

Got any recommendations?

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsqmbn5gmx.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsqmbn5gmx.jpg.html)
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsjubtpvkx.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsjubtpvkx.jpg.html)

Eldorado2k
12-31-2016, 12:26 AM
Were they on when you bought the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone

Jay's 128i
12-31-2016, 12:32 AM
Try the Garry Dean Wash method

Ford Fest
12-31-2016, 12:42 AM
Were they on when you bought the vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone

Nothing noticable, but corrected just to be sure prior to coating. I've never used coating so I went with McKees. I think I applied it correctly.

Not sure what this is, sorry.

When washing I typically make a pass at the top of the panel working may way down. After making 3-4 passes, I flip the mit over and wash that same area again. Then I rinse the mit and start the process again. For example: 3-4 passes only covers the glass, rinse mit; then the door to the trim.

Eldorado2k
12-31-2016, 12:45 AM
Nothing noticable, but corrected just to be sure prior to coating. I've never used coating so I went with McKees. I think I applied it correctly.

Did you use the Mckee's Coating Prep Polish prior to the coating?

What did you polish it with to correct it prior to the coating?
Which soap do you currently use? And which detailing spray and waterless wash?

Sent from my iPhone

AZpolisher15
12-31-2016, 12:49 AM
Was it Mike P that said "black vehicles are a full time job"? I swear my dads black maxima gets more swirls every time the wind blows. Even with perfect technique and the best of products, it can be tough to keep a black vehicle [relatively] swirl free. Do you own a DA polisher? Maybe hit it with an AIO a couple times a year? If it's never been machine polished, that would be a good start. And then after that initial clean-up, maybe you'll be able to focus in on exactly which part(s) of your detailing regimen could use adjustment.

I find that I need to alter my longer-term expectations with black vehicles. It's just part of the deal. But they sure do look good after a polishing session.

Eldorado2k
12-31-2016, 12:51 AM
And why is your name Ford Fest, but you bought a Yukon Denali? Lol. J/k[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone

custmsprty
12-31-2016, 01:11 AM
Give up or trade it in for a white one LOL ...............

wing commander
12-31-2016, 01:29 AM
Polish just the hood until it is perfect then wash how you always do for the next few washes.After each of these washes check for any defects to determine if it is your wash method. If it is your wash method then study which part of your method creates the marks.In my case I was removing bugs to aggressively and using detail spray when I should have used waterless wash. I took a full year too realize that sometimes it is better to leave the paint dirty until I have the time to clean it with the method best suited for the level of contamination. Now I have gone 6 months defect free and have used two bucket with soap, two bucket rinsless,waterless,and zero detail spray. I have replaced my detail spray with a waterless spray and two towels one wet and one dry.Good luck finding a new system for your nice car it will be very satisfying when you do!

RippyD
12-31-2016, 01:52 AM
This works best on my black 4Runner. If you don't know what it is, go read up. Will take 5 mins, max. You'll need to get some good microfiber towels. A lot of them. I'd start with a dozen. That's not enough, but until you try it and than have to wash them you won't believe me that you need more.

My approach is to get as much dirt off it as I can before I wash it. Hose, pressure washer, brushless car wash - whatever you can use. Then use MF towels with Garry Dean method. I unless the car is very clean I do one pass down a vertical panel and then that section of towel is done. It's a little tedious and you'll wash a lot of MF towels. And you won't eliminate the scratches, you'll just minimize them.

I used to think 2 buckets (or 3) with mitts and grit guards HAD to be good enough. Not for black paint, esp soft black paint. Every little bit of dirt that's still trapped in that mitt looks like a mini-boulder to your black paint, and those particles are hiding there, like invisible sandpaper, just waiting to screw up your paint. Doesn't matter how much dirt you see in your rinse bucket. It's all the dirt you CAN'T see in your mitt that's causing the problem. (At least that's the conclusion I reached. I could be wrong.)

