PDA

View Full Version : 3D AAT and HD line.....redundancies

mwoywod
12-04-2016, 02:10 AM
From what I gather, the AAT 501 compound and 502 polish are fresh paint safe and body shop safe which is why the AAT line is marketed towards body shops....and as we all know 3D discontinued Adapt to eliminate redundancies because Cut+ and Polish+ could achieve the same one-step results depending on pad and technique.

I genuinely want to know what makes the AAT 501 & 502 formulations uniquely different and part of 3D's end goal to constantly simplify their lineup and eliminate redundancies. The new 505 correction glaze sounds like a truly innovative product that is going to change the quality of work bodyshops can produce. But what do 501 and 502 offer that the more cost effective and easy to work with HD products don't? Alot of people have been asking David Fermani the past few days what the difference in the two lines are especially between AAT Finishing Polish and Polish+ but have yet to receive a response, which is why i'm starting a new thread that's primary focus is answer that exact question.

fightnews
12-04-2016, 03:42 AM
adapt is already discontinued? i just heard about it a few days ago. guess i gotta be quicker next time

GSKR
12-04-2016, 08:24 AM
To sum up your question you will just have to buy it and try it just like the other hundreds of products.Its a crap shoot buying products.you can investigate or read a lot of marketing hype,but means squat till you have it in your possession.over the past couple of months I've tossed so many products in the trash can.I have a small van and keep only what works in it.I wont store away products that don't cut it .I hate clutter and will never use them.Recently I gave my neighbor a whole box of stuff and he was happy.

custmsprty
12-04-2016, 08:52 AM
To sum up your question you will just have to buy it and try it just like the other hundreds of products.Its a crap shoot buying products.you can investigate or read a lot of marketing hype,but means squat till you have it in your possession.over the past couple of months I've tossed so many products in the trash can.I have a small van and keep only what works in it.I wont store away products that don't cut it .I hate clutter and will never use them.Recently I gave my neighbor a whole box of stuff and he was happy.

:iagree:

Let's see, last few months, I tossed Blacklight, M- Seal, Optimum Poli Seal (separated after 6 months), these are just a few that come to mind, oh wait a few bottles of Klasse too.

Shippng was too expenive to give them away, I offered a few times and each time the person backed out and didn't want to pay the postage.

David Fermani
12-04-2016, 11:29 PM
From what I gather, the AAT 501 compound and 502 polish are fresh paint safe and body shop safe which is why the AAT line is marketed towards body shops....and as we all know 3D discontinued Adapt to eliminate redundancies because Cut+ and Polish+ could achieve the same one-step results depending on pad and technique.

I genuinely want to know what makes the AAT 501 & 502 formulations uniquely different and part of 3D's end goal to constantly simplify their lineup and eliminate redundancies. The new 505 correction glaze sounds like a truly innovative product that is going to change the quality of work bodyshops can produce. But what do 501 and 502 offer that the more cost effective and easy to work with HD products don't? Alot of people have been asking David Fermani the past few days what the difference in the two lines are especially between AAT Finishing Polish and Polish+ but have yet to receive a response, which is why i'm starting a new thread that's primary focus is answer that exact question.

Just to reply to a couple points in your post......

*All the polishes and compounds in the 3D and HD line are fresh paint and body shop safe. AAT was designed for fresh finishes that are being sanded and to be used with a rotary buffer. HD is primarily for detailers working with DAs on factory type finishes, but are still very rotary friendly.

*AAT 501 & 502 work in harmony with each other to make a true 2 step system. Most importantly being 502 as it had to have enough kick to remove halograms that are being created by 501 and a wool pad. The pads also play a vital role to compliment this system as well. HD Cut & Polish can also do this too, but Cut won't cut nearly as quick/deep as 501 and may need an intermediate step on occasion prior to final finishing with Polish on certain fresh finishes.

AZpolisher15
12-05-2016, 01:50 AM
This answers my question in an alternate thread-- thanks for clearing that up, David.

Sounds to me ~somewhat~ similar to a comparison of M105/205 vs UC/UP.

mwoywod
12-05-2016, 01:53 AM
Just to reply to a couple points in your post......

*All the polishes and compounds in the 3D and HD line are fresh paint and body shop safe. AAT was designed for fresh finishes that are being sanded and to be used with a rotary buffer. HD is primarily for detailers working with DAs on factory type finishes, but are still very rotary friendly.

*AAT 501 & 502 work in harmony with each other to make a true 2 step system. Most importantly being 502 as it had to have enough kick to remove halograms that are being created by 501 and a wool pad. The pads also play a vital role to compliment this system as well. HD Cut & Polish can also do this too, but Cut won't cut nearly as quick/deep as 501 and may need an intermediate step on occasion prior to final finishing with Polish on certain fresh finishes.

David, I really appreciate the thorough response. It makes sense that I've noticed more correction from the AAT line but can not attain nearly as good of finish as I can from HD CUT+ and Polish+

When using AAT 501 rubbing compound is it recommended to do just 1-2 passes at low RPM and remove or work it "into the paint" and move to the next section then come back once the sanding marks have been removed and use 502 finishing polish to remove holograms as well as any additional residue left behind from 501?

I work on mostly single stage paint at a classic car gallery so I have the luxury of taking an entire week, sometimes two weeks to sand, correct, a finish a vehicle. I use a big dewalt 849x equipped with various sized backing plates to remove all of the 3000grit sanding marks. I ALWAYS start with 501 because at that price point I'm still trying to convince myself it is the best compound for the job, but the fact is it dries up before I even start my second section pass and it's so unforgiving that if I don't stop immediately I'll have to use some d114 or ONR to remove it. I can remove all of my sanding marks faster with cut+ and its also easy to remove (especially if i add one drop of polish+ to the pad every once in awhile)

Would you say that lubricated products like HD Cut, Adapt, and Polish make for a much smoother experience on a rotary and the easy wipe off gives the user far more flexibility.... especially when the products utilize a non-diminishing abrasive that continues working as long as you need it too? This brings me to my final thought which is, why would 3d want to integrate these two lines when they were formulated for two completely different end users? Also, you said it yourself...there are instances where Polish+ may not be able to remove all the marring left behind from Cut+ plus and a heavy wool cutting pad, which makes me think Adapt wasn't discontinued primarily because 3D was trying to simplify things, but to make detailers feel like they needed the higher priced AAT finishing polish.....which is a little deceptive because everything about the AAT formulations was designed with body shops in mind, not detailers.

LSNAutoDetailing
12-05-2016, 07:51 AM
501/502 work well with DA as well