PDA

View Full Version : New, Not Used Microfiber Cloths Lost Softness After Wash

LICUMMINS
12-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Hello all! I made a big order on detailing supplies and my new microfibers arrived in the mail yesturday! I washed them before putting them to use since that's whats recommended. I followed instructions washing them on hot water, normal spin and heavy wash. I used Micro-restore and threw them in the dryer after. My dryer has damp, low, medium and high heat. I chose low. Come to find out they aren't as soft as they were fresh out the package... Is this normal? I feel like they can be alot softer. Some felt a little softer than others. (Ex: Gold Plush Jrs) Could throwing some cheapy, new wallmart ones with my high quality clothes like Autogeeks and Pakshacks effect their softness?

Thanks!
-John

Eldorado2k
12-09-2016, 11:20 AM
I've never experienced towels losing softness just like that. The only thing I would've done differently was wash them on warm or even cold that 1st time.. Remember there's no dirt being washed off that 1st time through, you're basically resetting them for an absolute perfect start and getting any unseen dust and possible reside off of them.

Why cold water on the 1st time? Because some microfiber towels tend to bleed their color on their 1st wash, especially the Kirklands. I've had some white towels turn off white after running them in the same washload with Kirklands, no biggie but still.. I also go easy on the soap on the 1st wash for the same reason that there's no grit being washed off. Just a dash of soap and certainly no need for heavy cycle wash. But even with all that it shouldn't have made them lose softness.

I've never used Micro Restore so I can't say for sure how it leaves towels feeling.

Sent from my iPhone

UTdetailing
12-09-2016, 11:29 AM
The only time I've seen this with new towels is when the wife gets a hold of them and dry's on high.

DaveT435
12-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Since one of the ways I've read to clean them good and restore them is boiling water. This is what I have read a few times on here...never done it. Anyway, I don't think hot water would have any affect. As a matter of fact I wash mine in hot water all the time. The only thing I can think of is they picked up some kind of soap or maybe fabric softener residue. Soap would make more sense. I would run them through the wash again. Hot water, no detergent.

I always run a rinse and spin cycle with Pinnacle microfiber detergent through before I wash towels to make sure all the residue is cleaned off the drum.

Eldorado2k
12-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Don't overkill them with hot anything any further before you even get to use them... No boiling, no more washing, just use them now and they'll be fine.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone

pheerix
12-09-2016, 01:11 PM
How hard is your tap water? That might be the issue. Try a few ounces of vinegar in the fabric softener compartment and extra rinse. Don't machine dry for too long. I do a few minutes on ultra low then hang. I feel my towels last a lot longer this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharonsZamboni
12-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Maybe the low setting on your dryer isn't as low as you'd expect it to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmccarty2000
12-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Could have been some fabric softener residue in the washer or dryer. Wash and dry them again.

goldenlight
12-10-2016, 02:21 PM
I only had this happened with Cheep Microfibers I used for Door jambs

LICUMMINS
12-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I re-washed them in cold water this time and kept an eye on the drying process. Much better! Maybe because I chose cold instead of hot water?

DaveT435
12-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I re-washed them in cold water this time and kept an eye on the drying process. Much better! Maybe because I chose cold instead of hot water?

Glad it worked out. I still think it's more likely some sort of residue.