Trying to keep a black car looking good is an evolution. You have to find good-enough and be willing to live with it.

fightnews
12-31-2016, 05:28 AM
Not sure where to go with this as frustration has hit. I was fortunate to be able to purchase a 2016 Yukon Denali back in May. I broke one of my own rules by picking black as a DD. I convinced myself that I could deal with it, but it is making me crazy.

As most on this forum, I have spent hundreds on premium wash mits, pads, MF, washes, WW, detail sprays, drying aids, coatings etc that are only used for this car. I have used the 2 bucket method for every wash, using one mit for the body above the door trim and another for below the trim. I followup with blow drying and using detail spray as a drying aid. I only use the front to back wash pattern to wash or to remove light dust. I truly thought I have taken every precaution, but as I was walking back to the car in the parking lot I saw swirls; a lot of swirls. If it's this bad with the washing methods, coating etc that I have used, how bad would it be if I used an automatic car wash?

Got any recommendations?

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsqmbn5gmx.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsqmbn5gmx.jpg.html)
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/quail33/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsjubtpvkx.jpg (http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/quail33/media/Paint/image.jpg1_zpsjubtpvkx.jpg.html)

you gotta get a buffer and some compound or swirl remover. forget about the washing aspect thats fine. i feel for u bro mines black that denali is huge too, lots of surface area.

fightnews
12-31-2016, 05:43 AM

Not sure what this is, sorry.

When washing I typically make a pass at the top of the panel working may way down. After making 3-4 passes, I flip the mit over and wash that same area again. Then I rinse the mit and start the process again. For example: 3-4 passes only covers the glass, rinse mit; then the door to the trim.

maybe either u just didn't notice the swirls or maybe the swirls are in the coating? sometimes u can only notice swirls with the perfect lighting the sun to be at the exact right angle. how long ago did u coat it? are your microfiber towels any good or do u have old cheap ones?

fightnews
12-31-2016, 05:49 AM
This works best on my black 4Runner. If you don't know what it is, go read up. Will take 5 mins, max. You'll need to get some good microfiber towels. A lot of them. I'd start with a dozen. That's not enough, but until you try it and than have to wash them you won't believe me that you need more.

My approach is to get as much dirt off it as I can before I wash it. hose, pressure washer, brushless car wash - whatever you can use. Then use MF towels with Garry Dean method. I unless the car is very clean I do one pass down a vertical panel and then that section of towel is done. It's a little tedious and you'll wash a lot of MF towels. And you won't eliminate the scratches, you'll just minimize them.

I used to think 2 buckets (or 3) with mitts and grit guards HAD to be good enough. Not for black paint, esp soft black paint. Every little bit of dirt that's still trapped in that mitt looks like a mini-boulder to your black paint, and those particles are hiding there, like invisible sandpaper, just waiting to screw up your paint. Doesn't matter how much dirt you see in your rinse bucket. It's all the dirt you CAN'T see in your mitt that's causing the problem. (At least that's the conclusion I reached. I could be wrong.)

Trying to keep a black car looking good is an evolution. You have to find good-enough and be willing to live with it.
if you are going to do any of those things then you shouldn't need a rinseless wash? doesn't doing any of those three things defeat the purpose of a rinseless wash?

dlc95
12-31-2016, 05:50 AM
An automatic "soft cloth" car wash would beat it up much worse than that.

DogRescuer
12-31-2016, 06:09 AM
I'm sorry, was the truck off the showroom, you said 16 but was it previously owned. Also we have to learn at a point to say " you know what that's good enough ". But you have the bug where you will see swirls in your sleep. Enjoy that you're able to ride/own a beautiful truck. I've deswirled my car and been in a parking lot at night and poof swirls. And it's interesting because I use all the "correct " tools products etc when maintaining my ride and sometimes light swirls appear, even though I NEVER wipe anything ever in a circular motion, hmmm crazy. So you're not alone.
Steve