PDA

View Full Version : Products for machine polishing Mercedes C250

cheekyage
11-30-2016, 07:25 AM
Hi all

Looking to do a friends Mercedes C250 that is black in colour and am looking for advice on which pad and product combo would be suited.

I'm also after advice for LSP, what would you use for this euro?

Many thanks in advance [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shadwell
11-30-2016, 07:42 PM
Hi all

Looking to do a friends Mercedes C250 that is black in colour and am looking for advice on which pad and product combo would be suited.

I'm also after advice for LSP, what would you use for this euro?

Many thanks in advance [emoji4]

A few things to clarify before much useful information can be provided.
What year of car and does the paint code have a "C" in front of it ie ceramicoat from factory?
The black is metallic ie Obsidian?
What condition and degree of correction is required.

Some info in this regard will help.

For me on NON ceramicoat obsidian black, for light swirl removal I use Scholl blue spider and S20black on DA 12mm throw at speed 4-5.
I follow this with either collinite 845, fusso coat, for general useage... when I am playing about I'll use souveran liquid wax...
For weekly maintenance I use ONR and OCW mix as a detailing spray....
This finish also looks great with Essence and c quartz or reload...

For heavier correction i'll step up to scholl S3xxl and whatever pad is required (LC yellow BnS MF) , I haven't had much need to go to foamed wool on rotary on this car as its well maintained..

cheekyage
12-02-2016, 07:01 AM
The Mercedes colour is magnetide black.

Car is a 2012 model, I will confirm colour code.

I only have access to a random orbital with 8mm throw.

I also have some brand new Lake Country CCS pads - 2 orange, 2 black, 1 white.

How would the above pads and machine go?

Sharply Dressed
12-02-2016, 08:32 AM
As others have mentioned, the condition and paint system will dictate product, pads, etc. If the condition isn't bad, HD Speed AIO followed with HD Poxy will work. If you don't want to work too hard and paint is lightly swirled, Poorboy's Black Hole glaze followed with Collinite or Poxy.

shadwell
12-02-2016, 02:27 PM
The Mercedes colour is magnetide black.

Car is a 2012 model, I will confirm colour code.

I only have access to a random orbital with 8mm throw.

I also have some brand new Lake Country CCS pads - 2 orange, 2 black, 1 white.

How would the above pads and machine go?

well for light swirl correction the orange pad and for example Meguiars ultimate compound would certainly work.
but you ought carry out a test spot.. Always...
its likely you would want to follow that with Meguiars ultimate polish and the White pad as its black to remove any fine marring from the first step
in your scenario I would obtain at least 2 more orange and 1 more white pad as a minimum.
look up cleaning on the fly in the how to section
study the DA technique how to
amd make sure to swap out the pad after each larger panel eg good the one for both wings etc.
wash them out and spin them dry and while they air dry use the other two and rotate..

A one step such as HD speed is absolutely possible but the level of correction is unclear from your info.
but as a time saver it's worth a try..
If you go this route ensure to use a final sealant like collinite 845 or other as the protection in HD speed doesn't last a long time.

all the best.. Gotta run .. Got a black BMW to do.. 👍🏻👍🏻

LSNAutoDetailing
12-02-2016, 03:51 PM
As others have mentioned, I would first look at Mike's article to ensure you don't have cermiclear:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/47152-ceramiclear-paints-careful.html

WillSports3
12-02-2016, 04:37 PM
I would suggest carpro essence as it's fillers will last a very very long time.

cheekyage
12-04-2016, 05:16 AM
well for light swirl correction the orange pad and for example Meguiars ultimate compound would certainly work.
but you ought carry out a test spot.. Always...
its likely you would want to follow that with Meguiars ultimate polish and the White pad as its black to remove any fine marring from the first step
in your scenario I would obtain at least 2 more orange and 1 more white pad as a minimum.
look up cleaning on the fly in the how to section
study the DA technique how to
amd make sure to swap out the pad after each larger panel eg good the one for both wings etc.
wash them out and spin them dry and while they air dry use the other two and rotate..

