PDA

View Full Version : Mothers power ball for drill, which one for painted or clear coated wheels?

TTQ B4U
11-26-2016, 08:12 AM
Simple question that I just want confirmation on:

I see mothers power balls being used but am cornfused on which ones to use on coated or painted wheels. Red or yellow? Red shows labeled for metal polishing but I've read others using them on clear coated wheels but am afraid it might be too rough?

Crispy
11-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Red powerball is the least aggressive.

The yellow is more cut and for bare metal mostly.

You can use both on paint or bare metal depends on the compound/polish.

Don't know about powder coats (and can't find any advice on this forum about powder coated wheels).

fightnews
11-27-2016, 07:02 AM
you are not supposed to use any of them on clear coated wheels but people do anyway. i've done it with good results. just keep your drill moving all the time and be careful

forrest@mothers
11-27-2016, 08:47 AM
The PowerBall, PowerBall Mini or PowerCone can be used on a painted or coated wheel with the appropriate product. The yellow PowerBall Mini MD is for bare aluminum restoration and defect removal. The gold PowerBall 4Paint can also be used on a painted or coated wheeel. It's our softest/least aggressive PowerBall product.

The trick is to run it at a low (<300 rpm) speed on your cordless drill.

TTQ B4U
11-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Great information! Thank you everyone!! Off to order up what I need for summer wheel clean duty during the winter months while so many have them being prepared for storage.

Paul A.
11-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Forrest, i have the red "cone" and like it a lot for wheels. What is it best used for? And also at slower drill speeds?

forrest@mothers
11-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Forrest, i have the red "cone" and like it a lot for wheels. What is it best used for? And also at slower drill speeds?

It's made to polish rims. The conical shape does a better job at getting in to square corners (like where a spoke meets the hoop) than the round ball does. The most important thing is to use a polish that's appropriate to the rim finish - bare aluminum, chrome or painted/clear coated. All of the Power tools should be used at less than 300 rpm - which is still faster than hand polishing.

TTQ B4U
11-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Ordered up a Large Red, mini Red and the Red Cone. Thank you again!

Crispy
11-27-2016, 06:12 PM
The drill is direct drive like a rotary tool.

Slow speed is best with compound.

Faster worked good with red powerball and polish.

forrest@mothers
11-27-2016, 06:38 PM
The drill is direct drive like a rotary tool.

Slow speed is best with compound.

Faster worked good with red powerball and polish.

I have seen PowerBalls "explode" when subjected to high speed. Centrifugal force can cause the fingers to detach.

Paul A.
11-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the answer, Forrest!