PDA

View Full Version : What conditioner penetrates sealed leather best (other than letherique)

Dredogol
11-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Hey all,

So I'm noticing most of the leather cleaners / conditioners out there don't really penetrate sealed/coated leather much.
I know natural oil is best of all leathers (ie neatsfoot oil).

Looking for a good liquid conditioner that can penetrate the pores, yet not clog them up and leave a shinny or sticky surface (other than letherique).

zero4
11-24-2016, 02:30 PM
I may be wrong but I don't think you want anything getting through the coating of modern leather. You want to apply some sort of protectant so that nothing gets through. Cleaning and protecting is what you want to do for modern automotive leather.

FUNX650
11-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Three things come to mind:

1.)
Impure (adulterated) Neatsfoot Oil
can lead to leather embrittlement.

2.)
Most leather conditioners' molecules
are too large to penetrate protected
leathers' coatings.

3.)
Since I don't use leather conditioners
on auto-leathers...it would be rather
disingenuous of me to recommend any.

Bob

Eric@CherryOnTop
11-25-2016, 11:00 AM
I think Bob is right, look into something that's more of a protectant. Two of my favorites are Chemical Guys Leather Serum, and Pinnacle Black Label leather and vinyl coating.

Rsurfer
11-25-2016, 01:39 PM
KIC (keep it clean)

David Fermani
11-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Hey all,

So I'm noticing most of the leather cleaners / conditioners out there don't really penetrate sealed/coated leather much.
I know natural oil is best of all leathers (ie neatsfoot oil).

Looking for a good liquid conditioner that can penetrate the pores, yet not clog them up and leave a shinny or sticky surface (other than letherique).

It you're dealing with a coated leather, the biggest thing you can do to prolong the life and appearance of the surface is keeping in clean (like Rsurfer mentioned). Maintaining the integrity of the urethane coating is what's vital, not the leather substrate that no product will really be able to penetrate into anyways. I tell clients to wipe down their leather with a clean damp towel every time they wash their car and it's been working well for nearly a decade.