PDA

View Full Version : Is it easier to scratch/marr/swirl car with a DA vs by hand?

wonderbar
12-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Hi all,

My daily driver (Honda, outside all day), has just reached a 1 year old, and I am considering buying a DA for applying sealants and waxes.

Combine the facts that I am new to car detailing and that it is a daily driver, I have not gone too crazy in detailing my car. I do waterless/rinseless washes about once every 3 weeks, apply liquid wax about once every 3 months, and apply a sealant once every 6 months - all by hand. I *think* I have done a relatively good job - I cannot really see any swirls, marrs, or scratches on my cars metallic dark gray paint color in direct sunlight. The only thing I have not done yet is clay + polish my car yet - something I plan to do during the summer, after the winter/rain season.

But for now, I am considering getting a DA to speed up the process of sealing/waxing. For applying sealants and waxes on an unclayed car, would using a DA like the Porter Cable 742XP be easier to impose swirl marks/scratches/visible marring to the paint versus by hand? Since this is a daily driver, I have lenient on its exterior looks, but visible swirl marks in sunlight is something that I am trying to avoid. I believe I have been doing a decent job by hand using microfiber sponges/applicators, just don't want to risk damaging my car by going to a machine.

Thanks for the help!

VR8
12-04-2016, 03:11 PM
The machine will be your best Christmas present to yourself. Go for it! Watch the tutorial videos and you'll be fine. I personally think your at less risk of making rub marks with the polisher. Use moderate speeds and soft pads, no need to buy into the correction polishes and compounding pads yet. Spend a little while getting use to it, just applying your sealants/waxes, and you'll soon be hooked. Oh, and buy masking tape to make trim protection easier.

coles_paint_correction
12-04-2016, 03:35 PM
I started with the griots six inch polisher and it sure was a good first polisher, i still use it to this day.
I'd recommend it with boss griots pads line and boss creams, preety much will get most cars done with out really trying to much.

Detailsbydaniel
12-04-2016, 03:37 PM
I think the gg6 would be a great fit for you. I highly reccomend claying the car however. It will remove all surface contaminates for you. Mike has a good write up on the baggie test. Also you can use a iron x type product to remove any raildust or industrial fallout as well. I think wax and sealant with a machine is much more efficient and cost effective as it lays down a beautiful thin layer consistently.

pilotpip
12-04-2016, 03:56 PM
For what it's worth, I've applied AIO with my PC 3 times, and sealant once. I may never do it by hand again. Buy a PC or a GG6 (both good, I caught the PC on a great sale so I went with it) and several pads in a couple colors. I went with CCS so I have 6 orange, 6 white, 2 black and a couple red ones that came with the purchase of the DA. I can do my vehicles without stopping to clean a pad which is nice.

Take a day with nice weather and do this:

Wash the car
Spray down with Iron-X
Clay the car
Wipe down with IPA
Use white pad to apply a good (and easy to use) AIO like HD speed, or McKees 360. If the swirls aren't coming out as you would like, switch to the orange pad and if needed, make a few more passes.
Top with your favorite wax.

You'll be amazed at the results. I racked my brain for months, and it was much easier to do than I thought it would be. Take your time, do a test spot, and go to work.

Mantilgh
12-04-2016, 04:18 PM
I would be worried about applying a wax by machine on an unclayed car too, but only slightly. You may pick up something on your pad that your normal wash didn't get and work it around on your paint.

At a year old it should need clayed.

I would clay well and hit it with a AIO/cleaner wax or light polish and seal it. All you should need is like 2 passes to clear up any marring if you have any. You'll add some gloss and the polish or AIO will give your paint a little abrasive and chemical cleaning.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/72159-road-film-if-you-drive-your-car-rain-your-car-has-road-film.html

Basically what I'm saying is in a little more time than it would take you to apply a wax by machine, you could use a cleaner wax or AIO and get better results.

wonderbar
12-04-2016, 06:18 PM
I would be worried about applying a wax by machine on an unclayed car too, but only slightly. You may pick up something on your pad that your normal wash didn't get and work it around on your paint.

At a year old it should need clayed.

