PDA

View Full Version : Gone from a Coating back to a Sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

UTdetailing
12-21-2016, 12:43 PM
I am considering putting a coating (Cquartz, Gtechniq or similar) on the wife's daily driver.

My question is how many of you have gone to a coating then back to a sealant/wax and why?

Additionally can you easily remove a coating if you do not like the results?

I generally hesitate at "Long Lasting", as it could mean if you don't like it you are stuck with it for quite a while.

chefwong
12-21-2016, 12:53 PM
I went to coatings 5-6 years ago I think . It started with one getting 22PLE and another get CQ.
Never looked back ever on subsequent cars. I've got a small college tuition stash of some pricey nuba...and I cannot even recall touching them in a verry verrrrry long time

Even on the garage queen, where I love me some glaze and nuba, I've gone coating.

FUNX650
12-21-2016, 01:45 PM
...can you easily remove a coating
if you do not like the results?

I generally hesitate at "Long Lasting",
as it could mean if you don't like it
you are stuck with it for quite a while.
•IMO...
-You don't ever have to be stuck
with any Coating (or other LSPs)
for either the short or long-term:

-Applying an abrasive product
(via polishing) is quite an effective
way to easily remove Coatings
(and other LSPs, as well).

Bob

chefwong
12-21-2016, 01:48 PM
well it depends if it's a exotic :poke::poke:

UTdetailing
12-21-2016, 01:53 PM
•IMO...
-You don't ever have to be stuck
with any Coating (or other LSPs)
for either the short or long-term:

-Applying an abrasive product
(via polishing) is quite an effective
way to easily remove Coatings
(and other LSPs, as well).

Bob

Thanks Bob! That is very helpful. I have never worked with these "new" coatings so wasn't sure how they cut down. I remember an "As Seen on TV" product from the 90's that was a "coating" and we had multiple customers come in trying to get it off after poor results and it was like polishing down chewed bubble gum.

FUNX650
12-21-2016, 02:18 PM
I remember an "As Seen on TV" product
from the 90's that was a "coating" and we
had multiple customers come in trying to
get it off after poor results and it was like
polishing down chewed bubble gum.
Remembering those makes chills
run up & down my spine!

Thankfully...
a few "Technological Advances"
have come down the pike since then.

Bob

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-21-2016, 04:01 PM
If you are one of those guys who thoroughly enjoy applying waxes/sealants/spray wax/quick detail sprays constantly, then a coating is not for you. If you have a car or that and just want to be able to wash the wife`s car and go, a coating is definitely a viable option.

Remember....proper prep and lighting is key to applying a coating. As someone who spent years enjoying applying waxes and sealant on a daily basis....I do not miss it. In fact, the only "wax" i have is Optimum Spray Wax to top HD Speed with.

UTdetailing
12-21-2016, 04:07 PM
If you are one of those guys who thoroughly enjoy applying waxes/sealants/spray wax/quick detail sprays constantly, then a coating is not for you. If you have a car or that and just want to be able to wash the wife`s car and go, a coating is definitely a viable option.

Remember....proper prep and lighting is key to applying a coating. As someone who spent years enjoying applying waxes and sealant on a daily basis....I do not miss it. In fact, the only "wax" i have is Optimum Spray Wax to top HD Speed with.

I do enjoy applying waxes and sealants :buffing: But the wife has been known to go rogue and find "soft touch" car washes.

Luckily I have an F350 to wax/seal every few months :)

By the way the work on your website is amazing and should be respected. Thanks for the input and tips!

ScottH
12-21-2016, 07:23 PM
"...wife has been known to go rogue and find "soft touch" car washes" That made me laugh!!! Good one!! My wife used to do the same, with good intentions as I sure is the same with your wife. Now she knows they are off limits :-)

ScottH

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-21-2016, 09:35 PM
I do enjoy applying waxes and sealants :buffing: But the wife has been known to go rogue and find "soft touch" car washes.

Luckily I have an F350 to wax/seal every few months :)

By the way the work on your website is amazing and should be respected. Thanks for the input and tips!

Humbled and greatly appreciated.

Have you tried Hydr02? If you are looking to do as least as possible, it fits the bill. Easily reapplied to all surfaces.

UTdetailing
12-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Have you tried Hydr02? If you are looking to do as least as possible, it fits the bill. Easily reapplied to all surfaces.

I have not tried the Hydro02. I will definitely look into it. I've always been a "Meg's guy" and just recently bought my first Wolfgang (WETS) and Carpro (PERL) products. I've been shorting myself. Both products are amazing.

Eldorado2k
12-21-2016, 11:25 PM
I have not tried the Hydro02. I will definitely look into it. I've always been a "Meg's guy" and just recently bought my first Wolfgang (WETS) and Carpro (PERL) products. I've been shorting myself. Both products are amazing.

What kind of tire shine/dressing were you previously using?

Sent from my iPhone

UTdetailing
12-21-2016, 11:33 PM
What kind of tire shine/dressing were you previously using?

Easier to say what Meg's tire dressing I haven't tried LOL.

NXT Tire Coating, Hot Shine, Natural Shine, Endurance Tire Gel, and probably the one I like the most Ultimate Black Tire Coating

Eldorado2k
12-22-2016, 12:40 AM
Easier to say what Meg's tire dressing I haven't tried LOL.

NXT Tire Coating, Hot Shine, Natural Shine, Endurance Tire Gel, and probably the one I like the most Ultimate Black Tire Coating

But you forgot the best tire dressing Meguiars makes... Hyper Dressing.[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone

UTdetailing
12-22-2016, 12:13 PM
But you forgot the best tire dressing Meguiars makes... Hyper Dressing.[emoji2]

Couldn't agree more :) Have you tried the Ultimate Black Tire Coating? You may be doing enough volume that it doesn't make sense, but it is still my go to for tires. I get a good 3-4 weeks out of it. First couple days it is a little shiny for my taste, but it wears beautifully.