PDA

View Full Version : New iBrid owner frustrated....what am I doing wrong?

Pages : [1] 2 3

TTQ B4U
12-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Okay, so I was excited to get my short-neck today but quickly became disappointed. Put it together mounted the longer throw, larger yellow pad and attempted to do the B-pillars on my S4 with Some CarPro Essence but encountered two issues and would like some clarification:

Are the gel polishes that come with the unit the only ones that should be used? The reason I ask is it slings essence like it's water. W.T. Heck? I didn't overload the pad, spread it around and worked just as I do with my Flex 3401. That aside, I kept going.....

Perhaps I'm totally spoiled with my flex, but I can't for the life of me keep the unit rotating. Even a small amount of pressure slowed / bogged the unit. Another W.T.Heck! What's the trick here as I ended up just putting it away and pulling out the flex and was done in 1 minute.

I'm half tempted to go back out and try it again on the tops of my fenders but am afraid I'll get P.O'd and hate the darn thing.

Insight on using this unit appreciated.

DaveT435
12-08-2016, 09:25 PM
You really don't need pressure. Let the machine do the work. It sounds like you did use a little too much gel. What speed are you running it on?

DaveT435
12-08-2016, 09:29 PM
If your using the blue pad it's probably going to sling some. Try a little less gel. I use a pad conditioner and just a couple small dots of gel.

You probably are a little spoiled by the Flex, the pad has to be flat. You'll get the hang of it. It's an incredible little tool.

Just02896
12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Okay, so I was excited to get my short-neck today but quickly became disappointed. Put it together mounted the longer throw, larger yellow pad and attempted to do the B-pillars on my S4 with Some CarPro Essence but encountered two issues and would like some clarification:

Are the gel polishes that come with the unit the only ones that should be used? The reason I ask is it slings essence like it's water. W.T. Heck? I didn't overload the pad, spread it around and worked just as I do with my Flex 3401. That aside, I kept going.....

Perhaps I'm totally spoiled with my flex, but I can't for the life of me keep the unit rotating. Even a small amount of pressure slowed / bogged the unit. Another W.T.Heck! What's the trick here as I ended up just putting it away and pulling out the flex and was done in 1 minute.

I'm half tempted to go back out and try it again on the tops of my fenders but am afraid I'll get P.O'd and hate the darn thing.

Insight on using this unit appreciated.

Don't feel bad, I prefer forced rotation also. Lol. I own 2 Rupes machines and only ever use my mini when I have to. Most people claim technique is to blame and I'll be the first to admit the truth in that however most of the vehicles that I work on are very curvy and I always reach for a flex machine.

Audios S6
12-08-2016, 09:50 PM
You are spoiled with rotation, lol.

Note that I've only used a nano for one day. I've used a few different polishes, just need to be very frugal. I don't think I used anything as thin as essence, so that may be part of your problem. HD polish, d300, fg400 m205 were just fine. Tough with a b-pillar when you don't want to dry buff. I actually worked on b5 a4 b-pillars with no issues using hd polish and the yellow pad on the long throw setting.

It did stall occasionally, just needed to adjust my angle a bit. A little pressure is OK, but you really don't need much; just enough to engage the abrasives.

TTQ B4U
12-08-2016, 09:53 PM
You really don't need pressure. Let the machine do the work. It sounds like you did use a little too much gel. What speed are you running it on?

I wasn't using the products that came with the unit, I used Essence. I I ran it on Speed 4-5.

Don't feel bad, I prefer forced rotation also. Lol. I own 2 Rupes machines and only ever use my mini when I have to. Most people claim technique is to blame and I'll be the first to admit the truth in that however most of the vehicles that I work on are very curvy and I always reach for a flex machine.

I am going to give it another go on bumpers of the car, may go try it tonight even. However, like you I normally use my Flex but there are some areas it's just too big and the iBrid would be perfect. Hopefully it will work.

TTQ B4U
12-08-2016, 09:57 PM
You are spoiled with rotation, lol.

No doubt. I tried to use my old PC7424XP and I tossed it aside in less than two minutes. I'm probably going to just let it and my other one gather dust in the drawer.

Tough with a b-pillar when you don't want to dry buff. I actually worked on b5 a4 b-pillars with no issues using hd polish and the yellow pad on the long throw setting.
It did stall occasionally, just needed to adjust my angle a bit. A little pressure is OK, but you really don't need much; just enough to engage the abrasives.

I'll see what I can do. I don't mind using Meg's ultimate compound and polish so we'll see.

GSKR
12-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Just hold it down pretty firm when starting then ease up as you go along no sling.

lane5515
12-08-2016, 10:04 PM
I used my iBrid Nano for the first time last weekend. I first tried the smaller throw attachment and couldn't keep rotation. I switched to the larger 12mm throw and it worked just fine. I used orange CarPro pads with Jescar compound and CarPro Gloss Pads with Essence and didn't get any sling. I applied a couple small drops of polish and then gave each a finger swipe to level out on the pad before starting to polish.

GSKR
12-08-2016, 10:04 PM
It will sling no matter what you use.

DaveT435
12-08-2016, 10:17 PM
It will sling no matter what you use.

I didn't have any problem with the yellow pad and polish. The blue pad threw it everywhere. Part of that was my fault. I used too much compound. Everything I've read has indicated the blue pad will sling.

Crispy
12-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Use the rotary tool and the pads and polish that come with it.

The blue will sling even with 3 small "smudges" of blue compound.

The yellow pad and yellow polish much better.

In my use the DA tool is not very good on curves or edges.

The rotary though works well with the recommended 1" (wish it would work with the 2").

runrun411
12-08-2016, 10:34 PM
I've watched some of the YouTube videos as I'm sure all of you have. I see they spread the polish out very thin and don't seem to experience sling. I'm excited to get mine pretty soon and I'm gonna try every possible way to use it successfully. Whatever success I find I'll be sure to share it with you.

WillSports3
12-08-2016, 10:46 PM
The trick with the rupes pads it seems is to use less. With essence, just smear two tiny dots on, don't prime the rupes pads. If you prime then rupes pads it will sling.

Fireman_joe
12-08-2016, 11:03 PM
It took getting use to especially since I use the Flex 3401 also. I only use a very small amount of compound/polish and I turn on unit to level 1 and move it around the area I am working on. After it is spread around I bump up the speed and use very little pressure on the pad. I am not fond about the blue pads that came with it and find myself now using the Flex 1" and 2" pads that I have for my PE8.