I would clay well and hit it with a AIO/cleaner wax or light polish and seal it. All you should need is like 2 passes to clear up any marring if you have any. You'll add some gloss and the polish or AIO will give your paint a little abrasive and chemical cleaning.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/72159-road-film-if-you-drive-your-car-rain-your-car-has-road-film.html

Basically what I'm saying is in a little more time than it would take you to apply a wax by machine, you could use a cleaner wax or AIO and get better results.

Yeah, I've already placed items in my cart to clay+AIO my car (Nanoskin Sponge + Blackfire Total Polish & Seal). I'm just holding out until the summer when I have more time and less chance of rain to do so. Until then, I will keep my process of wash and a layer of wax

AZpolisher15
12-04-2016, 06:32 PM
If all you are doing is spreading Wax/sealer, the 3" Griots may be a good fit for you. You could get the 6" down the road if you want to get into polishing and have a really nice set-up.

I got the 6" Griots first, and although I love it, there are times I think it'd be nice to have something smaller for wax/sealer application, which is 90% of what I do. That said, if you're using AIO's for light swirls right off the bat, the 6" is a better choice.

VISITOR
12-04-2016, 09:01 PM
here's a video of the junkman using the GG6 and BOSS creams for the first time as he primarily used the PCXP before this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJUPLCV3P0
btw... skip the PCXP and get a GG6, there's no comparison...

wonderbar
12-04-2016, 10:10 PM
If all you are doing is spreading Wax/sealer, the 3" Griots may be a good fit for you. You could get the 6" down the road if you want to get into polishing and have a really nice set-up. .

Why is it better to have something smaller for wax/seal application? The 3 inch version is more appealing to me since it is cheaper than the other options...but going by your post, I am assuming it is too weak for AIO/cleaner waxes?

AZpolisher15
12-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Why is it better to have something smaller for wax/seal application? The 3 inch version is more appealing to me since it is cheaper than the other options...but going by your post, I am assuming it is too weak for AIO/cleaner waxes?

It's not necessarily "better", but it's a smaller machine. And You're correct, It doesn't have the correction power of the GG6".

The advantage to smaller pads when waxing or sealing is that it'll fit into/onto tighter/smaller areas than larger pads. If using a larger machine/pads, you have to switch out pads to get into tighter areas, and this involves switching the backing plate, too (additionally, it's objectively heavier). But If you go with a 6" You can always go back and do tighter areas by hand.

None of this is to point out a negative in either machine. They're just different. The 6" is great. But as I said before- if all you're doing (and plan to do) is apply waxes/sealants, perhaps the 3" deserves a look. It's a give and take. I've read on the forum that the 3" with flat pads makes an awesome wax spreader. I'll be purchasing one soon to complement my 6".

VISITOR
12-04-2016, 10:37 PM

it's better to buy the GG6 and a 3" & 3.5", and 5" DA backing plates which will enable you to use 3.5"-5.5" pads to cover most all your basis around the vehicle. if you are doing everything by hand you are wasting your time and it will never produce the results the machine will. not only will the machine not get tired, but it will give you more uniformed results. buy a DA, trust me you'll wish you would of a long time ago...

btw, if you didn't already know... the GG DA's come with a lifetime warranty, pack lots of torque/power, and no nonsense top tier customer service. they have your back....
https://www.griotsgarage.com/text/content/about-us/images/header_different_3.png

LittleKing24
12-04-2016, 10:53 PM
it's better to buy the GG6 and a 3" & 3.5", and 5" DA backing plates which will enable you to use 3.5"-5.5" pads to cover most all your basis around the vehicle. if you are doing everything by hand you are wasting your time and it will never produce the results the machine will. not only will the machine not get tired, but it will give you more uniformed results. buy a DA, trust me you'll wish you would of a long time ago...

btw, if you didn't already know... the GG DA's come with a lifetime warranty, pack lots of torque/power, and no nonsense top tier customer service. they have your back....
https://www.griotsgarage.com/text/content/about-us/images/header_different_3.png

Not to mention Griots is also coming out with the 3" HD backing plate for the GG6 to make it more user friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Crispy
12-05-2016, 10:10 PM
DA polishers actually apply much less pressure than you can by hand.

So the benifit is with a DA you will work faster and safer.

The smaller the machine the less power (generally).

But the smaller the machine the more agile.

So if applying waxes and sealants a 3" would be the product to use.

It would also correct paint defects and polish but would take more time (still much faster than by hand).

My recommendation is the 3" in your case.