PDA

View Full Version : Driver side door not working after detailing

Pages : [1] 2

ricksadowski
12-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Yesterday I detailed a 2012 Sienna van. Today the customer is telling me that she can't control the door locks or windows from driver side door only. She said she did check to make sure the windows lock was off. I only used steam to clean the door. Anyone have any thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parshooter
12-01-2016, 02:26 PM
So the passenger door controls work? Could be a bad switch. They do go out occasionally. The lock controls all switches except the driver's door.

Cruzscarwash
12-01-2016, 02:56 PM
I had a similar issue with a ford focus and the wipers not shutting off. I also used steam so im thinking that I was on an area to long and got moisture into the switch. im of course paying for the repair

Dan Tran
12-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Interesting. I am curious about this as I also use steam for my business. Makes me want to rethink my strategy of how to approach things.

Not to say anyone here was careless to say the least.

I have been in one situation where I was steaming something and all of the sudden I asked myself, "...that didn't look like that two seconds ago." — scratched head —

Unfortunately some things you can't predict no matter how careful.

Bottom line: these are bitter situations that will help us do better for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

ChevyHD
12-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Blowing it out with compressed air and or drying it with hair dryer would be what I would try. Hope you have success.

Mike lambert
12-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Blow it out, first make sure the switch for the sliding doors is on

rwright
12-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Was the steamer head wrapped with a towel or was it direct "contact"?

Jeremy1976
12-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Could be coincidence. Whatever it is see it through and make the customer happy.

GSKR
12-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Blowing it out with compressed air and or drying it with hair dryer would be what I would try. Hope you have success.
Seems to me moisture got into the metal tabs under the buttons therefore no electrical contact.

ricksadowski
12-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Thank you all for replying. The customer called me back about 4 hours later and said everything working fine.
I know I forgot to ask her to open the window a little when she got the van home last night. So maybe it was a moisture issue.

GSKR
12-01-2016, 07:07 PM
My charger did that but worse.it would lock and unlock by itself A 100 times while driving.finally cleared up on its own.This is why I stray from forced psi vapor steamers.

UTdetailing
12-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Impressed to see how many Professionals on here's first concern was taking care of the customer and making it right! You all make the industry great!

The shop I worked at (18-19 years ago) always did a very thorough inspection before starting work on a car. We tested all knobs, buttons, lights and engine noise and etc before a customer left. Did a lot of dealer work and they were notorious for saying we were responsible for damages.

Glad everything started working again.

wing commander
12-01-2016, 09:06 PM
Thank you all for replying. The customer called me back about 4 hours later and said everything working fine.
I know I forgot to ask her to open the window a little when she got the van home last night. So maybe it was a moisture issue.

When she first called you should have told her that the van is in a state of shock and needs to relearn how to operate so cleanly.It is similar to a bear coming out of the winter and it should be ok in a few hours. Of course I am joking but would have been a great legend.

GSKR
12-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Always happens dirty filfty rat cars do go into shock and somethings always happen.

OnSite Details
12-01-2016, 10:27 PM
Glad it cleared up on its own. Steamers are notorious for blasting hot moisture into electrical components. Just need to be careful, I think if you've detailed for long enough sooner or later it happens to everyone! I completely fried a Prius center console (LCD screen, radio, navigation etc etc) a few years ago with a forced vapor steamer....needless to say that was an expensive mistake however she was a sweet old lady and was very understanding. Accidents happen thankfully in our industry clients tend to be on the optimistic friendly side!