PDA

View Full Version : WG Uber Ceramic on my restored headlights ?

mankave1
12-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Guy's I need some help regarding the WG Uber Ceramic sealant - vs - a plastic clear coat.
To shorten what could be a long story.... IE my trials & tribulations with restoring headlights ..... I will try to be brief !

I just had my daughters Lex's headlights restored, no I didn't do it myself primarily because I haven't had " ego boosting " success with the process. To be totally honest ... Yes I have worked on 2-3 of my cars polycarb lenses over the years and they look OK - to - much better, when I'm finished but, I just don't have the experience to complete a superior job. ( As you can already tell .... I sometimes have issues comprehending the meaning of words like " brief and short and to the point " !

I only have the vehicle for a short period of time , a couple more days maximum and I need to protect these lexus headlights from the normally quickly deteriorating condition that will eventually occur. So before looking to AG forums for help I picked up a can of this Krylon Fusion. I have 2 choices ....
1) use WG Uber Ceramic to coat/protect
2) use the Krylon Fusion which I can assume has a plastic promoter in it since the tiny print on the back side doesn't mention a adhesion step prior application

Will the Uber Ceramic be the best choice to provide longevity or would the Krylon Fusion be better ?

THIS is where I need input/help.( Below )

To add more details, a polish or sealant of some kind was used by the detailer whom restored the lenses. I immediately brought the vehicle into the Man Kave for curing purposes.... since the detailer whom restored them, advised to NOT wash the car for a good 24 hrs ( like the other customers do ).

A) Can I apply Uber ( if that is the best option ? ) by simply using ISO alcohol to wipe down, then Perfekt paint prep, and then... the WG Uber Ceramic ???? OR should I follow some other application process ?

OR

B)Can I apply the Krylon Fusion with simply wiping down the lens with ISO , then masking & spraying ?

I have read several clear coat threads & watched a couple You Tubes... and it appears that if I wanted to clear coat the lenses it needed to be done when the wet sanding was complete and not polished to a high gloss.

I need to extend / protect this current light lens condition for as long as possible.... my daughter will soon " ride off into the sunset " ( back to med school ) and the vehicle will receive " NO LOVE " until I can get my hands on it again at least 4 months or longer... !

Can someone help with my plethora of questions. ( Sorry for such a complicated post and possibly off topic since I'm dragging a 2nd product into the WG forum )

Input appreciated .
AND Thank You !

mankave1
12-28-2016, 11:31 AM
Since I can't seem to delete this thread .... Don't apply this Krylon Fusion!!!!

davidc
12-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Since I can't seem to delete this thread .... Don't apply this Krylon Fusion!!!!

So you tried it ?. The ones I have seen use regular clear or 2k clear. The 2k is probably better with the hardener catalyst.

Dave

mankave1
12-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes ... Unfortunately. I had masked it off and sprayed it w/ 1 coat. Then started digging around on the web and went to the Krylon web page , started looking in the question & answer section... and stumbled across a question and then answer from a Krylon rep.... whom said... " we don't recommend any of our products for headlight lense's...."
I had to " hump it " the rest of the day ... removed it with brake cleaner ( only because it's super quick and sanded the rest away. Then had to re-stock my sand paper supply and start over with 500 ,600,800,1000,1200,1500,2000, and then 3000.
What a pain in the arse... I'm just getting to polishing now. I wasted all day dinking around re-sanding & wet sanding, and ...since I should have left it alone.... I really shot myself in the foot today. ( shat !!!! )

mankave1
12-30-2016, 05:15 AM

Original Restore done Prior brianiac Krylon Fusion debacle.(above )

Here is an update not that it provides any long term results regarding the longevity of WG Uber Ceramic however it's on there.
I have never worked harder on any light lense's ever....

Guyb
12-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Looks like you completed the project without anyone chiming in before too late, sorry I missed this earlier. So you learned not to use the Fusion. You have to worry about the propellant in the can as much as the chemicals. Lots of people coat headlights for longevity. Its too late now but you should have asked the person that restored the headlights what they used as the final sealant/coating. Some people use kits available that do not come with any type of sealant or just use compound to polish them. For legal reasons I only apply a final coating that is approved or safe for headlights. There are lots of forum post concerning headlights, sorry you had all of the extra work.