PDA

View Full Version : New car...need some help.

Bonesteel
12-24-2016, 11:37 PM
I just bought a '17 Camry XSE V6 in Midnight Black. I have a few questions...

About a year ago, I posted about my last car ('16 Subaru WRX - Crystal Black Silica). I used my PC7424, Meguiars Ultimate compound, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (which I love), finished with the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2. I had excellent results with that, and periodically topped it with BFCS.

After a year, would my PBLDPC still ok?

I'm looking for a simpler process. I'm out of WGFG, and before I order more I read somewhere about using CarPro Essence, and topping it with PBLDPC. Is that effective, and if so, which Essence...Plus or Extreme? What pads would you recommend?

Also, the dealer had installed vinyl pinstripes on the car. I had them remove the stripes, but of course it now has a ton of fine scratches/swirls where the stripes were. I'm planning on having them install PPF on the front end, but I'll need to either have them correct it, or do it myself.

I'm leaning toward the latter since I'll have to do the whole car anyway, but I'm assuming a product like Essence wouldn't be good if they'll be installing the PPF...? Should I just compound/polish (WGFG) the front bumper, fenders and hood and take it in for the PPF, then finish the rest of the car?

FUNX650
12-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Should I just compound/polish (WGFG)
the front bumper, fenders and hood and
take it in for the PPF,

then finish the rest of the car?
^^^ That's what I'd do. ^^^

•IMO:
-No need to put any type of LSP on the
panels before the PPF install...there will
be "installation fluids" used by the PPF
Tech to facilitate the install.

-Get the PPF done ASAP: before those
above listed areas' paint incurs any
damages. Then you can take whatever
time that's needed to correct the rest
of the vehicle's paint afterwards.

Bob

The Guz
12-25-2016, 03:34 AM
I just bought a '17 Camry XSE V6 in Midnight Black. I have a few questions...

About a year ago, I posted about my last car ('16 Subaru WRX - Crystal Black Silica). I used my PC7424, Meguiars Ultimate compound, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (which I love), finished with the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating v2. I had excellent results with that, and periodically topped it with BFCS.

After a year, would my PBLDPC still ok?

I'm looking for a simpler process. I'm out of WGFG, and before I order more I read somewhere about using CarPro Essence, and topping it with PBLDPC. Is that effective, and if so, which Essence...Plus or Extreme? What pads would you recommend?

Also, the dealer had installed vinyl pinstripes on the car. I had them remove the stripes, but of course it now has a ton of fine scratches/swirls where the stripes were. I'm planning on having them install PPF on the front end, but I'll need to either have them correct it, or do it myself.

I'm leaning toward the latter since I'll have to do the whole car anyway, but I'm assuming a product like Essence wouldn't be good if they'll be installing the PPF...? Should I just compound/polish (WGFG) the front bumper, fenders and hood and take it in for the PPF, then finish the rest of the car?

PBL is still good after a year.

If you are going to PPF the front end then just correct it and have it covered. You have the option to coat the PPF.

If you wish to try essence you need regular essence. Not the plus version. If not then you can stick with what you used on your previous car.

You also have the option to pick up Meguiar's ultimate polish locally if you need something fast. M205 is another option. Ultimate Polish has less cut than M205 and may finish out better on soft toyota paint.

fightnews
12-25-2016, 05:55 AM
whats ppf? why did u get two brand new cars back to back? u still got the subaru?

Bonesteel
12-25-2016, 08:34 AM
whats ppf? why did u get two brand new cars back to back? u still got the subaru?

Paint Protection Film.

I traded the Subaru for several reasons. The wife couldnt drive it, and I'm actually a Toyota tech so it was a headache when I needed to take her car in for service. I wanted to love the car, but the honeymoon wore off. No offense to Subaru owners, but the Camry is just nicer and the sale/rebate right now made it a better deal, too. While I loved the WRX on curvy back roads, the manual transmission wasn't fun for any other situations...traffic and picking up my daughter at school. I've also had left knee and foot problems this year so I needed to go back to automatic.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
12-25-2016, 08:54 AM
Valid reasons, don't blame you. It sounds like you've got the ideal car to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone

Bonesteel
12-27-2016, 12:03 AM
Well, I just ordered the Essence and I'm gonna try topping it with the PBL.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)