PDA

View Full Version : Well water

buddy01
12-22-2016, 07:13 PM
So I am buying my first house (if inspection goes well) and the house is provided with water via well. Usually I hear well is high in Iron and all not sure how true. But since I plan to be able to wash my truck in spring, is there anything special I have to do since it's well?

07rs
12-22-2016, 07:20 PM
I have well water and use a water softener and water filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Rsurfer
12-22-2016, 07:35 PM
I have well water and use a water softener and water filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Almost a must for washing clothes and your car. Wife would also enjoy a water softener for bathing.

Kevin845
12-22-2016, 07:36 PM
I / we have a well and it really depends on your situation. We happen to have very good water, no need for a softener and I change our whole house filter once every 2 years. So need to play it by ear. You can go to your town / cities board of health and get the water report, but there is no guarantee it hasn't changed since the well was drilled.

buddy01
12-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Yea I'm dumb, has a softener and all that jazz. Wasn't sure if anything else needed because I know you use salt but salt and metal is a no go, so not sure if anything else is better to use for that?

07rs
12-22-2016, 08:12 PM
I've been using a water softener for over 20 years and never had an issue with the salt causing any damage to the cars, and on the plus side I don't get any water spots from the hard well water.

Lt1xL82
12-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Bring a correctly collected sample of the water to a reputable lab and have it tested...both for "hardness" and if it is bacteriological safe.

A local lab can supply a container for the sample, simple instructions on how to collect the sample, and recommend what tests should be performed. THEN a decision on what treatment, if any, is needed.

The salt added to the water by a correctly functioning softener is very minimal.

My home well has a sediment filter, water softener, carbon filter, and UV purifier.

Bunky
12-23-2016, 06:30 AM
I moved into a new house with a new well. Any company wanting to sell a water softener will come test your water for hardness, Total dissolved solids, and presence of certain elements (iron, manganese, etc) so I had 4 tests. My water was clear, no odor, ph around 7.8, no iron wuth around 8 grains hardness. The county tests the well for bacteria and minerals and we also needed a UV light to be sure it was clean along with a water softener.

With the softener, soaps suds much easier and feels slicker.

Setec Astronomy
12-23-2016, 07:05 AM
Wasn't sure if anything else needed because I know you use salt but salt and metal is a no go, so not sure if anything else is better to use for that?

I've been using a water softener for over 20 years and never had an issue with the salt causing any damage to the cars, and on the plus side I don't get any water spots from the hard well water.

The salt added to the water by a correctly functioning softener is very minimal.

It's the chloride in salt (sodium chloride, or potassium choloride that's sometimes used in softeners) that causes corrosion. However it is the sodium (or potassium) ion that is exchanged for the hardness ions in water, so although the softened water has sodium in it, it doesn't have "salt".

Detailing by M
12-28-2016, 03:11 PM
oh god no! well water is only for your lawn. if your going to use it for anything else you'll need a filter and a UV light to kill bacteria if your going to drink it. For your cars get a DI Filter, very cheep to rent and you'll love it!