PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 21 dead after a year of heavy use.

Matt@Revive
12-25-2016, 06:13 PM
I've owned my Rupes 21 for about a year, one day it just turned off while mid panel. I took the handle off and inspected the electronics, everything looked fine. Cleaned the brushes and motor contacts. Put it all back together and it started working again. After 30-45 minutes it shut down again.

Took it apart again and started testing everything with a volt meter. I have power at the power cord, and at the switch. The voltage changes when the speed dial is moved, but the machine wont turn on. I swapped in a known good switch, still nothing.

At this point i think the electronic module has failed, but im trying to get some sort of tech support before spending $100 on a hunch.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Hey Matt, bummer dude. Get on Facebook and look up Dylan Von Kleist (sorry if I misspelled Dylan) or Jason Rose. Those are Rupes US reps. They should be able to give you some insight. Keep in mind....its the holidays too. Reply may be delayed.

rlmccarty2000
12-25-2016, 09:56 PM
It should last many for years of hard use. Contact Rupes. They will fix it.

The Guz
12-25-2016, 11:16 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/102074-have-problem-rupes-polisher-product.html

wing commander
12-25-2016, 11:47 PM
I had a part that needed replacement and called Rupes on the phone Monday and they sent it out the same day.

Whitewater25
12-26-2016, 12:08 AM
The warranty is a year isn't it,unless you are just over,maybe they would cover it anyway.

Matt@Revive
01-11-2017, 10:53 PM
After a few phone calls and messages my 21 is back up and running. One for the windings in the stator had failed and caused the matching to shutdown. I completely disassembled my 21(I dont recommend doing this unless you are confident in you wrenching skills), replaced the stator, did a deep clean and re assembled. I'm stoked to have my work horse back in business!

I have to thank Dylan and Scott (rupes tech support) for taking time out of their vacation to respond to my messages and return my phone calls. Customer service like that is the reason I keep coming back and buying more machines!!

dlc95
01-11-2017, 11:03 PM
That is great news!

Rupes is an awesome company. I'm very happy to use their tools!

k20trick
01-12-2017, 12:44 AM
just invested in my rupes kit hopefully mine goes strong glad to see it all worked out Rupes helped you out on this one. Good to know that they will support their customers when stuff like this happens.