PDA

View Full Version : Wash and wax or just shampoo

ncgolfguy
12-13-2016, 06:17 PM
Hey guys I need some advice on whether it is better to use a wash and wax or just a good shampoo for daily washing.

VISITOR
12-13-2016, 06:22 PM
wash>spray wax

vanev
12-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Car shampoos are pretty benign as cleaners go.
They really do not do anything for removing heavy or stuck on dirt.
They mainly remove surface dust and loose debris.

So, if cleaning is your goal, focus on the decontamination phase for actual cleaning, and use whatever car shampoo you want to wash off the decontaminating agents.
As a general rule, if I am going to perform any paint correction, then the typical car shampoo is the way to go.
No paint correction to perform, wash&wax is a better choice.

ncgolfguy
12-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Good deal wash and wax it is then!

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Ive always been a "pure shampoo" kind of guy if I 2 bucket wash. What is your current LSP?

PA DETAILER
12-14-2016, 09:13 AM
A good wash & wax soap such as Mc kee's 37 power wash, is great for maintaining your LSP.

Desertnate
12-14-2016, 09:19 AM
I think it all depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I was always a shampoo only person because back in the "old days" I used a couple cheap nasty wash and wax's which left the paint cloudy, streaked and looking horrible. Then a couple years ago, that all changed.

My first introduction to quality wash and wax products was DP (now McKee's 37) Power Wash. Not only is it slick with great cleaning ability, but the little bit of wax in the product leaves the surface really glossy and slick. From there I tried out Blackfire's Wet Diamond Conditioning Shampoo. This product was close, but a little behind on good as McKee's in the slickness and cleaning ability, but again left a really good shine when done. On metallic paint, I actually preferred the look of the Blackfire.

In both cases, I never had any of the issues associated with the old wash and wax products. Both left the paint clean, feeling slick, and really glossy. Due to the embedded wax, the cars were very easy to dry since a flood rinse would sheet off most of the water. I found with these products I wouldn't need to break out a spray wax to aid in drying or boost the shine.

These products don't get a lot of discussion, but I think they have their place in the consumer market. I wouldn't count on them to be your LSP, but they are a great maintenance wash product.

Setec Astronomy
12-14-2016, 09:29 AM
I was always a shampoo only person because back in the "old days" I used a couple cheap nasty wash and wax's which left the paint cloudy, streaked and looking horrible. Then a couple years ago, that all changed.

In the old days those "wash & wax" products were really terrible and were marketed to people who were too lazy to wax their cars ("look, now I can wax my car while I'm washing it!"). As you noted that has changed with these enthusiast-class products that have "wax" ingredients to make drying easier and (I guess) maintain your LSP.

FUNX650
12-14-2016, 09:48 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_18773.JPG

Bob

Setec Astronomy
12-14-2016, 09:51 AM
At the risk of incurring Nike's wrath...how about...JUST DO IT!

At the end of the day washing the car frequently is going to be more important than whether you use "just a good shampoo" or a "wash & wax".

Can't we all just get along?