PDA

View Full Version : Washing car after machine polishing

cheekyage
12-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Hi all

I've noticed some members wash their car after they have completed their machine polishing, prior to adding a coating/wax/sealant.

My concern is inflicting marks on a freshly corrected surface.

Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ronkh57
12-18-2016, 09:40 AM
I wash

chefwong
12-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Stuff lands in all sorts of nooks and crannies. You got a better chance adding in some MM on polish removal than a post quick wash, IMO.

FUNX650
12-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Hi all

I've noticed some members wash their
car after they have completed their
machine polishing, prior to adding a coating/wax/sealant.

Should I be worried?

I'm glad I'm not one that washes
their cars after completing the last
polishing step.

If I were to use any "cleaning"
product after polishing...it would
be the Coatings' manufacturers'
recommended panel-wipe(s)...
before applying their Coatings.

•Then there's the below axiom,
of which I'm always mindful:
"The less the paint is touched..."

Bob

AutowerxDetailing
12-18-2016, 11:41 AM
If a lot of dust from the compounding stage settles in the panel gaps and crevices I'll pressure wash and rinse the vehicle before moving on to final polishing.

goldenlight
12-18-2016, 11:57 AM
why not get a good microfiber to wipe the dust down. Mist it with a clay lube or something.

KS_Detailing
12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi all

I've noticed some members wash their car after they have completed their machine polishing, prior to adding a coating/wax/sealant.

Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I normally wash after my cutting step before I start polishing. But since the car is clean except for dust, I'll usually foam, pressure wash and dry. After polishing I'll do an eraser/IPA wipe down before coating or sealing.

Don't be worried about touching the paint. You eventually have to and if you're concerned about instilling swirls while washing then there's no hope in maintenance. Why aren't you as concerned instilling swirls wiping off a coating or wax but only for washing? Be careful, use the right techniques and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

ronkh57
12-18-2016, 12:16 PM
. Mist it with a clay lube or something.

Counter productive. You'll leave something of the lube behind.

DetailTrail
12-18-2016, 01:34 PM
WOW another step I've been missin'

:autowash:

The Guz
12-18-2016, 01:40 PM
I will use compressed air to blow a lot of the compounding dust off. If I am using Optimum Gloss Coat I will use ONR followed by optimum paint prep due to product synergy. If I am using another coating I will use the Meguiar's D114 that I still have. I do the same if I am using a sealant as my LSP.

AutowerxDetailing
12-18-2016, 02:29 PM
I will use compressed air to blow a lot of the compounding dust off.

Sometimes this is all I do and works great if the vehicle was fully dried before any compound/polishing steps were started. Anything to avoid unnecessary steps is the way to go.

GSKR
12-18-2016, 03:17 PM
It varies to the severity off how many stages of polishing.what I do is wipe and clean every panel as I go,I try to avoid extra work by rinsing and drying.If a coating is going to be applied that car has to be dry completely in every seam and door jams.so normally no I don't rinse but sometimes I have had to rinse.clean as you go keep it simple.

TTQ B4U
12-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Hi all

Should I be worried?

To each their own but nothing you need to be worried about. IMO it's a wasted step and lends a chance to get more water dripping into your LSP. Not good if it's a coating. Just remove the dust, wipe down (if applicable) as not all polishes will require you to, then apply your LSP or coating.

Once all completed and done with the LSP, I usually make one last walk-by panel by panel, seam by seam and "detail" the vehicle insuring all the dust or areas of trim are cleaned and perfect. That's when I go and apply my trim and tire dressing.

AZpolisher15
12-18-2016, 06:51 PM
I find that a simple light dusting with a super plush mf does the trick, particularly if you're working with products of the same brand (ex. Megs UC, UP, ULW). Pressure required = ZERO. Now, this is on my own/my family daily drivers.