PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good credit card company.

Pages : [1] 2

wytstang
11-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Like the title says I'm looking for a good credit card so I can put my Capital One card away (12.3 % APR). So what are you using and how do you like the company? Any body have an ASAA Platinum Master card (https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=bank_credit_cards_mastercard )? I only want to use CO for emergency's and nothing more. So I need /want a CC company that is east to deal with (good customer service) and does have fees at every corner.

Dust2Glory
11-11-2007, 01:13 PM
CC companies are the devil!!! Just cancel it, pay it off... save ur money and pay everything in cash!!!

tnbug4me
11-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Have you checked which cards your bank might offer and %? :cheers:

trhland
11-11-2007, 03:45 PM
CC companies are the devil!!! Just cancel it, pay it off... save ur money and pay everything in cash!!!
you are so right!!

Tonya
11-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Now gentlemen.... come on... the credit card companies are not the devil. Yes.... I work for a bank, but not the credit card division of the bank.
Wytstang credit cards have there place and effective uses. I would not close the card if you have had it a long time. Killr can explain that better than I can, it could mess with your credit score. However, I would pay it off if you can or do a balance transfer, if it makes since. Most companies will offer a balance transfer at 0% or a good rate. Just watch for processing fees do the math and make sure it makes since.
Credit cards are a good think IMO. The are convenient, great to use for on vacations... you need something to put tickets, hotels and rental cars on. You just have to make sure you pay it off when the bill comes! It's a way to conveniently to get an interest free loan for 28 days. I use mine for daily expenses and pay if off each month. It help increase your credit score when you use your credit wisely.
As far as USAA, my husband has been a member for a long time, he is very happy. I have mine where I work... go figure. :D
I hope this helps!

RTexasF
11-11-2007, 04:09 PM
If you don't have a balance on the card and you're in good standing (never late -never behind) just call and ask for a better rate. I do it all the time and it works. The one time the company (whoever it was) wouldn't drop the rate I dropped the card and had them send me a letter stating it was cancelled at the consumer's request.

Cash only is real nice and all but try to rent a car, get an airplane ticket, hotel room, and tons of other things where cash just don't cut it.

dengood1
11-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Cash only is real nice and all but try to rent a car, get an airplane ticket, hotel room, and tons of other things where cash just don't cut it.

A debit card works just as well, doesn't it?;)

m4gician
11-11-2007, 05:05 PM
If you're detailing as a business, have a few credit cards that get you points or rewards in someway, 1% - 2.5% back as a reward is always good, if equal your purchased cost less and these rewards accumulate.

Credit score is very important, it's more important than income in a lot of cases.

wytstang
11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I payed it off I own them nothing, normally I try and pay it off when the bill comes in or pay at a minimum $100-$150 depending how much I owe each billing cycle. My credit score is around mid to high 700's so I know I'm good. My wife has had problems with CO when on the phone trying to figure out things she did not understand. Each person would put her on hold for at least 20 minutes before she just gave up. I'm looking for a CC company that is set up to where you don't get transfered to 3-4 people and have to explain what is going on each time. Apparently USAA is like that, she normally never gets transfered and deals with just one person.
Tonya that was very insightful thank you it did in fact help. I don't what to close the card cause well it has a very high credit limit that I know others won't give me. I want to retire it for emergency use only. I think with my credit score USAA might be my best choice.
If anybody has anything to add please do so.

ScottB
11-11-2007, 07:24 PM

not really, you wont ever build a credit history with one and you'll never end up with a mortgage, low cost car loan, or credit cards after years without record :D

Tonya
11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
NO!!! NO!!!! NO!!! PLEASE DON'T EVER RENT A ROOM OR CAR ON A DEBIT CAR!!!! I am so glad you asked that question!
When you rent a room or a car they place a hold on the card for more than the cost of the room or car. That means they are holding your cash or the balance in your account. Each business is different on the amount they hold so it is hard to say. But here is what they do... I will use a hotel as an example. You check in... they place a hold on your card for whatever amount to cover any incidentals and what the room charges should be. Then you check out and pay for the room. They release the hold from the incidental, but guess what it takes at least 3 to 5 business day for the credit to process back into your account. So you just allowed them to tie up your balance/cash in your checking account. Rental car agencys do the exact some thing. So unless you have a twice as much money in your checking account than what you need don't ever do it. ;) Boy am I glad you asked that question! I hope this help some of you! I can't tell you how many times I get a phone call with a customer stuck on vacation with no cash because they have used a debit card.

Jimmie
11-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Here's a tip that works to retire credit cards. Freeze them and I mean literally. Fill a bowl half full of water; freeze it; place your credit cards on top; fill it the rest of the way with water; freeze it. They are still there for emergencies but not that easy to readily use. That was a tip that a financial advisor gave my daughter to help her dig out of credit card debt.

dengood1
11-11-2007, 07:42 PM
true, true........forgot about that! I haven't used the debit card for anything other than everyday purchases thank goodness! Thanks Tonya.
NO!!! NO!!!! NO!!! PLEASE DON'T EVER RENT A ROOM OR CAR ON A DEBIT CAR!!!! I am so glad you asked that question!
When you rent a room or a car they place a hold on the card for more than the cost of the room or car. That means they are holding your cash or the balance in your account. Each business is different on the amount they hold so it is hard to say. But here is what they do... I will use a hotel as an example. You check in... they place a hold on your card for whatever amount to cover any incidentals and what the room charges should be. Then you check out and pay for the room. They release the hold from the incidental, but guess what it takes at least 3 to 5 business day for the credit to process back into your account. So you just allowed them to tie up your balance/cash in your checking account. Rental car agencys do the exact some thing. So unless you have a twice as much money in your checking account than what you need don't ever do it. ;) Boy am I glad you asked that question! I hope this help some of you! I can't tell you how many times I get a phone call with a customer stuck on vacation with no cash because they have used a debit card.

dengood1
11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Here's a tip that works to retire credit cards. Freeze them and I mean literally. Fill a bowl half full of water; freeze it; place your credit cards on top; fill it the rest of the way with water; freeze it. They are still there for emergencies but not that easy to readily use. That was a tip that a financial advisor gave my daughter to help her dig out of credit card debt.

Funny! All you need is an ice pick! Good idea though.:D

Rsurfer
11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Try a credit union in your town or city. They seem to have the best rates, but require you to open an account with them, which is usally only a 100 bucks. Credit cards are great for internet purchases as you can always dispute the charge in case you don't receive the product ordered or it's not what you wanted.