PDA

View Full Version : Chrome plastic wheels

Komatsu
12-11-2016, 04:23 PM
What's the best way to clean my wheels and have them looking best. They are Aluminum with a chrome plastic cover. Normally I just use soap and wash them. Would claying them and using my poorboys wheel sealant on them make them shine better?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LEDetailing
12-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Definitely couldn't hurt. I clayed my wheels and rarely use wheel cleaner any more. Just dedicated bucket with various wheel brushes, wash mitt and good car soap.

The sealant also can't hurt. Probably will have to reapply the sealant more often than painted surface, but that shouldn't bother any of us here:)

I even got bored one day and polished my wheel (just one). It looks better at 2 feet and closer, but I said forget it. 94,000 mile Sienna 10yrs old, not worth the effort.

FUNX650
12-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Here's some very good advice
regarding "chromed plastic":

The plastic that is chrome clad (grills,
even some wheels - a plastic face that's
cladded and then glued to a steel rim)
is much softer than "real" chrome.

We suggest an occasional cleaner wax
and regular use of a spray wax.

You can't "polish" it because of its
softness. I'd be hesitant to use
anything too abrasive, or made for
"real chrome" plating.

Bob

briarpatch
12-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Been using Meguiars Cleaner Wax on mine for years...they come out great

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Bob has a great suggestion. I`ve used HD Speed on them with a black foam pad before to "polish" them. Then a good wax/sealant/ or strip and ceramic coat makes them easier to clean and stay shiny.