PDA

View Full Version : Best product for filling swirls and minor scratches?

Pages : 1 [2]

tony58
12-02-2016, 11:18 AM
You might want to wait for Autogeek to start selling the new 3D 505...3D is hard to beat---hard to mess up...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/106367-3d-aat-505-correction-glaze-like-speed-but-better.html

986DTM
12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Try meguiar's ultimate liquid wax. It fills pretty nicely and looks really good too. I have poorboy's black hole and natty blue as well as wolfgang dgps but always end up coming back to the meguiar's just because its a pretty damn good wax for the money. Application is super easy and it can even be put on in the sun. It's my go to when I'm not working in the shade and/or too lazy to do black hole + dgps.

Zubair
12-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Poorboys BlackHole and White Diamond doesn't fill as well as Essence nor do they last as long as Essence. Essence topped with Essence Plus should give you phenomenal filling with durability to match.

zmcgovern45
12-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Curious who has actually tried to identify how much Essence is filling vs. correcting?

In my initial tests with Essence right after SEMA 2015 I was wiping sections down with 50% IPA immediately after polishing and saw no change in appearance. I also tried wiping a small spot with mineral spirits and saw no difference. Our polishing process involves no priming, and using just 2-3 very small dots of product on a yellow rupes pad. We work the product at a moderate machine speed (~4-4.5) until it is clear (2-3 passes) and then wipe residue away.

I like to use Essence as a final polish in a 2 step process to remove light marring and prep for coating, and since the product does have abrasives in it, I've had no problem believing it is truly correcting marring and not just covering it up. FWIW we still do eraser wipes after essence on all but the softest of paint just to be safe.

I bet if Essence was applied by hand or with a particularly soft pad the ability to fill may be increased, just wanted to share my experience trying to uncover the "filling vs. polishing" results for those who are trying to avoid removing any paint.

UTdetailing
12-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Meguiars #7 or #9 topped with #26 bot NXT 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BudgetPlan1
12-02-2016, 03:36 PM
When I purchased my polisher it came with Wolfgang glaze. I have used it but with a polisher. I don't know how it would be by hand.
Although it's called Finishing Glaze, the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze contains no fillers like an actual glaze does. It's a fine polish akin to Menzerna 3500.

chet31
12-03-2016, 02:22 AM
My finish is in very good to excellent condition. But after I polish, after a while, I can detect very light swirls. So I thought, why not use a glaze to spruce up the finish in between once/yr or twice/yr polishing sessions? I have tried E-Z Creme (this used to be the king of all glazes, nobody mentions it anymore) and PB Black Hole. Neither did squat in terms of filling. Neither did squat in terms of improving gloss. I did side by side comparisons, treated vs. untreated, no difference. So, I have pretty much given up on glazes. Invest your time and money on polishes. BTW, both EX-Creme and Black Hole, are good finish cleaners, as in the last step after polishing before applying a sealant. Also, mixed w/ IPA, pretty good tar removers.

fightnews
12-03-2016, 06:18 AM
Hey Guys,

I am very new to detailing and not quite ready to jump in to purchasing a DA and doing a proper paint correction, but I do want to at least apply a sealant. I purchased some Collinite 845, but my understanding is that this does not do much to fill the swirl marks and/or minor scratches. Since I am not doing a proper paint correction with a DA, what do you guys suggest I put on prior to 845 that will fill in some of the swirls and at least hide some of the imperfections? I am not looking for perfection, just something that will help the appearance a little.

Along with the Collinite I bought some Wolfgang Uber Rinseless and plan to apply Iron X and clay with the Nanoskin Fine Towel to prep the car for the Collinite.

I also had a question about using an isopropyl alcohol solution after claying. It is necessary to do that right before applying the Collinite or before putting down a glaze?

My car is a 2012 Altima in Steel Gray Metallic if that matters. I can add some pics later if that helps.

Love the forum!

Thanks!

the steel gray with metallic flake imo is the best color to hide swirls dirt and various imperfections. im not sure about the glaze, i use blackhole or showcar glaze but ones for black paint the other doesnt last long enough for me to recomend as a swirl hider

try menzerna top coat thats probably the best one they make

GSKR
12-03-2016, 07:39 AM
For 32.00 liquid glass will do it in one shot.