A one step such as HD speed is absolutely possible but the level of correction is unclear from your info.
but as a time saver it's worth a try..
If you go this route ensure to use a final sealant like collinite 845 or other as the protection in HD speed doesn't last a long time.

all the best.. Gotta run .. Got a black BMW to do.. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Thanks a bunch for your reply shadwell [emoji846]

So how many of each pad do I need and how often do I need to change them?

I have 2x orange LC CCS and 2x black LC CCS, all of which are brand new.

With the mention of so many products I now feel a little overwhelmed and confused at the same time.

I'm only a beginner as this would pretty much be my first proper machine polish detail.

dlc95
12-04-2016, 06:30 AM
Thanks a bunch for your reply shadwell [emoji846]

So how many of each pad do I need and how often do I need to change them?

I have 2x orange LC CCS and 2x black LC CCS, all of which are brand new.

With the mention of so many products I now feel a little overwhelmed and confused at the same time.

I'm only a beginner as this would pretty much be my first proper machine polish detail.

I like to have at the very least four pads to do a normal size vehicle. Four for cutting and four for finish polishing.

As a beginner, I'm in agreement with Shadwell. With the right technique, there isn't much Meguiar's Ultimate line can't handle. From the compound to the wax, it can do wonders for your black paint. I've tried other brands and lines of product but keep returning to Meguiar's on a Porter Cable 7424. It's also what I recommend to those that have come to me seeking instruction.

Moeman
12-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Honestly, I'd just chill and enjoy your nice ride.

All of this detailing stuff matters more over time and if you are a long term owner....

Anyway again, enjoy. I love Mercs.

shadwell
12-04-2016, 07:07 PM
The how many pads do I need question is well answered in an article by Mike Phillips, do a search.. its good.

The logic is always the same though, maintain the pad between passes to keep the working face from becoming saturated with polish and clear-coat as this prevents the polishing process from being effective.

The number you "NEED" depends on the state of the paint (heavily oxidised) the level of correction (ie amount of clear being polished off) and the type of polish and pad.. i.e. how tolerant they are to material load etc.

And "knowing" all of this is a little hit and miss.. (its actually observed on the pad itself and the performance of the polishing as you progress)..
So the easy rule is "clean o the fly" (look it up on this site). and changes out pads every large panel or so (eg a hood and both wings, then a new one for doors and roof, and another for the rear quarters and trunk etc.. more if the correction is high..).....

And re products keeping it simple.. eg megs compound and polish then collinite 845 will give you very high performance for a very reasonable cost...

Sorry for the delay response, I was 10hrs on the BM on Saturday and another 8 on the Sunday for another bloody BMW... knackered now..

All the best.

royalkangaroo
12-06-2016, 10:03 PM
I corrected a black 2010 C300 a long time ago with the Meguiars Ultimate line with good results. Ultimate Compound with Megs flat foam cutting disc, Ultimate Polish with the Megs foam polishing disc, and topped with Ultimate Liquid Wax on a black foam finishing pad.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/bobmarley2005/IMG_1444_zps67aqzrgr.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/bobmarley2005/media/IMG_1444_zps67aqzrgr.jpg.html)

cheekyage
12-12-2016, 04:39 AM
I corrected a black 2010 C300 a long time ago with the Meguiars Ultimate line with good results. Ultimate Compound with Megs flat foam cutting disc, Ultimate Polish with the Megs foam polishing disc, and topped with Ultimate Liquid Wax on a black foam finishing pad.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/bobmarley2005/IMG_1444_zps67aqzrgr.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/bobmarley2005/media/IMG_1444_zps67aqzrgr.jpg.html)

Looks fantastic!

cheekyage
12-12-2016, 04:42 AM
I've inspected the car and the condition is quite decent, only has light and minimum swirls.

I'm thinking I could perhaps with a single stage plus LSP.

What would you guys recommend - should I go for an AIO or perhaps a polish using black pad plus LSP?

Thank you again.

shadwell
12-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Test spot...
In your situation (using what I have) i'd hit it with Scholl S20 with a blue spider pad on DA.. and verify the test spot.. (but I have gotten the results I was after with this combo)...
Then slap a coat of collinite 845 and be done with it.
Re apply the 845 each month to keep it looking good and read up on good washing and drying practice to minimise future swirls..