PDA

View Full Version : Reason I won't use a coating again

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Jeremy1976
12-07-2016, 07:44 AM
So, I jumped on the coating wagon to give it a try. It was applied 4 weeks ago on my pearl white Lexus. We had one snow fall and cold temps here in Wisconsin in the last 2 weeks, and some road salt applied to the roads. After 4 weeks of having the coating on I already have iron deposits forming on the paint.

I specifically coated hoping to prevent these iron deposits. In spring the car will once again be peppered withem and a full detail will be needed including Iron X, clay, etc. Water beading and hydrophobic properties are great, along with the gloss to the paint, but really no different than a paint sealant like WGPS or Collinite 845.

I'm finding there is no "magic pill" that will prevent the iron deposits in Wisconsin. I think the combination of cold weather with the hot brake dust and iron coming off in winter really makes the deposits bond to the clear coat. I may look into a different type material of brake pads.

In closing I got the results that I expected. I figured the deposits would still occur. I was just surprised at how fast. The coating worked well at rinsing off the majority of road salt with a pressure washer and looked clean after. However, once doing a RW with WG you could clearly see the layer of grime that was still left on the car.

Opti
12-07-2016, 08:10 AM
For fun try applying a carnauba wax on half of the panel (where you get most of the iron deposits...Im thinking the trunk) and compare after a couple of months which side has less iron spots.

nick dude
12-07-2016, 08:33 AM
I think it would help if you specified the type of coating, lots of people "coat" their rims to repel brake dust and that seems to work.

zmcgovern45
12-07-2016, 08:45 AM
The downfall of light colored paint is the ability to see contamination. The trade off is that it is very difficult to see surface defects. So pros and cons to that paint color.

It seems your expectations were beyond what any product can do... particles will land on your car, particles will stick to your car, particles will need to be removed from your car... regardless of what has been applied.

As someone who has done a lot of coating testing over the past 4-5 years, I can personally say that the amount of bonded contaminates on a coated vehicle over time is much less than an uncoated vehicle based on my personal results. I wouldn't write off a coating just because it didnt prevent stuff from sticking to your paint. Remember, coatings provide a thicker, stronger, more durable barrier from the elements. The protection properties alone should be benefit enough for you to consider using coatings now and in the future. A little spot claying or IX treatment to remove some fallout is no real bother in the long run... if you never want to see it, buy a darker colored vehicle :)

Nick McKees37
12-07-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm finding there is no "magic pill" that will prevent the iron deposits in Wisconsin. I think the combination of cold weather with the hot brake dust and iron coming off in winter really makes the deposits bond to the clear coat. I may look into a different type material of brake pads.

I agree 100%, but keep in mind that a coating is providing a sacrificial layer of protection (like a wax/sealant, but much harder and thicker) so the iron deposits / UV Rays / Etc do not cause harm to your clear coat. It may not be the "magic pill" that you're looking for, but the coating is providing much better protection than a wax or sealant would, especially for wheels.

natewood70
12-07-2016, 08:48 AM
When you say that the iron deposits are forming on the paint, do you mean that they penetrated the coating and therefore you have no more protection in that specific spot from it? If it went through to the paint, then yes that would seem like a waste. But at the end of the day if it's just stopping at the coating, it seems to be doing it's job. To me a coating is a longer lasting sacrificial layer than what a sealant or wax will provide IMO.

zmcgovern45
12-07-2016, 08:59 AM
When you say that the iron deposits are forming on the paint, do you mean that they penetrated the coating and therefore you have no more protection in that specific spot from it? If it went through to the paint, then yes that would seem like a waste. But at the end of the day if it's just stopping at the coating, it seems to be doing it's job.
There is really no (reasonable) way to know what is happening at this scale.

natewood70
12-07-2016, 09:01 AM
There is really no (reasonable) way to know what is happening at this scale.

Agreed that it wouldn't be an easy task to figure out exactly where the iron deposits were landing, but it could be done with the correct tool set in my mind if it was on hand.

zmcgovern45
12-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Agreed that it wouldn't be an easy task to figure out exactly where the iron deposits were landing, but it could be done with the correct tool set in my mind if it was on hand.

https://www.appliedimage.com/files/2ryTRd/How%20Small%20Is%20A%20Micron.jpg

A coating layer is ~1-2 micron thick........ unless you've got some pretty ridiculous equipment I don't see how anyone could determine where the paint ends, coating begins, and coating ends.... but perhaps that is a topic for another thread.

