PDA

View Full Version : anything I need to know about cleaning interior with steam cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

choijw2
12-07-2016, 10:06 AM
I just moved to new place and been busy with coating garage floor with epoxy and water proofing walls and etc etc
so as gift to myself, I bought a steam cleaner for $160.
its not the best steamer, but it does have variable pressure with max PSI at 58.

Is there anything that I need to watch when I clean interior with steam?

I am concerned if it can damage plastic or rubber interior or damage electronics.

Thanks.

GSKR
12-07-2016, 10:48 AM
I think you will be adding extra time messing with that.maybe good for stains in carpet,but hey everyone has there way of doing things.for me its getting the job done quickly and efficiently and effectively spray and wipe has been my method for years I find it quicker than tooling around with a steamer.

choijw2
12-07-2016, 10:52 AM
well I mainly got this for aged gunks between cup holders and deep cleaning carpets and leathers

I sure won't be using steam for dusting loll

Dan K
12-07-2016, 11:11 AM
well I mainly got this for aged gunks between cup holders and deep cleaning carpets and leathers

I sure won't be using steam for dusting loll

The steamer will work well for the cup holders and that gunk. Just watch out for the more delicate surfaces, steering wheels and such. Don't direct the steam in one spot for too long and don't use it on any leather or similar surface that is already compromised. Of course also watch out for electronics, switches, etc.

Use the triangle brush attachment with a microfiber towel over most surfaces.

Jeremy1976
12-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Keep it moving at all times and don't get too close to any material. Steamers are great! I love mine! Just use discretion and some common sense and your will be fine. And again, always keep it moving!

UTdetailing
12-07-2016, 02:25 PM
I think you will be adding extra time messing with that.maybe good for stains in carpet,but hey everyone has there way of doing things.for me its getting the job done quickly and efficiently and effectively spray and wipe has been my method for years I find it quicker than tooling around with a steamer.

I second this. I purchased a steamer and found that I spent more time with no noticeable benefit in results. I had to scrub/wipe/extract just as much with the steamer as I did my APC + Brushes and MF Towels. But as GSKR stated, everyone has their preference.

The only consideration I think about is the "long" or "repeated use" effects of 185+ degree steam on Vinyl/Plastic/Fabric/Leather and etc. Is it any less/more damaging than properly diluted professional APC's?

Crispy
12-07-2016, 09:20 PM
I have a small Mytee and it works fine on certain things.

Interiors the door sills and jambs especially.

Engine bay all areas (safer than dousing with pressure washer or hose).

In winter is effective on exterior parts:
Window seals
Body side mouldings
Emblems
Wheels
Bumper grilles

Sometimes I use APC first and steam off after letting dwell.

Only down side is takes awhile to get ready and pain to move around car in the cramped garage I have.

Just my own DD so not PRO use.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-07-2016, 09:28 PM
Steamers are amazing. I use mine constantly. Be very careful around electronic control buttons, especially window controls. And especially Ford ones.

SabbyNJ
12-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Be careful around the electronic displays. Also, wrap a cloth around it for
when you clean the non carpeted sections (dash,,door panels, steering wheel, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

wing commander
12-07-2016, 10:11 PM
I have a small Mytee and it works fine on certain things.

Interiors the door sills and jambs especially.

Engine bay all areas (safer than dousing with pressure washer or hose).

In winter is effective on exterior parts:
Window seals
Body side mouldings
Emblems
Wheels
Bumper grilles

Sometimes I use APC first and steam off after letting dwell.

Only down side is takes awhile to get ready and pain to move around car in the cramped garage I have.

Just my own DD so not PRO use.
Please tell us what is the model of your steamer?

GSKR
12-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Steamers are great for removing pinstripe and graphics,not so in my opinion doing interiors but they do work great for certain stains in upholstery.Definently a wow factor when someone sees you using it especially being mobile.

TTQ B4U
12-08-2016, 09:21 AM
I have used mine and love it. I have a McCulloch MC1385 and find that it cleans door panels and consoles perfectly without any chemicals. Use with care of course but otherwise it's great.

Carpet and seat wise, I really see it helping. After letting cleaning agents like Folex or now I'm starting to use McKee's dwell, the heat really helps to emulsify and break up the stains. From there I use an extractor and pure water with a touch of vinegar to help neutralize the surfaces PH. Lastly a couple good wipes with a white towel reveal how well it's worked.

Eldorado2k
12-08-2016, 09:42 AM
I have used mine and love it. I have a McCulloch MC1385 and find that it cleans door panels and consoles perfectly without any chemicals. Use with care of course but otherwise it's great.

Carpet and seat wise, I really see it helping. After letting cleaning agents like Folex or now I'm starting to use McKee's dwell, the heat really helps to emulsify and break up the stains. From there I use an extractor and pure water with a touch of vinegar to help neutralize the surfaces PH. Lastly a couple good wipes with a white towel reveal how well it's worked.

How exactly do you use the steamer on carpets and seats? Triangle attachment? Bare scrub or with a towel over it while scrubbing? If so what kind of towel?

Sent from my iPhone

TTQ B4U
12-08-2016, 09:44 AM
How exactly do you use the steamer on carpets and seats? Triangle attachment? Bare scrub or with a towel over it while scrubbing? If so what kind of towel?

I use the triangle tool mostly. I don't use a towel over it as one I make 3-4-5 passes over a 2x2 or so section, I hit it with a simple bissel extractor that I have. The one I use is similar to this one (https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-3624-SpotClean-Professional-Portable/dp/B008DBRFBK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1481208390&sr=8-5&keywords=bissell). Works great. Then once done, I have small 16x16 white Terry cloth towels that I buy in bulk packs of 24-48 each from the local store (rather inexpensive ones) that I use to do my final wiping. I really like these towels as they are not too thick, easy to use, cheap and if ever need back I can toss them out over time and simply replace them. They clean up really well though even after nasty interiors. I just soak them in a bucket with bleach and laundry soap overnight, rinse and then toss in the washer on high.

I am considering and almost bought an expensive Steam Extractor, but I didn't only because I'm not busting out multiple interiors in a day and I'm not sure time wise or effectiveness wise if I personally will see value in one.....yet. Not off my list but just not yet.

Eldorado2k
12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
I love terry towels too. I get em 16"x24"

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161208/92fec1ee5a94ba3d2b653cf98782baca.jpg

I use poly/cotton blend towels for carpets, and softer 100% cotton towels for cleaning leather.

Sent from my iPhone