PDA

View Full Version : Will a steamer help me?

Coastalf350
12-10-2016, 11:27 PM
So I have an engine room coming up. It's not my first and will certainly not be my last. Owner had an accident and it's covered in oil... yes motor oil.

So here was my plan... like usual I'll soak everything in degreaser and use a bunch of terry cloths to clean up... I mean a bunch

And here is what I was thinking... introduce the power of steam to help cut through it also. Not only will I be using it for this but also interiors on boats as well as graphic removal.

By the way I was looking at the vapor chief 75. Trying to keep it under 800 but will dish out more if I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

vanev
12-11-2016, 08:35 AM
Steam is more useful for interiors, than exteriors.
However, depending on the dirt being removed, it can be quite useful.
For an engine detail, a steamer is nice to have, but not necessary.

You might find an air gun, or Tornador type tool, to prove more useful.
Just be extremely careful of electrical connections, exposed wiring, air intakes, etc....
Use caution and common sense when detailing an engine bay.

Coastalf350
12-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Wish I could upload a photo but it won't let me

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-11-2016, 08:45 PM

Just be extremely careful of electrical connections, exposed wiring, air intakes, etc....

Negative. Steam is an absolute amazing tool for exteriors as well. There are guys washing cars with steamers, though I don't agree with that. Anywho.

I use mine constantly, especially being a rinseless detailer. I steam around badging and grilles, steam clean calipers and suspension when doing wheels off detail, those cars with expensive brakes....the wheels are steam cleaned, adhesive removal, some sap removal, exhaust tips, engine details,etc.

OP,

Definitely degrease and try to remove as much as possible. Is this a modern car or something of a show piece? Modern car engine bays are designed to stand up to lots of water via rain or snow. Of course, use caution around electrical connections and cover what you feel should be protected. I would basically:

- Thoroughly douse in degreaser
- Agitate
- Let dwell
- Rinse
- Wipe down
- Blow dry (compressed air or master blaster or leaf blower)
- Steam of you feel the need
- Protect

Crispy
12-13-2016, 09:20 PM

Also think Tornador would be better.

Can mix degreaser in the spray and thus be more effectifve.

Also can use to rinse on the fly, and re-apply degreaser if needed.

One thing I would do is make sure have drop cloth on windsheild and fenders so don't spread the oil to other sections.

Coastalf350
12-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Most of the engine rooms I deal with are in Sport fishers from 31 to 60 feet long. I would love a tornador but have not purchased a gasoline powered compressor yet (maybe in a few weeks) I'm leaning towards a steamer, it would be helpful on interiors

Guyb
12-14-2016, 06:54 AM
I haven't tried the vapor chief brand but I do think steam would help you out. I won't even take my tornador out for mobile due to the compressor requirements. That saying I have the original not the black unit. There are as many steam haters as users it is just a matter of personal taste. I am always using a steamer. When you purchase a steamer play with it and use it on items around the house that are hard to damage till you get use to how to properly steam.

Coastalf350
12-14-2016, 08:01 AM
I haven't tried the vapor chief brand but I do think steam would help you out. I won't even take my tornador out for mobile due to the compressor requirements. That saying I have the original not the black unit. There are as many steam haters as users it is just a matter of personal taste. I am always using a steamer. When you purchase a steamer play with it and use it on items around the house that are hard to damage till you get use to how to properly steam.

What is your steamer of choice?