PDA

View Full Version : Hoses, hoses and more hoses!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Shortspark
12-25-2016, 07:41 AM
One of our basic tools is water hoses. Those of us that take pains to insure our car looks good at all times can not get by without hoses. I know due to water rationing and people that live in complexes that forbid car washing have to use other methods such as rinseless and waterless wash but these are the exceptions. As much as we rely on hoses we don't often talk about them at the forum.

I have found the 50' Sears Craftsman black hose on a wheel cart to be the best hose for washing my car. It is heavy duty but not overly heavy in weight. It also resists kinking although it is not kink free (I have not found a hose truly "kink free" although I tried a couple advertised as such).

Newer technology in hoses is moving towards expandable hoses. These are much lighter in weight, easier to store and are naturally kink free. The draw backs I have read are that they often burst if water pressure is high, wear down quickly when used on concrete or black top drive ways and do not provide sufficient water pressure for use with power washing equipment. I don't know if any of these drawbacks are widespread or even true but that is what some folks have noted at review sites.

I am thinking of trying out this kind of hose for the first time and would like to know if anyone here has had experience with expandable hoses as their primary hose for washing cars. What have been your observations?

DogRescuer
12-25-2016, 07:50 AM
My mom loves them due to there light weight, my concern is durability.

chefwong
12-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Durability, if not the bigger factor, water pressure (aka, flow)

marknett
12-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Another issue with the expandable hose is when you spray with it , it starts shrinking back to smaller size . This causes it to pull against you.

Shortspark
12-25-2016, 08:09 AM
Another issue with the expandable hose is when you spray with it , it starts shrinking back to smaller size . This causes it to pull against you.

Yea, that makes sense. I never thought of that one. That might not bother you watering a plant but I can see it as a big problem with washing a car.

Mike lambert
12-25-2016, 08:54 AM
I bought the Griots hose, best I've had in 18 years!

Eldorado2k
12-25-2016, 08:57 AM

How much was it?

Sent from my iPhone

Eldorado2k
12-25-2016, 09:01 AM
I'm looking at the Griots catalog now... $80-$125 hose. Man.

Sent from my iPhone

Mike lambert
12-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Got it at the A site for I think 69?

GSKR
12-25-2016, 09:19 AM
One of our basic tools is water hoses. Those of us that take pains to insure our car looks good at all times can not get by without hoses. I know due to water rationing and people that live in complexes that forbid car washing have to use other methods such as rinseless and waterless wash but these are the exceptions. As much as we rely on hoses we don't often talk about them at the forum.

I have found the 50' Sears Craftsman black hose on a wheel cart to be the best hose for washing my car. It is heavy duty but not overly heavy in weight. It also resists kinking although it is not kink free (I have not found a hose truly "kink free" although I tried a couple advertised as such).

Newer technology in hoses is moving towards expandable hoses. These are much lighter in weight, easier to store and are naturally kink free. The draw backs I have read are that they often burst if water pressure is high, wear down quickly when used on concrete or black top drive ways and do not provide sufficient water pressure for use with power washing equipment. I don't know if any of these drawbacks are widespread or even true but that is what some folks have noted at review sites.

I am thinking of trying out this kind of hose for the first time and would like to know if anyone here has had experience with expandable hoses as their primary hose for washing cars. What have been your observations?

Bought one a year ago to water trees and rinse my pool area lasted one month the coupler was leaking.maybe they have improved it since then.

cyclops
12-25-2016, 09:31 AM

Any issue with the black coming off on your hands?

Ebg18t
12-25-2016, 09:38 AM
What's a hose? Lol.

ski2
12-25-2016, 09:48 AM
Used the Sears hoses for years, but they are heavy, the black comes off on your hands and they tend to get twisted if your not careful. My wife tried one of the better expandable hoses (with the brass fittings) out on the patio--lasted just one summer.

Picked up one of the 50' Zero G hoses at Lowes when they had them on sale for $30 and I love it for car washing--very light, doesn't get twisted and doesn't shrink as soon as you turn off the water--really easy to move around the car. After about 9 months it still looks good as new so seems to be sturdy enough--has a 5 year warranty. But, I still use the Sears hoses for work out in the yard where they get the most abuse.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zero-G-5-8-in-x-50-ft-Premium-Kink-Free-Garden-Hose/999972996

SRConcepts
12-25-2016, 10:05 AM
I like my Flexzilla hose a lot. It's light, bends easily without kinking, and has held up amazingly well despite my initial concerns about it not feeling 'heavy duty'. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

marknett
12-25-2016, 10:33 AM
Just bought a Camco 50' hose. So far it's good. A little stiff though