PDA

View Full Version : last step before last step protection?

fightnews
11-26-2016, 06:17 AM
do u guys wipe the car down with quick detailer after polishing but before waxing or in between wax coats to make sure you got all the residue off?

Eldorado2k
11-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Preferably not. If there's that much dust then I'll use something like Megs D114, Megs regular Quik Detailer, or M34 Final Inspection would also be ideal... Besides those sort of quik detailers, I wouldn't want to use any others which contain any sort of hydrophobic or gloss enhancing properties which might affect the lsp from bonding properly.

Usually most dusting occurs after compounding not polishing.

Sent from my iPhone

fightnews
11-26-2016, 07:00 AM
Preferably not. If there's that much dust then I'll use something like Megs D114, Megs regular Quik Detailer, or M34 Final Inspection would also be ideal... Besides those sort of quik detailers, I wouldn't want to use any others which contain any sort of hydrophobic or gloss enhancing properties which might affect the lsp from bonding properly.

Sent from my iPhone

ya sometimes certain polish or even certain wax residue can be tough to get off a hundred percent

fightnews
11-26-2016, 07:14 AM

Sent from my iPhone

thats perfect ill grab some of that, i was going to get last touch on your recommendation but thats even better

i dont think to many of the gloss enhancing oils will effect wax bonding seeing as a lot of the glazes and finishing polishes are loaded with them

AutoApollo
11-26-2016, 07:35 AM
Ipa wipe down!!! And ensure everything is absolutely dry

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BMW435
11-26-2016, 08:16 AM
I use CarPro Eraser

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

spazzz
11-26-2016, 10:25 AM
After seeing IPA and Eraser being used before any LSPs, I decided to check the process out.
I am glad I did.

Now I use either Eraser or Optimum paint prep.
It doesn't take much liquid but you need a fair amount of towels

FUNX650
11-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Unless the LSPs specifically say
they have to be applied only to
those vehicle surfaces that have
undergone a wipe-down process
with, for example: IPA, Eraser,
and/or, other panel wipe products...

Then...I don't ever concern myself
with vehicles' surfaces having to be
"Squeaky Clean". In other words:

Why would I want to work backwards?

Bob

fightnews
11-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Bob

i agree and will even go one step further, i go out of my way to put those oils on the paint that others are taking away by doing an ipa wipedown. i use glazes i think they are good for the paint

Corey@OptimalDetailing
11-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Bob

This. I took this advice from Bob years ago and continue to do this. Only time I'll do an IPA, Eraser, or equivalent wipe-down is prior to a coating or to inspect under certain lighting before continuing my correction process. Are we really that concerned with the additional 30 days of protection due to "proper bonding"? I don't believe so. We are typically adding protection prior to the end of any LSP's lifespan.

David Fermani
11-26-2016, 01:36 PM
When I'm doing heavy paint corrections on non-coated cars, I really like using a waterless wash dampened towel to wipe the entire car down.

Paul A.
11-26-2016, 02:35 PM
I like CarPro Eraser after my final polish step and just before LSP application. And with plenty of surgically clean plush pile MF's. It's mainly just a "peace of mind" thing and to insure i have cleaned as much as i can off the paint from the correction and polish stages. I understand opinions it may be unnecessary however i just feel better before my careful and gentle LSP application.

I also have a bucket of ONR mixed up to address any dusting i occassionaly get from compounding.