PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2

marknett
12-18-2016, 01:30 PM
What is the coldest temperature that you have applied Collinite 845 in? Feed back please It's 30 degrees right now and partly cloudy . Too Cold to apply?

Fireman_joe
12-18-2016, 02:12 PM
I would not put anything on with that temperature !

Crispy
12-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Collenite ŕebsite says 55F and should not be cold to the touch.

I'm glad you asked as I was going to apply some here in Ontario and middle of winter temperture's.

I can get my garage to about 60F with small electric heater.

Good thing is the humidty is low and things dry faster.

spazzz
12-18-2016, 02:19 PM
A little above freezing no doubt.

I had the theory of what sticks ,sticks. Easy to put on and take off of course.
Sure wasn't trying for a beauty coat by any measure.

marknett
12-18-2016, 02:27 PM
I have an old truck that is in bad need of some correction work. Thought I might work on it some today but the forecast is showing a high of 35.

FUNX650
12-18-2016, 02:27 PM
I suppose:
•It all depends on how hard you
are willing to work in keeping:

1.) Collinite #845 at a very thin viscosity:
[via it being heated and shaken]

2). the vehicle's panels at a lukewarm temp.:
[not feel cold (or hot, for that matter)]

IMO:
•Coldness (below 50F) defeats
Collinite #845's:
-"apply-as-thin-as-possible"
application/removal processes.

Bob

KirkH
12-18-2016, 02:48 PM
I just used 845 yesterday on a test panel from the junkyard! I set the bottle in a coffee can of warm water and it thinned just fine. No problems. Panel was cold. Temp 29. Polished with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and then Ultimate Polish, Black Light glaze, Jet Seal, Collinite 845 in a ShelterLogic auto shelter in my driveway. Looks great!

Next section I am going to do the same except use Pinnacle products to polish and see the difference.

MarkD51
12-18-2016, 04:45 PM
I was faced with such dilemmas when I lived in Chicago, and it'd be 15-20 degrees outside. But I had a 2-car brick garage, and a propane fired bullet heater.

I knew well not to run such a heater continuously due to noxious fumes- carbon monoxide poisoning, and exhausting oxygen, but could be run intermittedly for short periods, where it would warm the garage and vehicle, and would also help aid the waxes like Collinite set up better for removal.

If no garage to use, maybe you could find a relative or friend that does, who would let you use such on a rare occasion, just to do a wipe down, and a wax? Just be very careful if using portable heaters to aid you. They can be extremely dangerous as both a fire hazard, and as well the poisonous effects.

Such a possible arrangement could be a win-win situation, where over a weekend you can possibly do both of your vehicles?

TTQ B4U
12-18-2016, 05:12 PM
I personally wouldn't apply anything in cold temps. Find a heater and warm up the garage and car/surface first. Neighbors kid me for keeping my garage heated (seems like only a small handful of folks on my block heat their garage) but I think it's priceless and worth the extra cost 3-4 months per year. Some people do wood working out there I heat mine for my dealing work. Priceless.

marknett
12-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the replies . I'll just hold off for a while till it warms up some .

damaged442
12-19-2016, 02:15 PM
I have applied both 845 and 476 between 40-45 °F with no ill effects.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies . I'll just hold off for a while till it warms up some .

I honestly don't think you have to wait--I believe the product will work fine and there won't be any detriment to the results, but as noted it will be the user-friendliness that will suffer--the application and removal will be more difficult.

conman1395
12-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Bro, it's December. What are you doing waiting until now for?

Haha, anyway to answer your question, no. I wouldn't be trying to use it when it's this cold. It's too difficult to work with. I've tried it before.

I have used Blackfire Wet Diamond when it's this cold, but it's durability isn't that great.

mwoolfso
12-19-2016, 11:35 PM
Personally, I subscribe to this statement.... "Unless something else odd occurs, like the rate of solvent flash versus bonding differs enough that you just generate a wax cake on the surface, Id venture to guess that it WILL bond at most any temp, it is just that the time for it to do so will increase exponentially. Seems to me that 60-80F is the designed bond temperature for the setup of the wax/solvent. At 50, Id say it may take twice as long (say 1 hr vs 30 min), at 40, 2 hr, at 30, 4 hr, etc.". Which is stated in this thread.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2476511

All things are not equal though and in NY I would tend to apply when temps are rising moreso than falling. That's just me.

Here is Mike's perspective....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html

And another...

Lowest Temperature to Apply Wax? (http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/99678-lowest-temperature-apply-wax.html)

DogRescuer
12-20-2016, 05:10 AM
I have an old truck that is in bad need of some correction work. Thought I might work on it some today but the forecast is showing a high of 35.

I'm always consulting experienced guys, so my cut off is 40°. If polishing then that creates heat if you immediately apply wax after IPA than i would go lower not much though.
Steve