PDA

View Full Version : How to correct streaks on Range Rover silver-colored exterior plastic trim???

Pages : [1] 2

VooDooPistons
12-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Hey guys-

Hope this isn't too much of a noob question. I've spent a lot of time searching the forums but just can't find the answer.

I have a black 2008 full-sized Range Rover SC. I really enjoy the car but being black and large it's a chore to keep clean.

A big problem I have been having is with the silver plastic radiator grille and side grilles. There are streaks in the plastic from the PO that I cannot get to come out. Any ideas? I have posted pictures for reference.

Thanks!

-Robert

53958 53959

GSKR
12-12-2016, 09:37 PM
More than likely they are etched from caustic cleaners.They come new satin finish with no real protection properties.That would be my guess.

VooDooPistons
12-12-2016, 09:56 PM
That's what I had bene thinking but I hoped that one of the gurus had found a fix for this. I'll look in to either respraying these pieces or finding some decent ones secondhand.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Robert

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Setec Astronomy
12-12-2016, 10:19 PM
There are streaks in the plastic from the PO that I cannot get to come out. Any ideas?

Wait a minnit...this happened at the Post Office? I don't get it.

GSKR
12-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Previous owner I know your just messing around.

VooDooPistons
12-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Yeah. It was the most amazing thing. I went in to drop off a...

Not really. PO=Prior (or Previous) Owner.

-Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Setec Astronomy
12-12-2016, 10:37 PM
Previous owner I know your just messing around.

Yeah. It was the most amazing thing. I went in to drop off a...

Not really. PO=Prior (or Previous) Owner.

Thanks...I really need to get up to speed with this acronym thing.

Have you tried a light polish/cleaner? Like Klasse AIO or Optimum Poli-Seal? If you don't have one of those how about a cleaner wax or a fine polish?

Eldorado2k
12-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Is the 1st picture upside down? Or we looking at the bottom of the vehicle? This is really throwing me off... Are both pictures upside down? Or am I trippin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
12-13-2016, 07:29 AM
One pic is with the hood open pointing at the top of the grill,the next pic is a dead on pic focusing on the mesh grill.If they would of thrown a tinch of clear over those pieces promblem resolved.Dont understand car manufacturers sometimes.

GSKR
12-13-2016, 07:32 AM
That's what I had bene thinking but I hoped that one of the gurus had found a fix for this. I'll look in to either respraying these pieces or finding some decent ones secondhand.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Robert

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
I think at 300.00 you can have those pieces painted by a pro,maybe alittle more cause paint clear reducer hardener is not cheap paint them black.

VooDooPistons
12-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Thanks, GSKR. I looked at prices and I can actually buy them new for a little less than $300. Gonna have to study on it for a while.

-Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Setec Astronomy
12-13-2016, 09:13 PM
What have you tried to get those streaks off with?

GSKR
12-13-2016, 09:17 PM

It's Presoak damage the paint is etched and nothing will remove that.The merc cla grill is the same finished material.On cars with that unfinished molding etc avoid spraying apc on them.

mwoywod
12-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Man I really hope you haven't already spent the $300 to buy new trim pieces. That type of trim especially can be easily deep cleaned back to a uniform appearance by polishing it with some poli-seal, hyper polish, or GPS. I personal polish over all of my customers plastics if it's a new customer and a soft bristle brush/optimum power clean isn't removing the hard water stains or oxidation. Before you spend the money on replacements I would definitely try it!

VooDooPistons
12-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Nothing so far except for soap and water. I was gonna try a light compound but figured it would be wiser to consult the assembled horde first. Was really hoping that this was a well-understood and common problem with a solution as simple as doing "X". Looks like I'll need to experiment a little first.

I am convinced that it is due to runoff from some very aggressive cleaner as the streaks run in a downward motion and have the telltale shape of water runoff.

Another thing I noticed about this truck is the horrible condition of the Brembo calipers. Somebody must have really gotten on the wheels with an aggressive cleaner as the paint on the calipers is totally faded and chalky. It actually looks as though somebody applied a chemical stripper to them. At some point I'll have to pull them and do a proper respray but for now I just want to concentrate on getting a good protective coating on the paint before Old Man Winter sets in for good!

-R