PDA

View Full Version : Rupees polishing pads

Brendon
12-27-2016, 04:50 PM
Happy New Year to you all.
Im looking at buying a Rupes polisher or two. I have a dumb question for all the experts that use this brand.
can the Rupes pads be washed and reused or do you throw away afterwards?
here In New Zealand we have to use Rupes pads and Polish for a one year warranty on the machine witch I think is load of rubbish.
Brendon

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Zubair
12-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Can be reused after washing. The thing with Rupes pads is use a few and change often as they not durable at all. The GG,LC,BnS last much much longer and are cheaper. Really hope 2017 Rupes changes their foams as its long overdue.

GSKR
12-27-2016, 07:48 PM
Im looking at buying a Rupes polisher or two. I have a dumb question for all the experts that use this brand.
here In New Zealand we have to use Rupes pads and Polish for a one year warranty on the machine witch I think is load of rubbish.
Brend
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Buy a flex 3401 much better machine in my own opinion.

Rsurfer
12-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Brendon

HAPPY NEW YEAR

How would they know that you didn't use their pads and polishes?

DaveT435
12-27-2016, 08:00 PM
How would they know that you didn't use their pads and polishes?

That's what I was wondering. I guess you would have to buy a few pads and a couple bottles of polish...then use whatever you want. If there's ever any question you bought some of their products so your covered.

The Guz
12-27-2016, 08:27 PM
They can be washed out and reused. If you have UHS pads the best way to wash them is under warm water.

rlmccarty2000
12-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Wash and reuse. I like their yellow and white pads. The blue and green, not so much. Go with the Rupes microfiber pads for cutting and finish with the yellow and white. And if that is truly Rupes policy there, complain loudly. I use many different manufacturers pads with my Rupes machines with no problems.

Matt@Revive
12-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Wash and reuse.
Rupes blue microfiber, yellow foam, white foam. These are my 3 go-to pads that i use nearly everyday.

Whitewater25
12-27-2016, 11:03 PM
The UHS pads are a bear to clean,if they didn't work so well,I would try something else

dlc95
12-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Like others mentioned here, I use the blue and yellow microfiber pads / yellow, and white foams for the most part.

I had some blue foam pads, and they were awesome! Somehow, I convinced myself to sell them, and now I have to replace them....

I say get a couple.

Be warned that you will find best results using the system like they advise. You might see the blue foam deteriorate as you learn to keep the pressure off. I know mine started to wear away after a few uses, but nothing catastrophic. I also had the backing on a couple yellow pads weaken. The foam was in great shape though.

I have decided that I will be rounding out the system and adding Quarz/Green pads, UHS system, and replenish the blue foam pads that I sold as the busy season approaches.

I'm going to try to exclusively use the Rupes system starting January 1, 2017.

DBAILEY
12-28-2016, 02:27 AM
Thought it was blasphemy to speak ill of Rupes around here.

Zubair
12-28-2016, 04:26 AM
Buy a flex 3401 much better machine in my own opinion.

Lol! Funny guy.

Mike Phillips
12-28-2016, 08:48 AM
When I hold any RUPES classes, we go through a ton of RUPES pads. Same for my boat detailing classes as we use the RUPES coarse blue foam pad to finish out gel-coat.

I wash all my RUPES pads and then re-use them unto death. Either the velcro backing will eventually delaminate or the foam will rip up. The coarse blue foam cutting pads are a very large open cell foam formula with from experience has a low tensile strength, (which is what also makes them sharp and fast cutting), and so it's only normal for the blue foam pads to wear out faster than the green, yellow and white.

I love the white RUPES pads for show car work.

I really like RUPES pads and we punish them very hard here at our classes and for our car detailing projects.

My recommendation is always the same, anyone thinking of getting into RUPES polishers really should go all in and get the RUPES system. That means RUPES polishers, pads and products. Become an EXPERT with the RUPES system and only after you've mastered their system start to experiment with other pads and products. This way, should something go wrong, that is you don't get stellar results using a RUPES polisher with some other brand of pad or product, you can RECOVER by going back to the system.

Make sense?

The COVER of a book is important. It's a large chunk of print real-estate for you to make your most important statement. If you look at the cover of my RUPES book, (the only book ever written on the RUPES polishers), the title was written by me VERY specifically.

It does NOT say

How to use RUPES polishers

It says,

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System

And as I make the case in the book, RUPES is not a tool, it's a system. Just ask any RUPES Rep and I'm confident they'll agree with the title of my book.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1313/RUPES_Book_Cover_021.jpg

Here's another article I wrote for RUPES fans and even the guys at RUPES...

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103119-air-test-using-non-rupes-pads-rupes-polishers.html)

I showed this test the the head engineer, Marco D'Inca when I was in Norway for the first RUPES Detailing Seminar, they thought it was pretty cool.

Mike and Yancy going to Norway! RUPES Norway Detailing Seminar - February 26th, 27th & 28th (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/97959-mike-yancy-going-norway-rupes-norway-detailing-seminar-february-26th-27th-28th.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H21UR0srFyo

:)

Mike Phillips
12-28-2016, 08:50 AM
More...

Here's another fun article and good read...

Mind Blowing - Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/75273-mind-blowing-rupes-blue-foam-cutting-pad-zephir-gloss-coarse-gel-compound.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2239/Rupes_Blue_Foam_Cutting_Pad_0041.jpg

I could do this all day....

:buffing:

Dandy98
04-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Great info. I was recently told by Rupes that I should only use their pads on my 5 " Rupes 15. I complained because my 5" 3M Buffing Pads were flying off when polishing with Marine31. Granted the pad was prey loaded with oxides and polish from the boat. Glad I had my very first buffer with me, the Griots 6 and 6" pads. At the end of the day just as a test I pulled the Griots Pad off and it felt very tight with the hook and loop system they have. Once the very used Griots pads were removed I put the 3M soaked pad on the Griots 6" buffer and it held just as tightly as the Griots pads. Interesting.
So now I'm wondering about Lake County Pads on the Rupes new back up pad that they are sending me. Prices are significantly less than Rupes but I am more concerned about performance and durability than price. Are there any similar issues with those of this forum.