PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to protect leather seats with a car seat installed?

natewood70
12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Hey Everyone!

So since I'm on baby watch for the next couple of weeks (expected due date of January 3rd... but who knows!) I installed a car seat base into my wife's car.

Following the directions in the owners manual and car seat manufactures guide, I utilized the latch system and tightened it down to the required specifications.

As I did that I could see the leather being pushed in and pinched near the corners of the seat on the seat back. That made me cringe like crazy!

So... to anyone that has put in a car seat, what have you done to help protect the integrity of your leather that is in direct contact with a car seat? I'm not talking about spills or anything, but more specifically the pressure that is put on the leather from a very focused point of contact. I was going to put down a towel or something else to be a buffer, but I'm not sure if the AGO community has any other advice.

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to read this!

chefwong
12-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Towel as a buffer . The issue is just isolated - localized weight of the frame on the seats.

Mantilgh
12-21-2016, 10:50 AM
We have a couple seat protectors that were designed for car seats. I'm not sure the brand of them, I assume they are made from one of the same manufacturers that make the seats. I could be wrong, but I hate fighting with car seats and am not motivated enough at the moment to go mess with them.

I would assume there would be some sold in the big box stores possibly in the section of the store the seats are sold in.

Grandma uses something similar to a folded moving blanket.

P.S. Try to clean up milk and formula spills as soon as possible.

Mantilgh
12-21-2016, 10:57 AM
I wish WhetherTech made moulded custom fit liners for seats. That would be sweet.

Search "car seat protector" for some options.

Mantilgh
12-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Another thing is that some, maybe most, have a foam type rubber on the bottom side that may possibly stick to the leather seats and almost bond to them. As a precaution, I would place a towel, pillow case, or something similar between the pad and the seat.

pilotpip
12-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Brica Car Seat Guardian Plus - Grey - Brica - Babies "R" Us (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17200846&cp=2254197&fg=Category&fg=Brand&fv=2254197&fv=Brand+Name+Secondary%2FBrica&ff=Taxonomy&ff=PAD&fd=Brica&parentPage=search)

These are awesome. They come in a variety of colors, and are durable. My kiddo is a kicker and has almost worn a hole in her car seat in the right side. Now, she taps her foot on the back when a song she likes comes on. It also seems to hold the seat bases a little better on a slippery surface like leather.

Congrats on the new arrival! Our second is due later in January.

lane5515
12-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Brica Car Seat Guardian Plus - Grey - Brica - Babies "R" Us (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17200846&cp=2254197&fg=Category&fg=Brand&fv=2254197&fv=Brand+Name+Secondary%2FBrica&ff=Taxonomy&ff=PAD&fd=Brica&parentPage=search)

These are awesome. They come in a variety of colors, and are durable. My kiddo is a kicker and has almost worn a hole in her car seat in the right side. Now, she taps her foot on the back when a song she likes comes on. It also seems to hold the seat bases a little better on a slippery surface like leather.

I agree - we have the Brica Car Seat Guardian Plus protectors in both our vehicles and they are great.

natewood70
12-21-2016, 11:47 AM
We have a couple seat protectors that were designed for car seats. I'm not sure the brand of them, I assume they are made from one of the same manufacturers that make the seats. I could be wrong, but I hate fighting with car seats and am not motivated enough at the moment to go mess with them.

I would assume there would be some sold in the big box stores possibly in the section of the store the seats are sold in.

Grandma uses something similar to a folded moving blanket.

P.S. Try to clean up milk and formula spills as soon as possible.

For sure - I've dealt with lingering milk spills and it is NOT pleasant to say the least.

Thanks for the suggestion and congrats to you as well! My little girl has a due date of January 3rd.

I agree - we have the Brica Car Seat Guardian Plus protectors in both our vehicles and they are great.

Awesome, thank you for the reassurance. They seem pretty reasonably priced, so I may just get them. My heart dropped when I saw the leather seat back start to pinch in!

Trip
12-21-2016, 11:59 AM
^ Above seat cover from Baby's R Us is what I have been using, along with towels under the pressure points of the seat base. And no eating in the car really helps. Congrats 2s a party now. I've got a 3 and 10 mth old.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Loser
12-21-2016, 02:02 PM
I just use towels under the base and old microfibers folded up for any pressure points going into the seat back.

natewood70
12-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I ended up buying the Brica product from Target on my lunch break today. $25 a piece is cheap insurance to help protect the leather from pressure points.

Ebg18t
12-21-2016, 05:47 PM

Same setup here. Our twins just turned 1 last week and these have kept the leather clean and impression free.