Mike@ShineStruck
12-07-2016, 09:13 AM
Out of curiousity, what coating g dod you use..just a consumer coatings through here?
Prosumer elsewhere?

Jeremy1976
12-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Agree with all of the above. I guess, as stated in my original post, I am surprised at how quickly they are developing. A coating should help reduce wash induced scratches and swirls so if I only get that out of it I will stick with it the more I think about this.

I regularly see customer vehicles where they have paid high dollars for dealership coatings guaranteed for 5 years plus. Only to see these iron deposits a year later.

I know there is no magic pill as I stated. Again, I just did not expect to see this this early. I will show some pictures below. Paint was immaculate prior to application, and properly decontaminated.

I figured with regular maintenance washes in winter, and then applying a coating boost, things would be different.

GSKR
12-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Me personally like it as a upsell for more $$$.If a customer wants me to promise them the world for promblem free great looking paint all the time,I avoid that situation don't need a complaint.coatings on wheels are great cause we all know wheels are a pita to clean.coating on a boat is the real deal as far as long term durability test.I have no promblem companies trying to up the improvement of better products.845 every 3 months should cover your promblem simply a great product without all the fuss and work.

zmcgovern45
12-07-2016, 09:22 AM
A coating should help reduce wash induced scratches and swirls so if I only get that out of it I will stick with it the more I think about this.

Believe it or not this really isn't a major benefit despite what many coatings will claim and what people tend to believe. Coatings will develop swirls and scratches in about the same fashion as an uncoated car if proper care is not used when cleaning them.

The major benefits are the chemical resistance, durability, thickness (relative to waxes and sealants), and ease of maintenance due to the ability to resist dirt and contamination better than traditional waxes and sealants.

I understand you were hoping that iron deposits would no longer be visible, but let's be realistic... you've got a white car (clean blank canvas) so any contrasting particle will be visible. Regardless of how tiny it may be. As I mentioned previously in this thread, there is no product on the market that will prevent "stuff" from landing and sticking to the surface of your vehicle (coated or not). This is the reason that CarPro, for instance, lists IronX as a necessary maintenance item for keeping your coated vehicle clean. Optimum has their version of iron remover, GTechniq has their version of iron remover, etc.

As you know... lower maintenance does not mean maintenance free. If the tiny specs bother you, white was a poor color choice for your OCD. Perhaps a more vibrant color or a darker grey would better suit your needs in the future :)

Jeremy1976
12-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Believe it or not this really isn't a major benefit despite what many coatings will claim and what people tend to believe. Coatings will develop swirls and scratches in about the same fashion as an uncoated car if proper care is not used when cleaning them.

The major benefits are the chemical resistance, durability, thickness (relative to waxes and sealants), and ease of maintenance due to the ability to resist dirt and contamination better than traditional waxes and sealants.

I understand you were hoping that iron deposits would no longer be visible, but let's be realistic... you've got a white car (clean blank canvas) so any contrasting particle will be visible. Regardless of how tiny it may be. As I mentioned previously in this thread, there is no product on the market that will prevent "stuff" from landing and sticking to the surface of your vehicle (coated or not). This is the reason that CarPro, for instance, lists IronX as a necessary maintenance item for keeping your coated vehicle clean. Optimum has their version of iron remover, GTechniq has their version of iron remover, etc.

As you know... lower maintenance does not mean maintenance free. If the tiny specs bother you, white was a poor color choice for your OCD. Perhaps a more vibrant color or a darker grey would better suit your needs in the future :)

Totally agree. I'm not new to detailing. Just coatings. My expectations were not unrealistic. I didn't figure on them developing this soon. By spring time at this rate it will look like a red head with freckles.

My personal cars get full details including Iron X decontamination every spring and fall. I have been professionally detailing for 20 years now.

Jeremy1976
12-07-2016, 09:29 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/451f91ff79d998d9b2c39e2a7336a60e.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/1f29b68080e91dc43d8731fd3014dd16.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/a4473561e356de0b9805e6535dad22aa.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/f6f1a1237614ebc8f9617f5a46097bf7.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161207/25ebde3903247823df1d563f73725d72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk