PDA

View Full Version : PE-8 is fine but I should have bought an Ibrid

runrun411
12-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Hi fellow detailers,

A few months ago I bought a Flex PE-8 and put it to real use over the weekend on a black CR-V. I used 1", 2" and 3" pads on it. While it did help to level paint in some tight places where a regular DA couldn't get to, it wouldn't refine paint and leave buffer trails in some places. I clearly know that I need more practice and experience working with a rotary and this is proof of that. However I just know that if I had a Rupes Ibrid the work would have been done easier and faster. I started to buy one but I thought the PE-8 would do the exact same job for a few hundred bucks less. IME I was wrong. I don't regret buying the PE-8 but I think I'll treat myself to an Ibrid.

Setec Astronomy
12-06-2016, 07:15 AM
We'll be waiting for the comparison review!

DaveT435
12-06-2016, 07:19 AM
You won't regret the ibird purchase. I would recommend the shorter version, it's a little easier to use one handed.

runrun411
12-06-2016, 09:25 AM
You won't regret the ibird purchase. I would recommend the shorter version, it's a little easier to use one handed.

How is the torque? Does it stall at the lower speeds in DA mode? Are there ever times that you wish you bought the long neck?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-06-2016, 10:32 AM
The PE-8 is a great tool. You have to drastically step down your pad and polish combo however. For example, I mostly use the 1" & 2" black and green foam pads with Optimum Hyper Polish to cut and HD Polish to finish. It rarely goes above speed 2. Also, be aware of how much pressure you're applying and arm speed.

runrun411
12-06-2016, 11:04 AM
So, so true. I found myself using a very soft pad and barely touching the paint on speed 1.

Nick McKees37
12-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Hi fellow detailers,

A few months ago I bought a Flex PE-8 and put it to real use over the weekend on a black CR-V. I used 1", 2" and 3" pads on it. While it did help to level paint in some tight places where a regular DA couldn't get to, it wouldn't refine paint and leave buffer trails in some places. I clearly know that I need more practice and experience working with a rotary and this is proof of that. However I just know that if I had a Rupes Ibrid the work would have been done easier and faster. I started to buy one but I thought the PE-8 would do the exact same job for a few hundred bucks less. IME I was wrong. I don't regret buying the PE-8 but I think I'll treat myself to an Ibrid.

You will be VERY pleased with the iBrid. I mentioned this on Facebook the other day, and I'll reiterate here: I have yet to hear of one person that's had buyer's remorse after purchasing and using their ibrid.

That's not to say the FLEX PE8 doesn't serve a purpose! I love using my PE8 on cloudy headlights, exhaust polishing, etc. It's a sweet tool, at a great price to boot.

From my experience, the iBrid Short Neck is slightly easier to control. That's the one I would go with. :dblthumb2: