PDA

View Full Version : Undercarriage Detailing

BSC
12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I hope everyone had a nice Christmas holiday. I know many here are expects on car detailing so I would like opinions on the car's undercarriage please. I recently acquired a late model Honda S2000. The car's interior and paint are immaculate. Unfortunately, the car likely was exposed to some briney condition for a short time since this car was from up north.

Hopefully I can ask the right questions here with my post as I will attempt to list my concerns. Please note that I do not intend to strip down major components on this vehicle.

The pictures should show that there are bolts, flanges, some mounts and brackets showing signs of probably surface corrosion. The original owner did use a undercoat application.

So here are my questions:

- Should I employ a wire wheel/brush on a power tool? I've seen this used on cleaning rust off wheel hubs. Should I use copper ones? Will this also scratch other areas that I don't intend to clean since I don't want to do too much disassembling of parts. Will these cleaned up areas simply corrode again? It now won't be exposed to brine since I live in Fl.

-covering the exposed metal that was once black with a reapplication of black rust seal? Spray or brush on? I know the original owner used a product called auto armor. I also don't want to create a two-tone appearance if the new coat has a different finish.

-Bathing metal parts. I have seen people soak corroded metal parts in a solution which removed the rust. I can do this with the smaller components like bolts etc that are easy to remove. Can someone recommend some products that do this? I'm assuming the rust should not come back to the same degree again because of the car's new location. I also wonder if this solution can be used by saturating a towel and letting it sit on the part that is corroded which is still attached to the vehicle? Parts like the brackets and Flanges which go around like the drive shaft may benefit with this approach?

-Oxidation on aluminum casing like the transmission. The white residual I am guessing is simply oxidation. Again I don't intent to removing these parts off the car. Is there a way to help reduce the appearing of the white residual? And is the treatment safe with wires and sensors that are attached?

Lastly, is this worth doing or am I simply wasting my time/effort? I would like as many opinions on this question as possible please. I don't mind a nice little project and I do have a lift. But again, will I likely not be able to finish the job based on my approach not to strip down the components off the vehicle?

cheers and happy holidays once again!