PDA

View Full Version : How I Store My Waxes- Pic

Pages : [1] 2 3

craigdt
11-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Just thought I`d share with everyone how I store my waxes.
Someone a long time ago mentioned this in passing, and I thought it was a genius idea.

The mini fridge keeps everything a constant temperature- some of them have been in there for 8 years, and they havent changed consistency in the least.

I just put it on the lowest (warmest) setting.

http://i.imgur.com/OxWGFLn.jpg?1

In this era of ultra-advanced sealants and coatings, there`s just something soothing about a well-stocked wax fridge! http://www.autopia.org/forums/images/smilies/cool.png

Thanks for reading!

MarkD51
11-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Honestly, I don't know if one needs to resort to such OCD to keep a wax product lasting as long as it can.
Here's some of my takes about such:

Firstly, if some products have not been what I call "Stably made", then it won't matter what you do you them. A Wax of course is a consist of different ingredients. Some in the olden days, you might be surprised what was in them.

The containers they come in: Yep, there's Plastic today, but years ago, everything was basically metal jars or cans. And yep, those could be a problem.
That rust could form inside. I don't think holding temperatures would make much of a difference in such cases.

With such metal cans with their hammer down lids, akin to a paint can, I know it was paramount that if you weren't able to achieve an air tight seal after using them, then air would eventually get to them, dry them up, or cause other problems. One tip I used to do, was to simply take a piece of Saran Wrap and place in between the can, and the lid, then firmly close shut. That this would help insure a better air-tight seal with the can. (The Same can be done with Plastic Cans with Screw on Lids)

I'm not too sure about temps, other than, like a fine musical instrument like a mint vintage Fender Strat, I wouldn't want to keep them anywhere I wouldn't wish to be, meaning not too cold, or too hot, or considerable temperature swings. That 60-70 degrees give a few should be fine. And yeah, as far as vintage Strats, some of these can easily approach $15K-$25K. Of course Some Violins can make those Strats look like plastic toy Ukeleles at Wally World

Again, and like I've said, I've run into a good few products over the years, that no matter what, they failed, and it was not any fault of the end user. Just happens is all.

But too, I have waxes on hand, that are pushing about 22 years of age, and look and will work like they were made yesterday.

hoyt66
11-30-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm a "wax addict" and here's my opinion ... if that fridge full of wax gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then brother do it up! Good on you!
I keep mine in a special cupboard inside and use electrical tape to seal the lid after I'm done. ( stole that idea from someone here.. I forget who.. rsurfer maybe ??)

craigdt
11-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Wow- that was a long post hating on my setup:cry:

But to call it OCD when this entire hobby is dedicated to literally the smallest details seems odd :laughing:

I realize this method is not for everyone, but it sure works for me!

Edit- meant to quote MarkD51

coles_paint_correction
11-30-2016, 08:36 PM
I think it's cool lol, for me i only have a bottle of 845 lol.

FUNX650
11-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Even Zymol, and Swissvax, do not
refrigerate their stock; and: aren't
they considered "elite", by some?

Bob

craigdt
11-30-2016, 08:47 PM
Even Zymol, and Swissvax, do not
refrigerate their stock; and: aren't
they considered "elite", by some?

Bob

Good thing I don't have Zymol or Swiss Vax!
Or not :cry:

Used to have a thermometer in there- I think it stayed in the mid 40's

custmsprty
11-30-2016, 08:51 PM
Cigars are stored in humidors and fine wines in wine cellars or wine chillers so if it makes you feel good go for it! :props:

I'd need a much bigger fridge :buffing:

Jeremy1976
11-30-2016, 08:57 PM
I bury mine in a deep hole in the backyard.

GSKR
11-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Just thought I`d share with everyone how I store my waxes.
Someone a long time ago mentioned this in passing, and I thought it was a genius idea.

The mini fridge keeps everything a constant temperature- some of them have been in there for 8 years, and they havent changed consistency in the least.

I just put it on the lowest (warmest) setting.

http://i.imgur.com/OxWGFLn.jpg?1

In this era of ultra-advanced sealants and coatings, there`s just something soothing about a well-stocked wax fridge! http://www.autopia.org/forums/images/smilies/cool.png

Thanks for reading!
Great idea!

craigdt
11-30-2016, 09:05 PM
Cigars are stored in humidors and fine wines in wine cellars or wine chillers so if it makes you feel good go for it! :props:

I'd need a much bigger fridge :buffing:

Very fitting for you to equate Meguiars #16 to a fine wine....

Houdini5150
11-30-2016, 11:40 PM
If you like it and it doesnt harm the product, why not. Does the fridge have a "wax-like" smell?

craigdt
12-01-2016, 12:01 AM
If you like it and it doesnt harm the product, why not. Does the fridge have a "wax-like" smell?

It does have a unique smell, yes.

To me, the smell is one of the most important features of a wax...

The Midnight Sun is very "natural" smelling, while the Megs #16 is like crayons.

My family thinks I'm a nut.

Eldorado2k
12-01-2016, 02:18 AM
That's alot of wax... Certainly enough to last the average person maintaining just the vehicles at home a lifetime. That makes me think, how many vehicles do you maintain up to the standards? If anyone is the type that's out there [or inside the comforts of your garage, to prevent the neighbors from thinking you're crazy, lol] waxing 1 of his vehicles just about every weekend, I hope it's you... Because if you don't wax frequently, then it becomes more about preserving them in that fridge than it ever is about actually putting them to good use and enjoying them. Wax on...

MarkD51
12-01-2016, 07:57 AM
Wow- that was a long post hating on my setup:cry:

But to call it OCD when this entire hobby is dedicated to literally the smallest details seems odd :laughing:

I realize this method is not for everyone, but it sure works for me!

Edit- meant to quote MarkD51

Certainly not hating what you do, and of course if doing such has an advantage in longevity, then by all means carry on. I surely understand that the accumulation of costs of what you pictured does cost some very good money, and I'm not against protecting that investment to the best of one's abilities. Back in the old days, I certainly had to chuck many $$$$ worth of products in the trash due to ignorance and perhaps laziness of leaving car care products to endure either the high heat of summer, or the freezing cold of winter.

Thus all of my car care products, every one of them that I have bought from Autogeek since I've become a member is stored indoors in a cabinet in my spare bedroom. And such better care could probably be most likely attested to folks like you who opened my eyes of such basic common sense, and then realized the importance of not being so careless with such products. I'm sure there's many out there, who either never gave such much thought, or just don't care.

I hope some of my thoughts though in my previous post did hold some merit, and again will say that a can's and jar's integrity can of course have an effect of a product's life, and is an important consideration to look into as well.

I can recall back in the olden days chucking many cans-jars of very good products, one as such comes to mind was the old original Blue Coral in the little Glass Jars with Metal screw on Lids. Had I perhaps transferred such products into a better vessel, they no doubt would've lasted much longer than they often did.