PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin fine or medium wash mitt?

rockford33
11-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Have had the optieraser for awhile now, didn't seem to do much last time I used it a few weeks ago, still a lot of contaminants left based on the plastic baggie test. Was looking to upgrade to the nanoskin wash mitt, but not sure if fine or medium would be best.

For background, just using on my 2 daily drivers, not garaged, rarely polished but I do seal/wax them. I am leaning towards the fine mitt, figure it will leave less marring. Cars are 2010 subaru legacy (red) and 2014 subaru forester (dark grey).

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated and happy holidays!!

Neil

Dan K
11-25-2016, 04:49 PM
I recommend the fine mitt for your situation. That's what I have. It even works well on cars with heavier contamination.

Mike Phillips
11-25-2016, 05:27 PM
My take....

If you are going to machine polish the paint after using the mitt then go with the Medium Grade. This way if there is any marring you'll remove the marring when you machine polish.

If you're not going to do any machine polishing step then stick with the Fine Grade and make sure you wash and rinse the car THOROUGHLY before using the mitt so all loosened dirt on the car is flushed off.

Then use either a foam gun with the mitt or mix up some clean soapy water to use with the mitt. You can get away with the original soapy water you used if you have a Grit Guard in the bucket.

The big pictures is I think these mitts work great but it's important that all abrasive particles, (dirt and road grime) is loosened and flushed off the car before use.

It's also important to use good lubrication when running the mitts over paint.

Hope that helps...

:)

rockford33
11-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. Since I don't get the time to polish often, I think I will go with the fine mitt, less chance of marring. I'll be using it after a full wash and iron decon, so should get the cars pretty clean.

Thanks
Neil

Mantilgh
11-26-2016, 12:41 AM
Less marring is not no marring. I would be prepared to polish lightly afterwards.

coles_paint_correction
11-26-2016, 12:54 AM
Sounds like a fine mitt would be preferred, but a medium one does really great if you follow it up
with at least a polish if the car is already somewhat corrected. Still hard to say which to get due to not knowing what the car feels like
but if it's preety bad than hit with a medium nanoskin.