PDA

View Full Version : What would take Hydro2 off if I ever needed to?

GOTURBACK
12-01-2016, 08:13 PM
I just wanted to ask what would be required to remove Hydro2 from my vehicle if I ever needed to in the future? Does it have to be mechanically polished off like ceramic coatings?

Setec Astronomy
12-01-2016, 08:34 PM
That's going to be the most effective way to take any LSP off. It's not going to take as much effort as a real coating though.

Audios S6
12-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Opinions will differ depending on where you land on the Internet.

Here at AGO, based on quite a bit of bench testing and the insight of the resident care car product formulator and chemist, I believe the consensus is to mechanically remove if you need to be 100% sure it's gone. That goes for any LSP.

For what reason would you want to remove your LSP?

GOTURBACK
12-01-2016, 10:11 PM
This was my first time using the Hydro2 I washed and decon'd the wheels but did not remove and clay them before application thought that I might want to do that and then reapply it again. My other thought was if I wanted to try a different product maybe sometime in the future.

Sizzle Chest
12-01-2016, 10:22 PM
A light polish will do the job!

The Guz
12-02-2016, 03:43 AM
Here is some information that I found from Robert DiTerlizzi from detailing for dummies on facebook on removing hydro. I highlighted the part that may interest you if you don't wish to polish it off.

So this corvette client was supposed to let me know about coating his wheels with a ceramic coating by yesterday and he hadn't so this morning I washed his car after compounding/polishing and sprayed #Carpro Hydro2 on the wheels after deep cleaning them. No sooner did I finish coating the car and the client showed up (amazed I may add) and asked if I had coated the wheels?
Duh, you never gave me the ok!!
Well let me tell you, Hydro2 is not easy to remove!!!
#Carpro TarX sprayed on, let dwell, agitate, then sprayed with Meg's APC+ at 4:1, agitated again then IronX'd and finally I got it off!!!!
Damn this stuff is great!!
And just so you know, Eraser would not remove it!
Thanks goes to Corey Carruth for the added vote of confidence

GOTURBACK
12-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Here is some information that I found from Robert DiTerlizzi from detailing for dummies on facebook on removing hydro. I highlighted the part that may interest you if you don't wish to polish it off.

Wow Guz
That is some serious process, I wonder how you can actually tell that it is all removed? I thought maybe because it was a spray on rinse off that it would not be as tenacious as some of the more finicky to apply ceramic coatings the ease of application deceived me.

Setec Astronomy
12-02-2016, 08:10 AM
I'm more amazed that in that story, the client didn't ok the coating and insisted it be removed...I would expect the detailer to just delete that item from the bill and everyone would be happy.

Mike@ShineStruck
12-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Only polish is 100% sure way to remove an LSP
I doubt APC or anything the used actually took it off
Most likely just hid properties cause it left a surfactant behind

Mike@ShineStruck
12-02-2016, 08:20 AM
I'll be doing a video at some point with all the supposed products that people claim remove wax
I'll just use basic paste wax and maybe paste wax that has polymers/sealant in it depending on the outcome of first test..

Mike@ShineStruck
12-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Wow Guz
That is some serious process, I wonder how you can actually tell that it is all removed? I thought maybe because it was a spray on rinse off that it would not be as tenacious as some of the more finicky to apply ceramic coatings the ease of application deceived me.

Yeah in pretty sure it wasnt removed
Isn't hydr02 sio2. Product?
alkaline won't remove an Si02 ceramic coating on aluminum bottle when submerged
The alki messes up uncoated bottle though

Setec Astronomy
12-02-2016, 09:13 AM
As I have mentioned before...the whole LSP removal thing has kind of been turned on it's head in the last few years. So let's run through this scenario again...member wants to test a new LSP, his car is polished to perfection and pretty fresh LSP, but he wants to try a new LSP he just got. So he wants to "strip" his current (sealant, for the sake of argument) LSP.

He mixes up a bucket of a popular citrus car wash soap at the "stripping" dilution, washes the car, beading is gone! Presto, LSP removed! Or so it would appear.

So the member applies his new LSP, maybe he even does an IPA wipedown beforehand, and evaluates its performance on this "pristine" surface.

But in reality, at best he's applied it on top of his prior LSP (presuming he did the IPA wipedown and removed the surfactant gunk from the "stripping" wash), or at worst his new LSP is applied on top of a layer of surfactant gunk that is on top of the layer of his prior LSP.

Then you can throw into the mix people who polished off their prior LSP and ask yourself if all the polish residues had been removed, since some popular polishes are known to have some tenacious residues.

Kind of makes you think or re-think some of the conclusions that all of us have come to over the years about this kind of thing...and if we have really been putting LSP's on top of all kinds of residues, how much difference does it really make? I think Zach has been doing some experiments with applying coatings over not-OCD-cleaned surfaces and had some surprising results.

WRAPT C5Z06
12-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Corey from CarPro told me a cleaner polish. Something like Four Star Pre-Wax Cleaner.